My pretty much brand new computer would not start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
So I get home today and turn on my computer and a message comes up saying the computer could not start and did I want to do system restore. I said yes and it finally started. But wtf? The computer is less than a year old, HP Windows 7 and never given me any problems whatsoever.

I'm doing a backup of all my stuff to my external drive tonight but I'm still concerned about why this happened and what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. Anyone?

Maybe a failed Windows update? I have that with mine. I have a genuine version of Windows 7 and there's one update that it will keep trying to install over and over and every time it fails, so every day I was wasting like 45 minutes going through 5 restarts and lots of time rolling back. Right now I have my Windows Update service disabled (normally you can turn off Windows updates but I can't b/c of a policy on my computer controlled by something else at work).

Ohhh that's possible because I do remember its been telling me I've had windows updates the last couple of days, and I have updated it when it tells me to.

So if it happens again how do I disable the one update (or figure out which one it is?)

You can go into Automatic Updates in the control panel and turn if off. I can't, but, it's complicated. You should be able to. My work around is to go into Services and permanently disable the Windows Update service.

Right but I mean I dont want to turn off all updates.. just the one or whatever that's causing the computer to do that. Is that possible?

You can probably set it to notify you so you can choose which to install rather than automatically download and install.

I just read this via a google search. I wonder if this could be a problelm with the latest firefox upgrade. :down:

"Re: Firefox 3.6 problems

I keep getting page won't loads........ AND....

Well my computer was working this afternoon. When I cut it back on, it tells me it won't start. So I cut it off, and try again. This time a program comes up and it tells me mycomputer won't start, so it will try and fix it. It told me that it needed to revert to an earlier version of my computer, and that I might lose some programs recently downloaded, but no personal files. With no other choice, I did it.

So when it finally comes up, everything is there... But my Firefox won't open. So I go and downgrade.... APPARENTLY that website lets you download all sorts of versions of Firefox,"

That's exactly what happened to me.

I installed the previous version of firefox and I dont have any windows updates so hopefully that shouldnt happen again. :crack:

:hmm: I've been having issues where Firefox crashed a lot on me, and I've been trying to troubleshoot it by re-downloading the upgrade again. Never thought about actually downgrading it back to the previous version.

As far as your computer goes, the worst case scenario for a brand new computer is it could be loose or defective hardware. Sometimes a hard drive or memory chip can have a bad part, and only when your computer tries to access that bad part, it will throw an error. Can you run a Check Disk on your computer? I'm not familiar with Windows 7, but I usually run "chkdsk c: /f" from command prompt. Ooh, found an article on where the chkdsk utility is on Windows 7. There's something you can run from the menu, or at the end he also gives you the command if you want to run it from the command prompt.

Or did you accidentally kick it whether when it was on/off? :D I did that once when my PC was on, and it actually continued to work. But the next time I tried to restart it, it couldn't start Windows. My friend helped me troubleshoot it, and he found out that one of the memory chips got knocked a bit loose when I kicked it. He refastened it, and my computer worked again!

Back
Top Bottom