My computer wont boot up - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Thoughts....

1. It probably gave you an error with the new HD in the old computer because I'm guessing the new computer is 64-bit and maybe the old one is not? So the disc isn't going to work in that computer, processor can't do it.

2. I would unplug everything, make sure all the contacts look clean (blow dust away) and plug back in.

3. When you try to boot the computer to the new hard drive, what is the error? It's going to say something because the drive is not formatted, but hopefully it will at least acknowledge that a drive is installed.

4. Likewise, if your BIOS can run diagnostics on a hard drive (like what you did when the original went bad), try that with the new drive just to make sure it recognizes the drive.

There's a difference between the drive itself failing and some sort of connection failing and sometimes that's hard to determine without starting to replace parts and see...

5. Perhaps the recovery disc can't work with an unformatted drive? Do you have any other recovery/diagnostic bootable discs or even a Windows XP disc? Like something you can boot off of, get to a command prompt, and have it format the new hard drive before reinstalling the OS from the HP disc.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Thoughts....

1. It probably gave you an error with the new HD in the old computer because I'm guessing the new computer is 64-bit and maybe the old one is not? So the disc isn't going to work in that computer, processor can't do it.
Yeah that's correct but it seemed to almost work until that point so it makes me wonder if some other hardware issue is going on in the new computer.

Quote:
3. When you try to boot the computer to the new hard drive, what is the error? It's going to say something because the drive is not formatted, but hopefully it will at least acknowledge that a drive is installed.
It gave me the message above about the USB or CD rom failing, then it wouldnt do anything. Back to the screen that said 'insert boot media disk then press any key'.

Quote:
4. Likewise, if your BIOS can run diagnostics on a hard drive (like what you did when the original went bad), try that with the new drive just to make sure it recognizes the drive.
I believe it does recognize the new drive in BIOS, it is in the boot priority list but its hard to get to BIOS. It has not always been responsive when trying to get there. It just hangs on the black screen.

Quote:
5. Perhaps the recovery disc can't work with an unformatted drive? Do you have any other recovery/diagnostic bootable discs or even a Windows XP disc? Like something you can boot off of, get to a command prompt, and have it format the new hard drive before reinstalling the OS from the HP disc.
HP assured me it would work with a new drive and the geek at best buy did too.

Gonna try to borrow another cd rom drive and try that, and then I give up. Gonna call a tech or take it somewhere.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Well it's the motherboard. Bye bye computer. I'm gonna look into that USB hard drive adapter to get my files off once I can afford a new computer :/
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
You could replace the board and get a new one with multiple SATA ports (I think most of them do anyway? I'm not real "up" on desktop computer technology). Then you wouldn't need a new computer or the adapter and you'd have two drives (not a bad idea).
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 02:55 AM
i

does tjis work?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

No.