Mac questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I bought a Macbook last week and so far I really love everything about it. But I have a few questions for more experienced Mac users. If I want to save a picture I found on the internet how do I do that? Is there a Mac equivalent of MS Paint? Or do I need Photoshop? I had Photoshop on my PC but I hardly used it enough for me to justify buying it for this computer. I did buy iWork with the Mac since it came at a discounted rate.

Also, how come when I upload pictures onto Facebook from my Mac they are significantly smaller than the pictures I uploaded from my PC? Same camera, memory card, etc. The only thing different is the computer. Is there anything I can do to change the size of uploads?

Do you mean right click save, or a screen shot? To take a screen shot you do Apple Shift 4 (I think, I was doing it earlier at work).

The right click button isn't setup by default on Macs for some reason, at least it wasn't on mine. If you go into System Preferences (or whatever it's called, I'm still on my work computer) you can set up the right click to work the same way as on a PC, so you'll have the "save picture" option there when you do.

Picture size shouldn't change, do you possibly have your overall resolution set differently on the Mac so it looks smaller?

I can never remember how to take screen shots, Liesje. I have to look it up every time I need to. So annoying :laugh:

I don't mean a screen shot, just a copy and paste thing but I didn't know where to paste it. I used to put things in Paint. I did figure out the save picture thing after I posted but I was mainly just wondering if there was an Paint option for Mac. I had a picture the other day that I uploaded that I wanted to flip but wasn't able to do that in iPhoto. I uploaded to photobucket and flipped it there but I feel like that's something I should be able to do without going to an online program.

My right click was set up already as it would be on a PC.

The pics on my FB page that were uploaded from my PC are larger than the ones that were uploaded from my Mac. I can tell when I'm looking at my most recent album what computer was used because they get smaller. The PC uploaded pics are the same size on my Mac that they were on a PC. It's the Mac uploaded pics that are smaller. Not sure if that makes any sense. I don't know how else to explain it.

pressing control while clicking also brings up the little box that you'd see by right clicking. since i have a laptop (lol one button), i just do that. i don't even know if you can change how the touchpad works though.

aaanyway, depending on what you want to do with a photo, preview can do some basic things, like cropping and such. i'm not sure if you can doodle with it though. there is a free program though called graphicconverter (yeah, it's all one word, wtf) that is nice. you can pay to upgrade though if you'd like, but you can use the free one for as long as you want.

i'm not sure why your uploaded photos would be smaller, though. how are you uploading them? i usually just stick all my photos (the ones i take with my digital camera, anyway) on iphoto and use the export feature to put them on facebook. it's a lot faster and there's no software to download which is nice.

I just plugged in my camera and saved them in iPhoto. I just looked at the export option and I'm not sure I get it yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I learn more and more everyday about this thing.

And yes you can change your touchpad. At least on mine I can. The guy at the Apple store told me they made changes to the touchpad so if I was a Mac user there would be new things. But since I'm a newbie user it didn't matter because I had to learn it all anyways.

ok...weird but I think I sort of have this now. I did the export to FB thing. The pics are a normal size but when I go to FB itself and try to upload pics there they come up a smaller size. Not a thumbnail or anything like that but just slightly smaller. But I don't like that it created a new album and doesn't ask which album I want to upload to. :huh:

I'm not sure what all has been asked or answered so far, so pardon any duplication.

I use the two-finger option on my MacBook all of the time. I forget that I'm using it. Two fingers will scroll up/down and side/side on your touch pad. For capturing a picture, just just have 2 fingers on your touch pad and press the button. It should bring up the option box, then obviously do a "Save Image As." For other things you want to capture, use Preview. With the item onscreen, open Preview, go under File and select Grab. Then you can draw a box around whatever or just take a screenshot.

I think you have to unable the 2-finger feature on the touch pad.

Mark

I'm still not sure how to do get my pictures from my computer onto FB into an existing album without it creating a new album. If I go to FB and choose to upload my pictures from there, my pictures upload smaller than they are. If I go to iPhoto and select the upload to FB option, there is no drop down box of any kind to select other than who I want to have access to the photo (everyone, friends of friends, my network, etc). Then when I upload the pics they go into a brand new album.

I really like this computer and a lot of the features but I really still feel completely limited to being able to do things with pictures unless I buy a program like Photoshop. I don't get why I can't "flip" a picture in iPhoto without having to log onto Photobucket, flipping it there and then copying it back to iPhoto. Isn't there an easier way? There's a few other things that I almost feel like I've taken a step backwards with this computer. I can't think of them offhand right now but I've had a few :doh: moments over the past few weeks where I just want to log onto one of my old PC's because it seems easier. But I'm still overall happy with purchasing a Mac. Just got to get used to it.....

I don't get why I can't "flip" a picture in iPhoto without having to log onto Photobucket, flipping it there and then copying it back to iPhoto. Isn't there an easier way? There's a few other things that I almost feel like I've taken a step backwards with this computer. I can't think of them offhand right now but I've had a few :doh: moments over the past few weeks where I just want to log onto one of my old PC's.

In iPhoto, click the picture, edit on the bottom, little arrow thing for rotate, click "Done."

Apple has a learning curve, but once you get it, you'll find they are way less frustrating than Windows.

In iPhoto, click the picture, edit on the bottom, little arrow thing for rotate, click "Done."

Apple has a learning curve, but once you get it, you'll find they are way less frustrating than Windows.

I don't want to rotate per se. I want to actually flip a picture....like a backwards pic. Not sure how to really explain it other than that. I get the rotating part but it only turns it, it doesn't flip it.

I don't want to rotate per se. I want to actually flip a picture....like a backwards pic. Not sure how to really explain it other than that. I get the rotating part but it only turns it, it doesn't flip it.

So if I'm looking left, you want to look right? You can do that in Preview, I'm pretty sure.

:crack: the option is not available.

Screenshot2010-03-04at35131PM.png

You may have to open the image itself in iPhoto before you can use that option.

Preview is an application, so it should be in the application folder. Or if you drag the picture to the desktop, when you click it, Preview should open.

still doesn't work....I have the picture opened in iPhoto, clicked preview, then tools and then my menu looks exactly like my screen shot.

Back
Top Bottom