Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny00774 View Post
the stick is 8 I believe.

Sorry - I must have phrased the torrent thing wrong - I meant can people torrent FROM me? you know when you leave it one so that people can torrent and get things from your files...I'm not that concerned about getting anything right now, least of my worries, but I want people to be able to access.

that's awesome VP - thanks for the offer. I'll see if I can afford the external thing this week and if not then maybe I'll send you some stuff or something to convert.

so if I just plug this stick thing in I can start moving files to it - simple as that? it didn't come with anything...least of all a dude describing step by step how not to fuck it up

now the network thing...that would allow me to what exactly?
Usb sticks just use drag and drop. So, what you want to do is to plug it into a usb slot, then see what drive letter is assigned to it (they usually end up being e: or f: or something like that. Then, you need to go into your My Computer, find the place where your music is stored, select the files you want to move, right-click cut, and then paste them into whatever drive your usb has become. It's really easy, providing I've explained it clearly. If I haven't, let me know.

Yes, people should be able to torrent from you. I don't know any way of requesting a torrent from a specific person/computer though. I just go to the torrent sites, and then it seems that I just get it from whatever random people have the file I want. Maybe someone else could say if you can torrent to specific people...?

The network thing would allow both computers to use the same printer, and the computers to share music files and documents between them. So, if you were on your laptop and needed a letter stored on your desktop, you could click to get it up on your laptop.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Usb sticks just use drag and drop. So, what you want to do is to plug it into a usb slot, then see what drive letter is assigned to it (they usually end up being e: or f: or something like that. Then, you need to go into your My Computer, find the place where your music is stored, select the files you want to move, right-click cut, and then paste them into whatever drive your usb has become. It's really easy, providing I've explained it clearly. If I haven't, let me know.

Yes, people should be able to torrent from you. I don't know any way of requesting a torrent from a specific person/computer though. I just go to the torrent sites, and then it seems that I just get it from whatever random people have the file I want. Maybe someone else could say if you can torrent to specific people...?

The network thing would allow both computers to use the same printer, and the computers to share music files and documents between them. So, if you were on your laptop and needed a letter stored on your desktop, you could click to get it up on your laptop.

okay - on the first bit, lovely one, that sounds like childsplay, now provided I can find the fucking thing - I just looked and apparently I moved it to somewhere "safe" I should be able to manage that, if not one of the neighbours kids'll be busy this afternoon.

I'll look at the rest in a minute when I search some more.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

found it and also grabbed a drink - it's shaping up to be one of those days

the middle bit - it's not any specific, just for anyone so I can have good ratios or something. the guy who gave me the invite said he'd be watching so I'm paranoid to the point where I'd like to have shared lots before I take any :lame:

the last bits sounds like utopia. I want. I will see what I have for the router part in a bit - it's upstairs and I'm not allowing myself back up there till I clean the living room.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
found it and also grabbed a drink - it's shaping up to be one of those days

the middle bit - it's not any specific, just for anyone so I can have good ratios or something. the guy who gave me the invite said he'd be watching so I'm paranoid to the point where I'd like to have shared lots before I take any :lame:

the last bits sounds like utopia. I want. I will see what I have for the router part in a bit - it's upstairs and I'm not allowing myself back up there till I clean the living room.
Ah, yeah, that's no problem then, if you leave your torrent program running, people should be able to grab anything from you.

OH....

if you move files, they won't be able to get what's been moved. Is that what you're asking?
Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Ah, yeah, that's no problem then, if you leave your torrent program running, people should be able to grab anything from you.

OH....

if you move files, they won't be able to get what's been moved. Is that what you're asking?

YES!!!! that's what I meant - thank you for finally seeing the jumble that's inside my head...where's pfan - he normally takes what I say and puts it into english quite nicely...although you're quite good at it too!!!

the moving part - that's my fear - if I put them on an external hardrive how will people be able to get them....
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
YES!!!! that's what I meant - thank you for finally seeing the jumble that's inside my head...where's pfan - he normally takes what I say and puts it into english quite nicely...although you're quite good at it too!!!

the moving part - that's my fear - if I put them on an external hardrive how will people be able to get them....
As long as you keep the external plugged into your computer, you should be able to set your torrent program to look there for files to share.

(it's not your fault, I'm dense today eta - just went back and reread the initial post, yes, you did make it quite clear what you wanted to know, it was me - sorry )
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I would just get a good external hard drive and not bother with multiple USB drives and/or CDs. I got a nice Western Digital 500GB drive for $80 a few months ago. Yes, if left plugged in people can torrent from it, it's just another mapped drive letter (you may have to change your torrent client config to point to the other drive). Yes, it is very easy to use. Actually, the same as using a USB drive since they ARE USB drives, just larger (plug it in, it will show up as another drive letter in My Computer, you can save to it or drag-and-drop to it).
Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Also - I have itunes on my desktop, with a lot of music on there too - should I put itunes on my laptop too? Can I share between the two - i.e. access my itunes stuff from either computer?
yes you could do this. i've got all my music files on my desktop and just use my laptop to stream off it. just make sure itunes on your desktop is checked to share music with users on your network, and you can access it. all you have to do is leave itunes open on your desktop, and when you open itunes on your laptop there will be an icon on the left hand side where the playlists are usually displayed showing the library.

as for where to find said option, go to options on the itunes on your desktop. go to the "sharing" link. there will be an option called "share my library on my local network." click it and you're good to go!

i do think the external hard drive option is also another good one, but everyone else has commented so i won't bother.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:21 PM
External HD. Get it at newegg dot com.
Great selection and prices there. Good luck.