itunes help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
I recently had to wipe my laptop and reload a bunch of stuff on it. I downloaded the itunes install thingie (yes, that is a technical word..hehe) and after it got all through installing it, when I opened it it said it couldn't open because it was missing files.

What do I do to fix this?

If you could put it in words that Bono a technically challenged person would understand I'd really appreciate it..hehe.

I'd uninstall iTunes one more time and reinstall. Your download could've gotten interrupted and so it missed a few bits of information.

Are you actually installing from Apple? If so, what is the exact message? It could be that your computer is telling you that you need to download other updates or assets to support the most recent version of iTunes.

The first time I downloaded the installer from the Apple website then I did it through the Apple software update and I get this:

Itunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall itunes.

I've done it twice now and I keep getting that.

I do believe iTunes requires Quicktime. Make sure you've got Quicktime, and make sure your computer isn't stopping iTunes from installing it or something.

What OS are you running? That would help a bit.

IF you have "Vista" or "7" be sure to run the install "as administrator". XP doesn't normally require it...unless you setup your user ID as "limited".

You can download software called "CCleaner" (google it) and clean the registry (among other things). If you clean the registry be sure to let it "backup" before "cleaning" (it will prompt you...just pick the default location for the backup file).

Generally speaking I've seen very few botched itunes installations. What I see most is people who don't pay attention to the "authorization" process when moving their account to a new computer.

So:

1. Uninstall itunes and quicktime (if its there). Also look for "bonjour" and the "apple updater". Get rid of all of them.
2. Run the "ccleaner" program and clean the registry (run the process until there are no errors - usually 3 times). Be sure to allow the backup.
3. Make sure you use a copy of itunes directly from the Apple website.
4. Install as administrator - use the full or "typical" install.

If you still have issues it could be an underlying issue with some other program or perhaps a botched OS installation.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Long story short...the person who "fixed" my computer the first time put in a non-genuine copy of Windows XP professional...where I had Home before. I couldn't play movies, even on WMP, and itunes wouldn't load. He's got it now and is putting in Windows XP Home and hopefully it will work.

Thank you for all the suggestions! It's nice to know there's a place I can ask stupid questions and not get hassled for it.

I also need iTunes help, though it's not the same issue as Diane's. On occasion, my computer won't recognize my iPod and therefore iTunes won't. Nothing's wrong with my iPod, and my computer seems to be fine since i updated iTunes. Reckon it's the iPod USB cord? I've had it FOREVER and it's twisted and crinkled.

That does sound like the chord Jess.

Oh, I got my computer back.....and it runs XP like it's a genuine copy..which is isn't, but I won't tell if you don't...but I still get the message that it can't run itunes because there are files missing. Any suggestions?

And I bet it doesn't do the intelligent thing and tell you which files are missing, does it? I had the same problem on my computer with iTunes 9. I eventually uninstalled everything Apple on my computer and then re-downloaded iTunes after it was updated. Have you tried support.apple.com? their knowledge base has good solutions for certain problems.

:bump: :D

I am getting that same iTunes error as dianne . . . and it was working beautifully yesterday . . . and I'm a little concerned that uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes as suggested means I'll lose all my music . . . I'm assuming backing up the iTunes folder that holds all the music, prior to uninstall, will fix this?
:help: cheers x pr

:bump: :D

I am getting that same iTunes error as dianne . . . and it was working beautifully yesterday . . . and I'm a little concerned that uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes as suggested means I'll lose all my music . . . I'm assuming backing up the iTunes folder that holds all the music, prior to uninstall, will fix this?
:help: cheers x pr

No, you won't lose all your music, all it will remove is the iTunes software. Your music files are safe.

Is anyone interested in the iTunes iCloud stuff?

It seems like a lot of bother between iTunes purchased stuff and self-loaded music. I guess I just don't see the purpose. :shrug:

^ & ^^

isn't it really just a re-branded MobileMe except it is free? Haven't investigated too thoroughly to be honest, although I like the idea of iTunes being syncable from anywhere (but if it is true that you can only store items that have been downloaded from iTunes in the cloud then meh :| ) . . . perhaps, as more people take it up more features will be added? :shrug:

EDIT - thanks Reggo :) . . . it worked a treat, although I will confess to backing up my library onto an external hard drive just in case, as well as the odd spot of pacing . . . I love technology but don't always trust it :reject:

Back
Top Bottom