laptop- water spill. help please - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:16 PM
thanks for your suggestions, seriously. i wrote this shit down to talk to the apple "genius" today.

for those of you extremely invested in my fate by this point, it appears the repairs would be 1300+ bucks just for the parts. so it appears that we'll be buying a new macbook because they've got a 13" for like 1099 these days. how cheap. ah.

there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer. i didn't exactly understand some of your posts, but are any of you saying there's something cheap i can buy/download to do that myself and transfer the data from the old hard drive to a new computer? or are we basically going to end up paying that as well? i'm sorry i'm pretty stupid when it comes to this.

thanks so much!
if i stop posting for a long stretch of time, you'll know why
although my brother told me she's secretly overjoyed because she wanted an excuse to buy a new one. :tryingtoeaseguilt:

Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, you can buy an adapter that connects the current hard drive from the damaged computer to the new computer via USB (or maybe firewire). It's like using a flash drive or a card reader.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer.
Crap. When we bought our new iMacs last summer, they transferred the data for free. I hate seeing Mac start on the gouging road.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
thanks for your suggestions, seriously. i wrote this shit down to talk to the apple "genius" today.

for those of you extremely invested in my fate by this point, it appears the repairs would be 1300+ bucks just for the parts. so it appears that we'll be buying a new macbook because they've got a 13" for like 1099 these days. how cheap. ah.

there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer. i didn't exactly understand some of your posts, but are any of you saying there's something cheap i can buy/download to do that myself and transfer the data from the old hard drive to a new computer? or are we basically going to end up paying that as well? i'm sorry i'm pretty stupid when it comes to this.

thanks so much!
if i stop posting for a long stretch of time, you'll know why
although my brother told me she's secretly overjoyed because she wanted an excuse to buy a new one. :tryingtoeaseguilt:
sorry to hear that it's going to cost that much. you probably fried the motherboard or logic board among other things.

you shouldn't have to pay the $125 if you grab one of these: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/MOTGU2OB/
just pop the drive in there, then you'll have to get Macdrive that neutral talked about if you're going to hook it up to a PC, otherwise, just plug the drive into the new Mac and everything will transfer just fine. depending on how much data she had on the drive, it may take a loooong time to transfer.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Here's another enclosure for $15 - you basically just plug your hard drive into it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817347004

Local computer shops also sell devices like these (maybe for a few dollars more), and they support USB 2.0 speed for transfers (480 Mbps), which is pretty fast.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Crap. When we bought our new iMacs last summer, they transferred the data for free. I hate seeing Mac start on the gouging road.

They probably charge b/c the system board is shorted form the spill and the drive has to come out for any sort of transfer. When you buy a new Mac, they can just connect the old one via crossover or FireWire without removing either of the drives. It's still not fair to pay $125 more just for the drive removal....but, on the other hand if you've ever tried to remove those drives, you'd probably charge $125!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
She's the One

Local Time: 11:16 AM
^ That explains a lot. Thanks.