Little funny things that little funny people do with little cell phones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just_Boy

The Fly
As I said, I used a Nokia 2600 in my early teenage years (the prime of life for finding tricks and cracks). Unfortunately I have forgotten most of those tricks now.

I don't think these are illegal or boring et all. (But what do I know ? I'm just a boy)

These work on most of the early Nokia sets

*#0000# -Displays the versions of softwares.

*#92702689# -Details of warranty. Displays serial no., made, date of Manufacture, details of last repair etc.
Funny thing is that it allows you to edit the "purchasing date". Funnier thing is that the 'back/exit' button doesn't work. It's just impossible to exit that screen. I had to remove the battery.

New ones-
*#5512# - upside down screen
*#5513/4#- Rotate 90 degree
*#5511# - Back to normal.

I'll try to dig up the real funny ones. Feel free to add.

New ones-
*#5512# - upside down screen
*#5513/4#- Rotate 90 degree
*#5511# - Back to normal.

Works on the following NOKIA Models:
*#67705646# Clears the operator log

For a few Motorola models
Finding Distance From Base Station - Place a call, when it is answered, press [MENU] until 'Eng Field Option' is displayed, press [OK], select 'Active Cell', press [OK], press [MENU] until 'Time Adv xxx' appears, where xxx is a number. Multiply this number by 550, and the result is the distance from the RBS (Radio Base Station), in meters.

I got a cell phone and it was a free Samsung Convoy. Anyone know how I can make a ring tone for it? I did this once with my work phone, had to download special software b/c the phone only recognized a certain bitrate and then had to Bluetooth the file onto the phone. If it's always that complicated I'm not sure it's worth it...

Screw the codes ! I can't find them and even if I do find them, they won't work on today's models.:reject:

But here is something a bit interesting.:hyper:
A few months ago someone claimed that a cell phone battery can be charged with a single blade of grass. Just by putting the grass between the battery terminal and the pin on the phone and switching on the phone the battery will be full. It just went viral in my college. Everyone was trying it and sometimes it even appeared to be working. :ohmy:

The most popular explanation was 'static charge on the blade of grass'. But I find it really hard to believe. A single blade of grass can't possibly possess enough static electricity to charge a battery. Anyways, when I tried it a few times I found that the battery indicator does go up a bit, but only when there is some moisture on the grass.:hmm:

Same thing happens when I put some saliva on the terminals. So I think it's just a case of the moisture improving the conductivity of the terminals to a little extent. But a few people claim that they can fully charge a virtually dead battery. If that's the case then probably too much moisture is just shorting it and the phone is miss-reporting the battery's charge.:yes:

You can't break the laws of thermodynamics just like that !:no:

And here's an alternative way of charging a cell phone battery that actually works.
YouTube - how to charge your cell phone with usual batteries

I've checked and it works.:up:

But since the clip has no audio or text, it may be a bit hard to follow. Actually it's quite simple. Just get the things and arrange them as shown in the circuit diagram in the beginning of the clip.

He makes the task of putting in the resistor look exceedingly complex but that's because he is putting it in the battery holder.

- Different cell phones require different voltage for charging, so you'll have to figure out the no. of cells required.( most phones need 5 to 5.5V so four 1.2V cells or three 1.5V cells should be enough)

-Do use a resistor or the spike current may damage your phone.

-Correct polarity is essential.

It's a totally useless method if you have a charger, but it's way cooler !:cool:

So... what would be the consequences of not using a resistor?
Using a resistor is not absolutely necessary. Actually it's required just for a few seconds after you first hook up the circuit, just to avoid any voltage spike. And if don't want to use one, then keep the voltage a little lower than the required charging voltage.

Since there are a lot of capacitors and coils in phone's circuit, there is a possibility of a voltage spike when the current starts to flow in in the circuit without any resistance. Even a small transient may damage the phone.

So it's advisable to use a 1 or 2 ohm resistor. When I tried it, I used a rheostat. Kept it at 2 ohm in the beginning and then reduced it to 0.5

Alright thanks, just wondering. I'm pretty familiar with basic/amateur wiring and circutry (if that's a word). Probably would never attempt it on my phone, but it's a good thing to be able to know just in case.

Back
Top Bottom