Keyboard problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I spilt water on my laptop keyboard last night and now some of the keys won't work. i'm typing this via Window's on screen keypad. Any chance the keys will work again or is my best bet just plugging in a regulard keyboard?

^ awwww i'm so sorry to hear that.
my friend once spilled coke on her laptop, and she had to get a new one =(
how much did you spill?

i found this on ehow.com don't know if it's too late or not but it sounds like if it completely dries you might be alright.

Spilling coffee on your laptop will not only ruin your morning, it can ruin your computer. Act quickly if this happens, because it only takes seconds for liquids to destroy the hard drive of a laptop computer.

Steps:
1. Shut down the computer immediately.

2. Wipe up any liquid. Tilt the computer to the side to drain any liquids.

3. Remove any removable parts from the laptop, including the power cord, printer and mouse cables, the floppy drive, CD drive, modem cards and battery. Do not disassemble the laptop body to remove internal parts.

4. Once the parts are removed, gently lift the computer and turn it to the side and upside down to drain any liquid. Tilt the computer in a variety of directions to verify that there are no pools of liquid lurking, but be careful not to shake it or handle it roughly.

5. Repeat with the floppy drive and other removable parts.

6. Use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry the laptop and its parts if you can.

7. Allow the computer and its removable parts to dry for 24 hours before you reassemble it and turn it back on. (If you are under a tight deadline, let the laptop dry for at least an hour before you reassemble it.)

8. If the computer does not work properly or does not turn on, bring it to a computer repair professional, although the damage might be irreparable. Spills are one of the leading causes of laptop deaths.

Overall Tips:
Back up any files you have on a laptop as a precaution. Accidents do happen.

For spills on PCs, see How to Clean Up Keyboard Spills.

Overall Warnings:
Do not attempt to remove key caps from a laptop unless the owner's manual provides instructions on how to do so.

Tips from eHow Users:
Be careful by YALIN
I work with multiple laptops. Keep drinks below laptop level at all times. Try not to place drinks on the same table as a laptop. Keep laptop elevated if you have to use laptop tilters or laptop fans. You really don't want to spill on your laptop. I always find myself moving my friends drinks away from my laptop when we work together. It's your money, protect it.

tuwie said:
^ awwww i'm so sorry to hear that.
my friend once spilled coke on her laptop, and she had to get a new one =(
how much did you spill?

An entire bottle lol. Luckily, most of it landed on the desk itself though.

Originally posted by redkat
i found this on ehow.com don't know if it's too late or not but it sounds like if it completely dries you might be alright[

Thanks redkat that's really helpful. I think for the most part it dried, but I still ended up having to plug in a pc keyboard. Hopefully, the water won't affect the hard drive or internal parts of the computer though. For awhile, the keys went crazy and would randomly type letters over and over again, like this fffffffffffff, :yikes:

Thanks again for all the info:wave: Maybe the keypad will eventually come back to life.

Just a note for future spills: let the computer dry for a few days or week before turning it on. A lot of spill problems aren't really caused by the spill itself, but by parts shorting out because they are wet when the power is turned on. It's tempting to turn it on right away to see if it works, but sometimes this is what damages the computer.

In addition to what other's have said... it's true with MOST electronics that, especially low power devices or accessories, that if you turn them off immediately, or they were already off, when water hit them (or submerged) that if you let them dry out for 2-4 days, sometimes more, they'll end up being totally fine. I once spilled a full glass of iced tea on a friends brand new keyboard... i flipped it over immediately, unplugged it, let it dry for a day... and it was fine. For laptops though, spilling on the keyboard isnt as simple... or full proof.

Back
Top Bottom