Mac Book Pro - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
One other thing I've noticed with MacBooks (and Pros) is that their wireless is not as stable for some reason. For example, we have wireless all over our law building and sometimes when it's spotty and goes down to a low signal, the PC kids will hang on, although surfing will be slow, but the MacBooks tend to drop offline entirely. I'm not sure what the problem is, they're fine the rest of the time, it's only when the signal becomes very weak that there's a problem.
When we used to steal internet from our neighbors I was able to be several feet away from the window and still get a connection, while my mom's PC laptop had to be right next to the window to even get the most minor connection.

Quote:
Hey guys I bought the Mac yesterday so far no complaints but it's gonna take me a little time to get used to the interface, since most of my life i've used Microsoft
I didn't bought Applecare but apparently I have 9 months to buy it, however I'll probably buy it next month

Ill probably continue to bother you with stupid questions but thanks for everything your comments and advice have been very helpful
Congrats! And, yep, you don't have to buy Applecare for about a year...I forgot to mention that before.

The only other thing I could suggest is that if you find that you're doing very, very graphics intensive work and the computer slows down all the time, you should upgrade your RAM to 2GB. But, if you have no trouble, 1GB is the way to go, that's what I have in my MacBook, and I have no problems with it.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
has a

Local Time: 01:29 PM
I'll second that vote for buying the Apple Care extended warranty. Of the 4 Macs I've bought new (we run a small, marketing business from our home), I've bought the Apple Care for each. I've had to use the warranty twice; both repair times have more than paid for all 4 of the extended warranties. Not to say we've had problems with our Macs, they have been fantastic. Both repairs came after about 3 years of heavy use.

Please do keep us informed, and thanks for the input on the regular Mac Book. I have to see how taxes go before I commit to buying one, but I'm looking forward to it.

And, I'll say again, DO upgrade your RAM. It's the key difference between Macs and PCs. Macs let a lot more info flow across the RAM to keep their functions fluid, so it really can be a noticeable difference. And, at least on the Titanium laptops, it's easy to replace the RAM yourself (I assume it's easy on the Mac Books, too).

Mark

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #18
Refugee

ok does anyone know how to open up .exe documents on mac?????????????????
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
I don't think you can, you need Mac installers for programs. It actually much easier, you just download a single file and put it in the Applications folder and you're done, but Windows executables are designed to run on Macs.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #20
Refugee

thanks Liesje ok...another dumb question why can't I see files what codec do I need I already downloaded a couple from DivX and ZyGoVideo but they don't seem to work for that particular format
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #21
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:29 PM
What kind of files are you trying to view? I use VLC player and Flip4Mac (for WMP files), I don't run across much that won't play.

My MBP is arriving any day now, this thread is making me a bit nervous about the display. *crosses fingers* Congrats on your purchase!!

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #22
Refugee

oh sorry, I could swear I put Avi. files............theres some quicktime files that do open and some that don't...videos I mean