Laptop Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
Laptop Help

Can anybody recommend a good brand of a laptop aside from Dell? I wouldn't use Dell if Bono bought me the company. I went to place an order with them yesterday and it has been nothing but a nightmare so I cancelled. Any suggestions would be great thanks. :D

Last edited:
I've been strictly a PC user for my whole life, but the new Mac laptops look really nice. They're pretty expensive, though.

It's too bad you had a lousy experience with Dell. I have a Dell PC and laptop. Believe me--they're infinitely better than Gateway!

I know Dell is good but the whole situation put a bad taste in my mouth and that was just to purchase! I have never dealt with a more incompetent bunch of "customer service'" people in my life :mad:

and I know the Macs are good but too $$! Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with HP or Sony?

I'm happy with my Acer Travelmate. You can see reviews on places like cnet, pcmag.com, etc.

I have an HP. As a computer technician, I know HPs are never the best, but my parents have always owned HP desktops with no problems. Actually, they've had two HP desktops in the past decade, so the computers have lasted well. My HP laptop is about five years old. I bought it used from a friend for only $200 because it had so many viruses she couldn't use it. I fixed it up easily and it has been serving me well ever since. The only thing broken is it no longer reads DVDs, but I don't have any need for that on a computer.

I always tell people, if all you're doing is internet, music, word processing, and burning CDs, just get a deal from a well known brand. There's no need to go all-out unless you're into video editing or working with lare graphics files. I would recommend spending extra on a good three year warranty, rather than name brand, new, top of the line parts you don't really need.

Macs aside, if someone handed me $500 today, I'd look at Toshiba, Sony, or IBM/Lenovo.

If you can find something with a sweet warranty deal, like a warranty that replaces batteries, I'd do it. My friend got a Toshiba from CompUSA and got a deal on a three year warranty that also gives him a new battery each year. So even if his battery isn't dead, he picks up a new one. Many people don't realize that a battery lasts 102 years and can cost hundreds to replace.

I can recommend acer, too. I own an Aspire laptop myself. Silent, not as ugly as other brands and trouble free.

OK so my battery is plugged in and the little battery light is blinking :huh: What am I doing wrong? and should I always unplug when I'm done for awhile?

I bought a refurbished one and there is no manual :|

just called and they said the manual is online

Last edited:
one4u2 said:
OK so my battery is plugged in and the little battery light is blinking :huh: What am I doing wrong? and should I always unplug when I'm done for awhile?

If it's the orange light, it's charging the battery. Once it's fully charged it should stay green until you unplug it.

You don't have to unplug it while you're using it.

Aaaaaaaand lastly, if you turn it off and leave it plugged in, it will charge and the light will flash orange.

There's nothing wrong with your laptop.

PlaTheGreat said:

If it's the orange light, it's charging the battery. Once it's fully charged it should stay green until you unplug it.

You don't have to unplug it while you're using it.

Aaaaaaaand lastly, if you turn it off and leave it plugged in, it will charge and the light will flash orange.

There's nothing wrong with your laptop.

:happy: :heart:

I buy and recommend a lot of laptops for work, clients, friends, and family....

All are Dell, Toshiba, and Macs.

Personally, I own all Dell computers, servers, and laptops, and they've all been more than perfects.

Back
Top Bottom