Kindle vs Nook, Etc. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Kindle vs Nook, Etc.

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader if the price comes down before Christmas (that's a rumor)-or asking for one as a gift. I have a friend who recently got a Nook, I have used it a bit and I like it, but the battery life does seem pretty low. Is the Kindle that much better for battery life and other features? The 3G is convenient but it does seem pretty spotty.

I've seen the Sony reader with the touchscreen and that is pretty cool but I don't know about the Sony book access. It is a bit tricky at first to get used to the way you have to navigate the screen with the menu on the Nook but it's also quite intuitive once you get the hang of it.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:56 PM
The main thing is, as with any digital download service, is that you want to choose the device locked into whatever store you would use more frequently.

It's really hard to argue for Barnes & Noble compared to Amazon's selection, to be honest.

Unfortunately, Amazon uses digital right management, meaning that they still have control over every book you buy from them and download to your device, which goes beyond the Orwellian iTunes DRM, even. Amazon has actually deleted a book off of peoples' Kindles before (albeit while issuing a refund), which is pretty worrying.

The Kindle also does not currently support the EPUB format of eBooks, which will have a good shot to become the international standard in a couple of years.

My advice would be if you don't mind being locked into buying stuff exclusively from Amazon, and of course being able to upload your own TXT files and PDFs, then by all means go with the Kindle.

eReaders will really hit their stride in a year or two, though, and you might be better off holding out. I am in this position and frankly books have been working fine for a while now, and I use the Stanza app for iPhone/iPad for my digital reading needs.

I'll pick up an eReader eventually but not this holiday season.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 AM
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both are good devices and, at this point, almost identical.

I bought my Nook back in July. I chose the Nook over the Kindle because it was cheaper and was the only one that offered web browsing. Since the new Kindle came out, those two things are no longer true.

I've enjoyed my Nook. It does get a little buggy at times, but it's nothing that a reboot won't fix. The battery life is annoyingly short. It's advertised as lasting for 10 days, but it seems to be closer to five or six.

I also liked the Nook's touchscreen format more than the Kindle's buttons. It just seemed more intuitive to me and made web browsing simpler. But what I really love is the open format. I've been able to get books from a variety of different sources and haven't had ANY problems using them on the Nook. To me that's the biggest issue of all. Battery life, weight, features, etc. don't make a difference if you can't get the books you want to work on the device.

But again, I don't think there's a wrong decision here. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 PM
How about just buying, you know, a book.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
You're so quaint.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I have given away stacks of books the last two years and I still have too many. I don't have enough space. I can carry an e-reader in my purse and not have to worry about paperbacks-some paperbacks are too big for smaller purses and I don't want to carry around a feedbag

I'm against the death of books as much as anyone, if that will ever happen. But I do think I'd read more with an e-reader so if that would be the case I need one.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
New Yorker

IF you happen to also be thinking to get a netbook or tablet or anything like that, I would recommend getting an iPad instead of these stand-alone e-readers.

I was also in the same boat as you a month ago, and I looked at all the options, and I thought with an iPad I can also do my emails, browse the web, listen to music, and do a whole of other things with the apps. Yes, unfortunately it costs about 3x more, BUT with an iPad, you can download all the e-reading apps from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and of course Apple's own iBooks. I love having the option to pick and choose who I want to buy my ebooks from. Personally I think even though it's more expensive, it's a better investment in the long run.

Kobo's app is pretty decent too. And all these merchants may be competing right now to give you discounts/promotions on ebooks. Each app has its own advantages/disadvantages. iBooks has seamless page turns, Nook and Kobo has the night reading feature that I love to use. They basically switched the background from white to black, and vice versa for the text, so you can read in the dark with very little glare from the screen. With kindle or nook, you can't read in the dark at all... From all the iPad e-reader apps I've downloaded, I'm most disappointed with Amazon's. I think they deliberately spend less time updating their iPad app so that people will buy the kindle hardware instead.

The graphics are also more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes on iPad (if you care about that at all). And if you have ebooks in EPUB format, you can basically read them from iBooks (by adding the books to your iTunes library). I still don't know how to add these epub books to the B&N e-reader app or kobo yet. They (and the Amazon app) basically connect to your store's account and access the books that you have bought from their stores online. So you can't read anything that you've bought (or obtained) from other stores.

I'm also a bit of a reluctant convert from regular books to ebooks. I still purchase regular books, but I can't deny that the ebooks give me joy because I can highlight certain things, make notations and bookmarks and can easily refer to them later on. Or I can search the entire book for a phrase with just a click of a button. Right now I'm just worried about how to back them up to make sure I don't lose them... I think it's easier to lose a digital file than a physical book...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I recommend Stanza for your non-DRM eBook reading. Best, most customizable eBook app out there, and I've tried em all.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
New Yorker

^hm, i may try that. how do you get the ebooks loaded so you can read it from the app?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacqb View Post
^hm, i may try that. how do you get the ebooks loaded so you can read it from the app?
You either download one of the thousands of free, public-domain eBooks available from inside Stanza (it has catalogues from the major public domain book sites like Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader), or in iTunes in your iPod Touch / iPhone's applications tab you can drag and drop eBooks into the application from your PC or Mac's desktop.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:56 AM
One day I'll break down and get one, but I'm not quite there yet. I just can't imagine not actually holding the book, but maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised, I don't know. I think what would make me give in would be taking another really long vacation.....just like the iPod kept me from having to schlep 50 CDs with me wherever I traveled, maybe this would keep me from dragging a bunch of books around.

I'm quaint, too, like GAF, I fucking love my books.

Aieeeeeeee.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
New Yorker

I went to my Barnes & Noble last night after oh about a month of not setting foot in it (I do my book shopping online now) and they had redecorated and now almost half of the space in the front of the store is now dedicated to nook and its accessories. They set up tables with sample nooks that you can play around with just like at the apple store. And there are two employees walking around in awe you have any questions about nook. The shift to ebooks is now apparent too at the brick and mortars...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
I recommend Stanza for your non-DRM eBook reading. Best, most customizable eBook app out there, and I've tried em all.

Stanza is great! I use that along with the Kindle app for iPhone and haven't needed to buy a separate reader yet. (Yes, I really read on phone, all the time. Works for me.)

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

An iPad would be nice if I hit the lottery, but that's way out of my budget. I'd rather get use that towards a laptop when and if my home dinosaur Dell desktop dies. Steve Jobs doesn't need my money (debt) anyway.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
New Yorker

Well, Nook color just came out.
It uses LCD instead of e-ink, which means you can still read in the dark. And it costs $249.