Mac Disc Usage????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Mac peoples...are there any utilities (either to be d/l or on the OS) that will show me the Mac hard drive and give me like a graph or a list of disc usage? This Mac's hard drive is almost totally full and we cannot figure out what is taking up all of the space. I don't work on Mac's very often, but I have used these utilities for PCs.

And I'm curious what was taking up the space, if I might ask.

In searching through my MacBook to free up some space, I was amazed at how much memory Garage Band stuff took, as well as the chat music stuff (if I remember right).

Mark

I don't remember, I'll check it tomorrow when I'm back at work.

Mark, she had all these folders in really weird places. I check her Music and Pictures and there wasn't hardly anything in there. Then I ran the program and it said 12.2GB were classified as "Documents" and then I found all these old folders all over the place. She only has a 20GB drive (it's an older iBook).

On my MacBook there are 2.5 GB of space used by Garage Band and iLife Sound Effects. If you don't use those programs you could probably delete those folders and get the space back.

On the Macintosh HD look under Library, then Audio, then Apple Loops, then Apple.

Mark

She had 10GB in log files, that's what the issue was. Deleted those and it was fine. She will have to monitor it and see if those come back. If so, there are other issues we don't know about that the computer is constantly logging.

^:yes:

I've used both WhatSize and Omni Disk Sweeper, neither of them have any sort of virus. Plus, you wouldn't get a virus anyway. :wink:

:hmm: Interesting. For the most part, as long as the program is reputable, you'll have no problems. And, I'd wait to update programs until a little after their release, just to avoid any issues that could come up.

When you install OSX (or it comes on your computer) it automatically has printer drivers for every possible printer imaginable. I usually reinstall anytime I get a new computer, for that reason, and to remove all the language packs that can take up a few GBs.

It's safe to delete those folders for the printers, as long as you don't use them. If somewhere down the road you need a printer, you can always get it from the manufacturer.

And, a good program to get rid of unneeded languages is Monolingual. http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

With WhatSize, you can right click (or Ctrl-click, depending on your settings) and send it to the trash.

Make sure you're not deleting anything in the System folder though. And, it does warn you about moving it to the trash, so check to make sure that's the file/folder you want to delete. Last night, I did a big oops and deleted my entire U2 folder in iTunes. Luckily, I have Time Machine backups with Leopard, so I could restore it. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom