Me + Adobe Photoshop = suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
... I think this is the proper forum, if not feel free to move my post.

I'm hoping there are some Photoshop pros around here. I'm taking an Advertising Design class this semester where I'm required to develop ad copy & graphic design. I'm not very proficient with Photoshop, and I'm having trouble keeping up with the assignments. I stayed 3 hrs. after class tonight to tinker with the program after asking my professor and classmates for guidance with a few tricks, but nobody seemed to have any answers. I even consulted the Photoshop Help manual multiple times.

A recurring problem I have has to do with cropping out parts of an image for use in an ad layout. Take this image for example:

Smirnoff_ice.jpg

What I want to do is get rid of the surrounding white space, that way when I place the graphic into InDesign there's no problems with setting background colors, text wrapping etc. I have a feeling I'll need to create a new layer to do this. I'm able to crop items out of an image using the lasso tool, but there still remains a white void.

Also, if anyone knows how I might go about defining the edges of the bottle so it'll pop on a white background, that information is also appreciated. I tried using the burn tool but I think that's the wrong idea. I know there's a way to adjust the contrast on the entire image, but really all I want is to shade/define the edges.

I'm posting this as a last resort--my investigation has been fruitless :huh: it's very frustrating to have an ad idea but not have the skills to produce it on paper. Atleast I don't plan to be a graphic designer. Thanks for any help!

Your easiest bet to get around this problem if you want to remove the negative space around the bottle is to use the pen tool and trace a path around the object. This allows you to control the shape and reposition your path if you need to refine it. Once you trace a path just turn that into a selection and either cut out the object or inverse the selection and delete the background. I personally like to work with a layer mask and use the Channels to mask out areas but I don't know if that would be harder for you at this point. If you want to make the edges of the bottle pop out more I would just suggest for you to use the filter Unsharp Mask and play with the settings to get it how you like it. By sharpening the glass object it should enhance some of the reflective light that may be in the edges of the bottle. Just dont let the image get washed out and it should be okay in front of a white background. Have fun with it - just try to focus more on your idea and dont get too hung up with the technical details.

Calvin Hobbes, thank you so much! This is very helpful. I'll try it out first thing Monday, once the lab opens. Yes, it will probably be easier for me to use the pen tool as I've never worked with layer masks & am unsure about the Channels. Baby steps. :wink: Your advice to not get hung up on details is well taken, I'm guilty of being a perfectionist.

bono_man :giggle: it's good that I'm not alone in my suckiness.

i would probably copy the image onto a new layer, trace around the bottle using the lasso tools. also if i remember correctly saving the image as an eps will preserve the cropped part once you crop it. if you save it as a tif or jpg it won't always be transparent if you import it into another program like pagemaker or illustrator.

of course this one i just saved as a gif, and it looks pretty crappy cuz i did it in about 10 minutes :reject: :shifty:

Smirnoff_ice_gif.gif

ABEL, thanks for the eps tip, I had not idea that jpg may not work when importing the image :hmm:

Calvin Hobbes, did you just design that :eek: it's excellent. I wish I could watch as these things are done, or see a step-by-step guide of how it was achieved. I wouldn't know the first thing about getting that background for example. Is it just a template? Also I'd be happy to post my ad when I'm done. Would I have to save the entire document as a jpg?

I have a new math equation:

Me + Smirnoff Ice = drunk :drunk:

ABEL!!! ahck!!! That's the funniest thing I think I've ever seen! I'm not sure how you did it :laugh:

And I had a few to drink, so I had to squint and make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me!!

haha... well, Pope Bono and I have graced the bottle of Smirnoff Ice... I think I might be honored! :lol:

achtung_bebe, i'm not sure which version of photoshop you have, but the later editions come with a feature on the toolbar called the pen tool. this tool is REALLY REALLY REALLY handy and good for using to cut out things. you should give it a try.
basically, you can create points and bend them and shape them to the curve of the picture you want to cut out. but make sure you zoom at 300% on your picture, and take your time to trace along the edges with the pen tool for best results.
hope it works out! =)
good luck with it! i would take a screenshot and/or do a little demo for you, but the photoshop on my computer expired and i dont want to pay to get the new version =/

Achtung_Bebe said:
ABEL, thanks for the eps tip, I had not idea that jpg may not work when importing the image :hmm:

Calvin Hobbes, did you just design that :eek: it's excellent. I wish I could watch as these things are done, or see a step-by-step guide of how it was achieved. I wouldn't know the first thing about getting that background for example. Is it just a template? Also I'd be happy to post my ad when I'm done. Would I have to save the entire document as a jpg?

I have a new math equation:

Me + Smirnoff Ice = drunk :drunk:

That background is a Halftone Pattern - just another cheesy filter. A one button push miracle. I'm gonna send you a link that has the psd so that you can see how it's layered and you'll be able to play around with it. It's pretty easy to make something like that. OH, and yes, you can export your file from indesign as a jpeg so that should be simple enough. :yes:

Abel, your ad makes one feel like they are swimming in Vodka. :drool:

thnx tuwie, I'll have to explore the pen tool--the version we use at school does indeed have this.

Calvin Hobbes, thanks so much for sending the file. :) I will definately take a look around tomorrow (well today, technically).

Back
Top Bottom