Laptops with metal cases?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I'm helping a friend spec out some possibilities for a new laptop. We are only interested in ones with metal cases. So far all I can think of are the HP Envy, MacBook Pro, Dell Vostro, and Dell XPS. Any others on the market?

If we're talking metal gadget design, why bring anything that doesn't have the word Macbook in its name into the discussion? I've owned 2 and the construction is flawless, solid and gorgeous. It of course comes down to OS preference though I suppose, but with the Macbook you whichever OS you want.

Because the Mac version of what we're looking at costs over a thousand dollars more, with half the warranty. OS means nothing since the software we both use runs on either platform.

Right now it's down to the MBP and the Envy. I think we're ruling out the Dell models because they are still "cheap" (plastic bezels, etc). Same with the Asus model I looked at, not really comparable.

Are the dvs really metal cases? I've worked on a few and they feel plastic. They look similar to the Envy but do not feel the same to me at all. I think they have a "brushed aluminum" finish but the case itself is not metal.

Maybe I've not encountered a true metal case, but mine certainly appears more than just a finish. :shrug:

I think Sony has a couple of their Vaio series in metal casings, particularly the ultra portable ones (the 11inch-13 inch screens).

My current Sony Vaio SZ has a magnesium alloy casing. Very sturdy and durable. Perfect for traveling. In 3 years I've dropped it so many times from the bed to the carpeted floor (well, the fall is often softened by the pile of clothes), but the hard drive shock protection has always kicked in, and I have not had any problem whatsoever.

EDIT: their current S series apparently uses magnesium alloy casing too. they used to have the top-of-the-line Z series in metal casing too, but I guess they don't sell them anymore? :scratch:

Thanks!

We went with a 15" MacBook Pro. The Envy was the front-runner but the timing of the MBP was better (she was able to get it over a weekend where her car was in the shop).

Back
Top Bottom