iTunes Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkat

Blue Crack Addict
I know people out there have found better ways to do things with itunes than I have. If you have tips or tricks what are they? All advice welcome!

periodically I lose a bunch of music. I think somehow the file path gets changed. (?) "location not available" is the error on my computer. Is there a way to really prevent that from happening? or does it not happen to smrt people.

Also I currently am showing 2260 duplicate songs. After spending about 20 minutes deleting one by one I gave up, please tell me there is a better way :crack:

yes there HAS to be a more efficient way of deleting the duplicates :)

and
Do your music files go missing like that? I don't understand how that happens. I'm missing 100's of songs right now.

yes there HAS to be a more efficient way of deleting the duplicates :)

and
Do your music files go missing like that? I don't understand how that happens. I'm missing 100's of songs right now.

somehow i completely lost my complete u2 off my video ipod. but luckily i have it backed up on my external drive so i just had to copy the songs to my library again and i was back in business. of course i have it on my u2 ipod too. i think it happened cuz i had "automatically update" checked. so it overwrote everything that wasn't in the folder if that makes sense. i'm not that 'smart' either when it comes to itunes. i don't use it that often and i have to relearn it every time.

also one time i had a problem with missing files because that particular computer wasn't "authorized" to play the songs i hadn't played on it yet on ituens which i think is a dumb feature of itunes. if it's "free" to use why are we only allowed 5 "authorized" computers? or maybe i'm not understanding something.

also i think i had a problem with so called 'missing files' that weren't really missing. only that there was a duplicate, if i remember correctly.

also next time i update my ipod i'm going to organize everything in folders and save it on my external so i don't have to worry about 'losing' anything again. luckily i've only added things from cd's anyway so i never really lose anything, it's just a pain and time consuming.

Thank you, I'm going to sit on that forum for a bit.

It's not authorizing the files on my back up cd either. I have to get my cd's out and re rip the songs leading to more duplicates :mad:

FYI the new nano sucks

I thought this problem was just me. I got a 4gen nano last week and "charging is not supported" It only charges plugged into my computer and the battery life is roughly 5 hours.

Warning: New iPod nano will not charge with older docks and stereos
Here's a heads up for anyone thinking of buying the new iPod nano. Gizmodo has confirmed that Apple has dropped the firewire charging pin from the device.

They already did this to iPhone when they released the 3G version, meaning that when you connect it to a device like a speaker dock or a car stereo you won't be able to charge it. I've had this problem with my iPhone 3G and my car stereo and it is infuriating because I can't see any reason for them to remove the functionality other than to drive the manufacturing costs down by a few pennies.

I let let itunes take over the mp3s on my computer once and vowed never to do it again..

I organise my mp3s manually into folders and sub folders using windows explorer, Then if I want to export them into itunes, I add them a folder at a time and edit the properties (title,album,genre), It takes a bit of time to get it organised but Its a lot less fuss then letting itunes organise it, now don't have any problems, The only problem I have is when I move a file on my PC and itunes cant find it, Then I just tell it were it is.

I just make sure that the following are NOT ticked

keep itunes music folder organised
Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library.

This means the files and folders on my computer will remain untouched in the folder I placed them in, and itunes will leave them alone

Letting itunes or windows media player organise your mp3s is like letting a 5 year old organise your CD Collection, It would be good if all MP3s had the correct data, but they dont so you end up with mp3s all over the place.

Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library.

This means the files and folders on my computer will remain untouched in the folder I placed them in, and itunes will leave them alone

Letting itunes or windows media player organise your mp3s is like letting a 5 year old organise your CD Collection, It would be good if all MP3s had the correct data, but they dont so you end up with mp3s all over the place.
Exactly. this is what I do as well.

I keep everything organized by iTunes and have never had a problem with it. Sounds like user error to me. :wink:

For windows users, I love controlling iTunes from my taskbar. You right click the taskbar and in the same section where you select "Quicklaunch" and all that other stuff, you can select iTunes and it'll appear on your taskbar and give you pause, previous, next and volume controls. I'm sure most of you might already know about this but when it was revealed to me I found it to be very helpful.

Another obscure question: is there any way to hide the damnable music store links (i.e., the small arrows next to the song currently selected) in the 8.0 and later versions? The option from earlier versions seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone know how to transfer a song from your itunes, onto your computer, like as an mp3 file?

Is that what I have to do?

Or do you mean a song you purchased in the library? If that's the case, find out where it's saved (Ususally my documents\itunes somewhere) and copypaste it.
That works with all songs btw. Just find the location, should be in the properties menu.

Yeah but it makes it a MPEG 4 file. Can you burn that type of file to cd?

I think itunes will convert those to a CD format.

(isnt mpeg 4 video though?)

I have an iPod question. (didnt want to start a thread) My ipod is formatted to windows, but I have a mac now, so, although it works fine for now, should I, or will I need to reformat it to mac at any point? Is there an advantage to doing it now?

Back
Top Bottom