Laptops vs Desktops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laptops vs Desktops - Which do you prefer and why?

• Laptops

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Desktops

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Desktops.

Fairly reliable, I can service them myself and know my way around inside, I'll take a good CRT monitor over flatscreen for photo editing, and there's no way someone's going to walk out of my apartment with my desktop during a party.

laptop. because they are portable, make less noise and use less power.

I prefer my desktop most of the time but I do like the convenience of my laptop for work.

Laptop. Well, maybe not so much anymore, but it was wonderful as a student. For my marketing internship I did a lot of web design and made other print media. The company didn't have a computer I thought was good enough, so I used my own laptop and software programs and just tapped into their network and printing system. At home, I did most of my school work on the floor or on my bed, I hate sitting at my desk for long b/c I have bad posture. It's also nice b/c I can share pics and music with my family by taking the laptop home and connecting it to their network. I like the keyboard on the laptop. I like the LCD screen b/c I have bad eyes and frequent headaches, but you can still connect a larger monitor or CRT to a laptop at any time.

My laptop has given me the most bang for the buck. I bought it for only $200 and have spent just $20 for a wireless card and then $60 earlier this year for a new hard drive (3x bigger). I've had the laptop for years and it was 4 years old when I bought it. It does everything that I need and has performed WELL above my expectations.

Depends on what I'm doing.
Photoshop, video, audio work, etc. : desktop (with 19" screen).
Chilling in front of the TV: laptop

if i had to give one of mine up it would have to be the desktop. I really like the portability. But I hate the shite batteries that come with them and they're unreliable too.

Laptops. It's mainly the portability and size, but I also love the speed of my laptop. It's better for entertainment, imo. Not as if i use it to get work done like i should. :huh:

I love my laptop. It's faster than any of my desktops have been and more portable.

...Plus, I can steal my neighbor's wireless internet :shifty:

How much does a laptop cost on average? I was looking at one for school but they're so expensive. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one?

Bono'sTyee said:
How much does a laptop cost on average? I was looking at one for school but they're so expensive. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one?

You can get ones from CompUSA for $600 or so, decent Toshiba Satellite models. I'm a computer technician, and if I were getting a new one today, that's what I'd get (unless I could afford a Mac). "Average" cost won't mean much; it all depends on what you need the laptop to do. If you just do Internet surfing, schoolwork, and listen to music, no need to spend more than $600.

Bono'sTyee said:

See newegg.com. They have some low cost notebooks - e.g. an Acer with 15.4" screen for a little over $500.

Laptop. Wireless internet is what's trumping the desktop.

Back
Top Bottom