laptop accessories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl416

Rock n' Roll Doggie
and if you don't know where you're going...any roa
been thinking about getting a laptop bag (the screen is 15.4) and wondering if people had suggestions on brands, good experiences. don't want to spend a ton and don't need anything fancy. also, a wireless mouse--good investment?? I also need a printer but I figure that's not really complicated. anything else people would recommend getting? I haven't owned a laptop in about 9 years!

I have 5 laptop bags (every time I go to a work conference or vendor fair, I win another bag!!!). Three are messenger style bags and two are backpacks made with padded laptop compartments. I prefer the backpacks. I used the one I bought until I won another one that's better and smaller (my new laptop is 14" widescreen, so it's tiny). I walk around a lot and I prefer a backpack b/c it doesn't make one should ache and make me slouch like a messenger bag does. I also prefer the backpack for carry on when flying.

This is the backpack I used before I got my current one. It was like $35 new at CompUSA and that was 3 years ago. I had a 15.4 laptop at the time and it fit perfectly. My new backpack would be too small for a 15.4.
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/images/reviews/1047/20040126_1917591.gif

I used to use a wireless mouse and I ditched it b/c it was a pain in the ass. Maybe they make them better now, but it was too annoying have to always have a receiver sticking out of the laptop, taking up a USB port. Plus, anytime my comp was asleep or the lid was shut, it would take a minute or so for the receiver to kick in before the mouse worked. If I used a regular USB mouse, it works immediately b/c it doesn't need to re-connect itself to a receiver. I liked my mouse and it was really cute, but after the batteries died the third time I stopped using it. I've become so adept with a touchpad, I can do photo edits and manipulation in PS and FireWorks without a mouse.

Other laptop accessories I use.....
* lock
* something to keep it cool. I used to use a USB cooling pad, but again I needed that USB port for other devices so now I simply prop up the laptop in the back with a mousepad I cut into 4 pieces and stacked up. Keeps the air flowing underneath and makes it more comfortable to type.
* I wish I had bought a second power pack b/c I hate having to unplug it constantly going between home and work.
* I use a card reader on a daily basis b/c it's faster than my camera and doesn't waste the camera battery. My laptop has a built-in card reader, but not for CF cards which is what I'm using at the moment.
* I'm going to get one of those skins you put on the back/top of the laptop to keep it from getting scratched. My laptop has a really shiny surface so even the tiniest scratches are noticeable.
* I keep a pack of anti-static LCD cleaning wipes and wipe down the whole laptop once a week. It keeps from getting the nasty wrist marks built up.

thanks a lot Lies, very helpful :yes: I've seen the backpacks and the regular bags but wasn't sure which was better. and what you said about a carryon does make more sense, since I use backpacks anyway. I didn't even think about a non wireless USB mouse, didn't even occur to me. I am getting used to the touchpad but there are days where I miss the scroll wheel on the mouse :drool:

I got a new 13" macbook in June, and the case I got immediatly after is Brenthaven. There are few better laptop case brands than Brenthaven. My bag is a shoulderbag. It is very spacious, and the compartmant for the laptop itself is padded on both sides. I used the bag on my recent five-week trip to Turkey, and it was fantastic...durable, spacious, easy to carry with the shoulder strap. I was able to carry the following in it:

13" Macbook
Macbook adaptor
IPod
IPod adaptor
Wall adaptors for the Turkish power outlets
Cable to connect IPod to Macbook
IPod dock
Macbook remote
Mini-DVI to Video cable for MacBook
A lengthy ethernet cable
A folder full of 60 or so DVDs
Two sizable controllers, along with two sizable usb adaptors(one for each controller), for gaming purposes on the Macbook.

I carried the bag around on planes, through airports, on busses, through bus terminals, and when I was in other peoples' homes(the whole time I was in Turkey...my grandmother's apartment, her summer house, my great-aunt's house), the bag acted as a great storage place for my Macbook and all my tech stuff.

I HIGHLY recommend it. Here's a link:

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-prolite-i-mac.html

That's a nice looking bag. I actually prefer the look of shoulder bags, but after a pinched nerve in my lower back, I can't carry my computer, my books, and my other stuff on one shoulder for more than a few minutes at a time. :(

Oh, another accessory I got and love is a car charger for my battery. I like to go on loooooong road trips with family and friends. We basically use my laptop for entertainment. Last trip I went on, me, my sister, and her friends all sat in the back and played movies on it nonstop. The car charger was FAR cheaper than extra 12 cell batteries. I also use one of those tape deck adapters to play the movie audio or music through the car stereo. I prefer the tape adapters over wireless ones that use radio channels.

This is the car charger I got, but it depends on your computer's model (or power input/output). I got this one b/c you can still put another charger into it (like for your cell or iPod):
f628bc0b-aafb-11d7-a10d-00805fbbb715.gif

I think that was about $50. I'm sure you can find a cheaper one. It was a spur of the moment purchase right before an 18 hour drive, so I bought the only option at the local store. I like that it has a grounded outlet, so you can plug in anything. Some car chargers are only for notebooks and just have the end that fits directly into your notebook.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom