Laptop bios issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
First off, I don't know what bios even is or what it does. My computer is telling me that it's out of date or that it's not compatible anymore (or something like that) though. What am I supposed to do to fix it? Is it expensive to take in to fix? :help:

Last edited:
Basic Input/Output System - this is the part of a PC compatible's operating system that is held in ROM, allowing the computer to start up and load the rest of its operating system from disc (cf RISC OS computers where the whole of the operating system, plus a few extra goodies, are held in ROM and are available at switch-on)

You might have to have it replaced. Let's see what others say.

As a ROM program, it does not load from the hard drive, but from a specific chip. You can do an upgrade by "flashing" the bios, or upgrading the ROM.

Go to the manufacturer's web site. Usually there are bios upgrades that can be easily installed.

I just purchased a Toshiba, but noticed that the battery would not charge. After a little searching on line, I found a bios upgrade that corrected the problem.

Don't do anything until you know exactly what you're doing. BIOS is firmware - that means that is a tiny software program that, instead of being located on a disk of any kind, is located on a rom chip. The way that you would update the BIOS software on that rom chip would probably be by flashing it. But you have to be 200% sure you're flashing the right update to the rom chip when you do it because if you flash the wrong update, you're screwed, the computer won't work anymore.

BIOS(Basic Input Output System) basically loads the most basic hardware drivers as soon as you turn your computer on - if it's saying you need to update your bios or that it's not compatible anymore, that would suggest that there's recently been a change in your hardware - have you installed any new hardware devices on your computer recently?

Back
Top Bottom