Laptop Power Cord Issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I'm running on 30% power now so I need to be quick but my power cord for my laptop died on me this morning. I took it to the store thinking I could get a replacement, but they told me I need to bring the comp in so they can see if it's an issue with the cord or with the computer. The computer is working beautifully, but whatever. I'm just upset that they told me it'd be 5-7 days if they have to send for a new cord, 2 weeks to take a look at the comp itself. :mad:

Why don't they have these things in store? :scratch:

At least I bought the 3 year warranty when I got it four months ago.

The cord can be "dead" (can be many things), there can be physical damage where the cord plugs into the board, or there could be some short. What's annoying is that they didn't just quick let you test it with another cord. Yes, each model has it's own cord (specific amps/volts), but if you can find a pretty similar model of cord it's not going to kill the computer to plug it in for one second, which is all it would take to see if it switches from battery to AC power. If it is a problem with the computer, they probably have to re-solder the connection.

They probably don't keep them in stock b/c they aren't cheap and they are very specific to the model of the computer, not just the brand.

Is this laptop a Toshiba, per chance?

ETA: if it will take a while to order a new one, some stories carry "universal" adapters for a car. I guess it would be kind of a pain, but if one worked with your model, at least you could charge the laptop in the car a few times a day.

It will have a one year warranty through HP. Much faster to deal with them than the store. If you go on HP's site or call them, you can get a technician to file an incident report and they will send you a box. The box comes with pre-paid shipping. You can either drop it off at FedEx or have FedEx come pick it up. It will go to Memphis and the HP technicians will fix it there (they work AT the FedEx warehouse) and send it right back to you. They say up to 2 weeks, but mine was sent off and then waiting for me on my desk at work in less than 48 hrs.

You can send the cord in with the computer. I'm not sure if "cat chewing" voids the warranty or not, but it's worth a try.

Ok, because I am super impatient and stuff :reject: I decided to run up to Best Buy just now. The dude who helped me this time told me there was no need to bring the comp in, but when he went to plug the cord in it shorted out on him :uhoh:. He went in back to find another cord and when that one worked he said I could have it. :love:

Moral of the story? Never let a six pound kitty with sharp teeth near your power cord. :shame: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom