My laptop won't play CDs anymore...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Used to play them fine, and it still plays DVDs perfectly, just whenever I put a CD, blank, retail or otherwise it doesn't even recognise it, won't even come up. Yet when I go into Device Manager, it says it's working perfectly. :confused:

Tried looking for some help online... but couldn't understand the technical terms. Any solutions other than uninstalling/reinstalling the driver?

I had that problem too. Sadly enough I don't know the solution since we had a repairman fix it. :reject: So perhaps that would be an idea, or a friend who's very tech savvy or so?

Remove the drive from device manager (right click on it > Uninstall). Either restart the computer or go to Action > Scan for hardware changes. This will reinstall it.

Also check the IDE channel. If you have a "Primary" and a "Secondary", right click on the Secondary and open the Properties. Go to Advanced Settings, the transfer mode should be DMA. If you only have a Primary IDE then check the settings for that. (whether or not it's primary or secondary depends on whether your hard drive is SATA or ATA/IDE)

Optical drives don't really use a driver, but they do have firmware. You can check to see if there's updated firmware for that model.

Back
Top Bottom