My 1 month old iPod died - has this happened to anybody else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Grrrrrl

New Yorker
Hangin' out by the state line turning holy water i
My sister gave me an iPod 2GB nano for my birthday. (I love my sister!) When I first got it, I was so happy - it was so easy to use; I already had iTunes on my PC, it just opened right up and I added whatever I wanted and all was good. My new car has an MP3 player hookup so I could play my iPod in my new car. Life was good. I even considered buying a Mac for my next computer purchase.

Then last week, I went to turn on my iPod and listen to it on the way to work, and it seemed to be running some kind of diagnostic or something. It was on a DOS-like screen and I couldn't turn it off or do anything to it; all it said was something like "the report may take awhile..." so I figured when I got to work I'd try to mess with it some more. But when I got to work, I still couldn't turn it off or do anything to it, so I figured, it'll turn off on its own and I'll turn it back on from there. So a few hours later I went to play it, and it didn't turn on. I thought that was odd; I'd just charged it the day before, so there's no way it was out of juice. I was frustrated but I figured it'd be better when I could get home and plug it in to my PC (Windows XP Media Edition).

Nothing happens when I plug it into my PC. iTunes doesn't do anything special when I connect iPod to it. No screen on the iPod. iPod help didn't help either - I did the toggle hold thing about a dozen times, held it on a flat surface, didn't touch the click wheel when I put it on hold, held the menu and select buttons down at the same time while repeatedly chanting "Abba-Zabba" and stretching my right foot out at a 35 degree angle. Nothing. Not a fucking thing. It's dead. And it's brand new! :mad:

Has this happened to anybody? I've (briefly) checked around in this forum and couldn't find this particular situation. I've filled out a product replacement form but I'd much rather just have my iPod back without having to have it replaced. I'm also wondering if weird things like this happen with Macs too...this experience has made me want to stick with a PC.

And by the way, just before this happened, I downloaded the latest version of iTunes. After I downloaded it, iTunes started distorting and skipping around whenever I used my mouse. It pissed me off. I re-downloaded, and it still happened. I stopped listening to iTunes for awhile; it seems like it's playing okay now but I swear I still hear some intermittent skipping.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? When my iPods broke, I'd take it back to the store and they replaced it instantaneously (when there was no solution to fixing it).

Lemon Grrrrrl said:

Has this happened to anybody? I've (briefly) checked around in this forum and couldn't find this particular situation. I've filled out a product replacement form but I'd much rather just have my iPod back without having to have it replaced. I'm also wondering if weird things like this happen with Macs too...this experience has made me want to stick with a PC.

Any computer line is going to have failures, but generally no, Macs aren't like this. We have 5 Macs in the house and they're quite reliable. The iPods here are unfortunately a different story, I think my SO is on his 3rd replacement within the last year. :|

PlaTheGreat said:
Do you have an Apple store nearby? When my iPods broke, I'd take it back to the store and they replaced it instantaneously (when there was no solution to fixing it).

I'm on my 4-5 Ipod this year because they broke...I got them all replaced by the Apple Store..

Yeah, the Apple store has been amazingly generous to me so I always feel the need to stand up for them.
Once I went back about 20 minutes after getting a new iPod because the screen had a line going across it. I felt really guilty about asking for a brand new iPod because of that, but my friend insisted. I went back in and the guy immediately asked me what was wrong and fetched me another iPod right away and gave me an extra year long warranty for my problems.
...which expires next month. :uhoh:

I bought a refurbished 20gb iPod from the apple.com store and it died about 2 weeks after I got it, so I sent it back, got a new one, it's been wonderful since. (knock on wood)

Lemon Grrrl, are you running iTunes version 7.1 on your nano? Last night I had to restore my video iPod because it wouldn't synch after I installed iTunes version 7 on my computer. Running restore (which wipes your iPod totally clean, BTW) solved my problem. If that hadn't worked, I was thisclose to taking it, my Apple Care warranty, and my PC laptop to my nearby Apple Store in utter frustration.

Try running restore -- but run Apple's suggested other four steps and back up your music first.

jobob said:
Lemon Grrrl, are you running iTunes version 7.1 on your nano? Last night I had to restore my video iPod because it wouldn't synch after I installed iTunes version 7 on my computer. Running restore (which wipes your iPod totally clean, BTW) solved my problem.

The same thing happened to me with my 4th gen black and white 2 year old ipod. Are a lot of people having this problem?

jobob, thanks for the input but the thing's completely dead. I can't turn it on at all. I sent it back for a replacement. But I'm assuming I was running the latest version - it updates each time I plug it in to the computer, right? (Well it did when it was running properly.) I should have a new one early next week.

I wonder if Apple is making them die on purpose so they can figure out what we have loaded onto them! (Let the conspiracy theories begin!) :wink: Hopefully my new one will work smoothly. *crosses fingers*

Also, I won't hold this against Apple in the future - when I need a new computer I'll seriously look into a Mac. :yes: And I looked into finding an Apple store nearby, but wouldn't ya know it, I couldn't find one up in Seattle. Wonder why? :shrug: (Actually I looked online to see if I could find a physical store somewhere, and all I could find was a phone number to call, and I decided I didn't want to do that because I'd get stuck in answering machine hell - "For English, press 1. If you would like more information about the iPod nano, press 2. If you would like to press more buttons, press 3.")

Last edited:
Lemon Grrrrrl said:
And I looked into finding an Apple store nearby, but wouldn't ya know it, I couldn't find one up in Seattle. Wonder why? :shrug: (Actually I looked online to see if I could find a physical store somewhere, and all I could find was a phone number to call, and I decided I didn't want to do that because I'd get stuck in answering machine hell - "For English, press 1. If you would like more information about the iPod nano, press 2. If you would like to press more buttons, press 3.")

Hey LG!

Sorry to hear about your dead Ipod. :(

But where on earth did you look online?

'Cause there is an Apple Store in Seattle.
Another store is probably even closer to you.

Take a look here (for future reference):

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

:shrug: Oh well. I went through the link on iTunes for iPod Service and Support, looked there for a bit but didn't see anything other than a number to call. There is one close to me in the Alderwood Mall. Too bad that link wasn't easily found from the iPod Service and Support link. Hopefully I won't have to go to the Apple Store!

:hug: Thanks Mimi!

Back
Top Bottom