laptop- water spill. help please - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 02:16 PM
thanks for your suggestions, seriously. i wrote this shit down to talk to the apple "genius" today.

for those of you extremely invested in my fate by this point, it appears the repairs would be 1300+ bucks just for the parts. so it appears that we'll be buying a new macbook because they've got a 13" for like 1099 these days. how cheap. ah.

there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer. i didn't exactly understand some of your posts, but are any of you saying there's something cheap i can buy/download to do that myself and transfer the data from the old hard drive to a new computer? or are we basically going to end up paying that as well? i'm sorry i'm pretty stupid when it comes to this.

thanks so much!
if i stop posting for a long stretch of time, you'll know why
although my brother told me she's secretly overjoyed because she wanted an excuse to buy a new one. :tryingtoeaseguilt:
__________________

__________________
VertigoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:16 PM
Yes, you can buy an adapter that connects the current hard drive from the damaged computer to the new computer via USB (or maybe firewire). It's like using a flash drive or a card reader.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #18
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer.
Crap. When we bought our new iMacs last summer, they transferred the data for free. I hate seeing Mac start on the gouging road.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
thanks for your suggestions, seriously. i wrote this shit down to talk to the apple "genius" today.

for those of you extremely invested in my fate by this point, it appears the repairs would be 1300+ bucks just for the parts. so it appears that we'll be buying a new macbook because they've got a 13" for like 1099 these days. how cheap. ah.

there is a $125 fee to have the guys at the apple store transfer the data to the new computer. i didn't exactly understand some of your posts, but are any of you saying there's something cheap i can buy/download to do that myself and transfer the data from the old hard drive to a new computer? or are we basically going to end up paying that as well? i'm sorry i'm pretty stupid when it comes to this.

thanks so much!
if i stop posting for a long stretch of time, you'll know why
although my brother told me she's secretly overjoyed because she wanted an excuse to buy a new one. :tryingtoeaseguilt:
sorry to hear that it's going to cost that much. you probably fried the motherboard or logic board among other things.

you shouldn't have to pay the $125 if you grab one of these: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/MOTGU2OB/
just pop the drive in there, then you'll have to get Macdrive that neutral talked about if you're going to hook it up to a PC, otherwise, just plug the drive into the new Mac and everything will transfer just fine. depending on how much data she had on the drive, it may take a loooong time to transfer.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 02:16 PM
Here's another enclosure for $15 - you basically just plug your hard drive into it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817347004

Local computer shops also sell devices like these (maybe for a few dollars more), and they support USB 2.0 speed for transfers (480 Mbps), which is pretty fast.
__________________
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Crap. When we bought our new iMacs last summer, they transferred the data for free. I hate seeing Mac start on the gouging road.

They probably charge b/c the system board is shorted form the spill and the drive has to come out for any sort of transfer. When you buy a new Mac, they can just connect the old one via crossover or FireWire without removing either of the drives. It's still not fair to pay $125 more just for the drive removal....but, on the other hand if you've ever tried to remove those drives, you'd probably charge $125!
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 11:16 AM
^ That explains a lot. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com