Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Cool

Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Ugh, that Nook LCD is pretty frumpy-looking, at least from an industrial design pespective. Amazon is by no means amazing at product design but the Kindle has steadily improved into something pretty damn sexy with the latest black hardware.

And really, what's the appeal of a 7-inch LCD tablet that's squished between a lightweight reading-only device (Kindle) and an App Store ready iPad?

I think the appeal of the Kindle and original Nook is really the e-ink screen and in turn the amazing battery life. It does one thing and it does it really, really well.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe the price difference is the only appeal? If you can still do enough net stuff on it for your own needs and you don't have to shell out at least 250 more for an iPad. I can't see the iPad price coming down any time soon, unless competition dictates. I think they have a big enough market share that they don't have to worry about that. Even in the midst of the worst recession people were in huge lines for the iPad when it came out.

I was on the Borders site a few days ago and they have one that's 299, I didn't look at it long enough to see all the features. I didn't even know they had readers.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:13 PM
I think B&N is moving in the right direction that they're trying to differentiate Nook from Kindle. The new Kindle is definitely dominating the market compared to the Nook, and there have been criticisms that Nook is not as robust or light or sleek as the Kindle.

Different people are looking for different things on their e-readers. Although I was impressed with the e-ink technology and the long battery life on these devices, my reading habit benefits more from an LCD screen. I do a lot of my reading in bed, at night. So the ipad has really been beneficial for me. I can hook it up to charge it for the night and still read from it. If I fall asleep reading on it, I don't have to worry about turning off the lights, the ipad will just turn off by itself. And now the Nook color is a cheaper option for some people with the same reading habit.

B&N also said with Nook color they hope to make illustrated books available as e-books and so kids can learn to read on the Nook as well. Personally if I had kids, I would stick with books for them. It's something they can bring everywhere without having to fear that they would break it or lose it or drop in the toilet, etc.

Oh, and I didn't know Borders had their own e-reader device? Unlike Amazon and B&N, I thought they didn't manufacture their own e-reader, but they partnered with someone else, like Sony and Kobo, to market sony & Kobo e-reading devices. They're way behind the game compared to Amazon and B&N in e-reader/e-books market though... Wall Street Journal reports that B&N only has 5% of the e-book market (Amazon has 50% and Apple has 10%) which is really surprising. B&N contends that they have 30% of the market.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Yes-it's Kobo (never heard of that) and some other one called Velocity and they also sell the Sony readers.

I can't imagine that Amazon won't be coming out with a new Kindle to compete with the new Nook.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Nook--Uuuggh!

My brother and sister-in-law bought my technologically inept mother a Nook for Christmas. Because they are short sighted and somewhat selfish they did not care to see if Mom could figure out how to work the damn thing. Turns out, she couldn't. I was drafted Christmas day to set it up for her.

Waaaaay too much trouble if you ask me.

1. You need a wireless connection to do just about anything on it. I thought that like an ipod, you would be able to plug the Nook into a computer to download books. Nope. If there is a way, I haven't been able to figure it out. My parents don't have a wireless signal; they haven't needed one. Until now.

2. Although the ebooks seems to be cheaper than the Kindle's, the added hassle of setting a a wifi connection is a pain. Also, my mother was wary about providing her credit card number to download a "free" ebook.

I told her to return it and buy a bunch of books with the store credit.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post
1. You need a wireless connection to do just about anything on it. I thought that like an ipod, you would be able to plug the Nook into a computer to download books. Nope. If there is a way, I haven't been able to figure it out. My parents don't have a wireless signal; they haven't needed one. Until now.
I don't get it. Are you saying you can't transfer books from the computer to the nook ?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:13 PM
^ yeah, i'm pretty sure with the wi-fi only version, you have to be connected to wi-fi to access anything.

if she wants to keep it i'd suggest she upgrade to the 3g/wi-fi one so she wouldn't have to rely on wi-fi. but in her position it's probably best to return it, like you suggested to her.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

My mother got the WiFi version and she returned it for the WiFi/3G (she doesn't have WiFi either). I think she did download some books onto her computer but I'm not sure-she had it back and forth to B&N so many times and they did some of it for her. I think you can do it via the USB cable and I assumed it worked in a similar way to the iPod.

Barnes and Noble has Nook classes- I went to one with my mother and it was kind of amusing, it was all older ladies who didn't know much about the whole thing and they thought I knew so much. But the learning curve seems pretty easy. Of course my mother wanted one so badly but she hardly ever uses it
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 11:13 AM
You can add books via the USB. I do it on mine all the time.

When you connect the Nook, it will appear as a drive on the computer (like an external HD). Then you just drop and drag the book that you downloaded into the "my documents" folder. Eject it, then open the "my library" option on the Nook and it will be located in the "my documents" folder.

I'm not a Nook apologist by any means. There are things I would change about it. But I wouldn't call it complex or confusing by any means. It's on par with an Ipod or any similar technology in that regard.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #26
The Fly

So with or without WIFi/3G, the nook can act as a USB device ?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
Refugee

It loads as an external HD just like anything else. That's how you can customize it to make your own wallpapers and screensavers, add music, etc.

As far as using it for storage, the internal memory is pretty small, so I don't see where that would be an asset. You can use a mini-SD card for extended storage, but I don't remember off the top of my head how big you can make it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
The Fly

I believe it runs on a android version. And if the android is running on the same memory, then it's advisable to keep 1 or 2 GB free. Otherwise there are chances of a memory corruption.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #29
Refugee

Are you talking about the nook software or hardware?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #30
The Fly

The software. I read somewhere that it's internal memory is 2GB. But actually only about 1.2 or 1.3 is available for storage. So I think the OS runs from the internal memory itself. And because it has a MP3 player and a few more features, that much memory is not sufficient.

It's too easy to fill it up to the brim, which would lead to major memory corruption issues later on (if the OS uses the same memory)