laptop- water spill. help please - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:56 AM
laptop- water spill. help please

i spilled water on my mother's powerbook G4 that she uses for her livelihood. this is a rather dire situation.

i unplugged it, wiped it down immediately, and have left it overnight. it still won't turn on at all. it was making sounds before but now it just does nothing, and it won't turn on.

is it completely shot? if i wait a few days is it still drying out- is there a chance? is it possible i could replace a damaged part or that any of the hard drive can be salvaged/transferred/whatever? should i take it apart? take it to the store?

help me.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Do not turn it on again. Open the screen, and flip it upside down for at least a few days. There's a chance that it could work again. Luckily, you spilled water, so there won't be stickiness in there, but there's definitely still going to be some corrosion inside the computer. You could take it to the Apple Store, but they're going to want to charge you an ungodly amount of money to do anything to it, even if it does have Applecare, since they can tell when water has been spilled. Also, you may want to take out the battery to help it dry out. If you're really up for the job, you could open the computer up and take out the hard drive too.

Here's a topic on a Mac forum about a water spill as well:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...op+water+spill

Good luck

Old 06-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Most, if not all of the liquid spills I've worked on did not affect the hard drive. However, Macs are engineered in such a way that retrieving the hard drive puts us technicians into a psychotic rage, so you'll probably have to have someone at the Apple Store get it out for you. If the comp won't turn back on after air drying for a few days, it's likely the motherboard is shot. Your best bet is attaching the hard drive to another comp (you can buy adapters that let you plug in a laptop hard drive as a USB device), or buying a new comp and installing the old hard drive.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:56 AM
I spilled a bit of water on my Dell laptop

I immediately flipped if over and let it drain and dry for a couple of days.

I also blew some air from the bottom up (with it upside down)
to chase? as much water out of it as possible.

Well, it works fine still, I seem to have escaped any damage.

I know this does not help your situation.

I write this for future incidents.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Good heads up Deep.

VG,
Old 06-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If it's still under warranty, just say it stopped working.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Most, if not all of the liquid spills I've worked on did not affect the hard drive. However, Macs are engineered in such a way that retrieving the hard drive puts us technicians into a psychotic rage, so you'll probably have to have someone at the Apple Store get it out for you. If the comp won't turn back on after air drying for a few days, it's likely the motherboard is shot. Your best bet is attaching the hard drive to another comp (you can buy adapters that let you plug in a laptop hard drive as a USB device), or buying a new comp and installing the old hard drive.
Very true, the older Macs and the Macbook Pro hard drives are not easy to get out.

Here's a video showing how to disassemble the Powerbook to get to the hard drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm

Another suggestion would be to draw a diagram of where screws and everything go as you're taking it apart.

An alternative to the Apple Store technicians would be to take it to an Apple authorized technician. They would also be able to take the Powerbook apart without voiding a warranty or breaking things.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
If it's still under warranty, just say it stopped working.
If the warranty does not cover a water spill, it won't work. It's relatively easy to tell when the damage has happened because of a spill.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thanks so much for your replies. it's still not working but i'm trying to get my mom to be patient...she wants to go out and buy a new computer like tomorrow (i think she wants a new one anyway, i think i've done her a favor). so hopefully a few days of drying will resolve things, i'll probably use those tutorials to try to get the hard drive out. to assuage my guilt. meh

thanks again!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

If the warranty does not cover a water spill, it won't work. It's relatively easy to tell when the damage has happened because of a spill.
It's worth a shot though. Just play dumb and hope they don't do a lot of forensics on it.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

well the fan just turned on by itself and has been running (in the computer). so i'm taking that as a promising sign.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

it's been over a week...i think the thing is just shot.
lies: this is a stupid question i'm sure, but if i got an adapter to plug the hard drive into another computer, that computer would have to be a mac wouldn't it?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

lies: this is a stupid question i'm sure, but if i got an adapter to plug the hard drive into another computer, that computer would have to be a mac wouldn't it?

If you're just needing to get her data off the drive, you could read the drive from a PC with a program like MacDrive. (There's a free trial that's fully functional.)

http://www.mediafour.com/support/trials_updates.asp

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
it's been over a week...i think the thing is just shot.
Nope. Well, I'm not all that familiar with Mac hard drives, but I'm assuming they are either a SATA or 2.5" ATA/IDE like PCs, just formatted differently. The adapter I have has components for either a SATA drive or a 2.5" ATA/IDE drive and then the other end is USB. I've connected PC hard drives to my PC and my Mac, and actually I've had better luck retrieving data simply by connecting it to my Mac, opening the mounted drive, and copying the stuff into a folder. But you can do it on a PC too. Just open My Computer, find the drive, and open it that way (like you would a flash drive). I've never connected a Mac drive to my adapter because....I've never successfully extracted a Mac drive without physically harming myself, lol. Those things are such a pain in the ass that even our Apple Certified Technicians take them to the Apple Store and make those guys do it.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

For $20-25, you can get an external HDD enclosure - just choose the right one (e.g. 2.5" IDE) to USB. After you install it, it becomes a USB mass storage device (and can be read on a PC).