It's All Over Now, Baby Blu:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simply put, Blu-ray is HD while DVD is not.

Any Blu-ray disc needs to be played in a Blu-ray player. However, your existing DVDs will also play in a Blu-ray player, so you wouldn't have to rush out and replace all your old DVDs at once, although they won't be in HD.

martha said:
Perry Mason doesn't come in HD anyway. But eventually I may have to go get a Blu-Ray player, huh?

Thanks dear.

It'll be quite awhile yet. Blu-Ray players are super expensive, much like DVD players were when they first came out. Unless you have an HD television, I wouldn't worry about it.

"The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue-violet laser used to read and write this type of disc. Because of its shorter wavelength, substantially more data can be stored on a Blu-ray Disc than on the DVD format, which uses a red laser. A Blu-ray Disc can store 50 GB, almost six times the capacity of a DVD."

"The Blu-ray name is a combination of "blue," for the color of the laser that is used, and "ray," for optical ray. The "e" in "blue" was purposefully left off, according to the manufacturers, because an everyday word cannot be trademarked."

I would wait to buy a player with this format though, but if you want to get into the action, my suggestion would be to get a Playstation 3 since it would incorporate both gaming, and the Blu-ray technolgy.

The picture quality is superb.

I am waiting.

I've said it since day one...

Blu Ray would win this war...

especially, since it's easier to say than HD DVD (you may see that as some joke, but it's important, really)

onebloodonelife said:
Unless you have an HD television, I wouldn't worry about it.

Are there any stats on HD TVs? I honestly don't know many people who don't have one at this point. And most people I know are poor students.

Today, there are more people who own a digital television vs. people who don't, and most of those have HD capabilities.

More than 50 percent of U.S. households now own a digital television (DTV), according to new research released today by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®. As the nation transitions to digital television, consumers are adding DTV to their homes at a record pace.

“I am proud to announce our nation has hit this digital milestone. With 50 percent of U.S. homes able to experience the reality of digital television, we have crossed a critical threshold,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of CEA. “2008 will continue to demonstrate the growth and success of DTV, with nearly 32 million units forecasted to ship. Consumers are particularly keen to add HDTV to their homes, with high definition expected to account for 79 percent of total DTV shipments in the U.S in 2008.”

http://www.ce.org/Press/CurrentNews/press_release_detail.asp?id=11425

onebloodonelife said:

It'll be quite awhile yet. Blu-Ray players are super expensive, much like DVD players were when they first came out. Unless you have an HD television, I wouldn't worry about it.

Now that Blu-ray has won, you'll see a slew of new players coming out over the next few months, and by the end of the year the prices will be dropping big time for the holiday season.

RIP HD-DVD. Yes I am probably the only person here who has an HD-DVD player and both formats delivered superb picture quality. I will keep my hd player, as DVD will continue it's long run and the quality can be upconverted.

Wow, I'm so far behind. Last week I taped the Westminster Kennel Club show on three VHS tapes. Our main TV is smaller than Phil's computer screen. I do use Comcast On Demand to buy movies though! :D

phanan said:
If you have Comcast, you should get their DVR box. It's definitely worth it.

And you won't need three VHS tapes for one dog show anymore, either. :wink:

I have it, it just doesn't work b/c I don't pay for that. My remote and my box has DVR controls, but it won't actually record for me. Dog shows are the only thing I record (for future reference, not just to see what I missed). All my other shows are on On Demand for free.

phanan said:

Now that Blu-ray has won, you'll see a slew of new players coming out over the next few months, and by the end of the year the prices will be dropping big time for the holiday season.

I hope so, though, for me, it makes no difference because I have a measly 19" CRT television. (Poor college student here)

I don't plan on using BluRay for much besides as a more spacious format for data backups from my PC.

What we need is some news on when there will be any U2 Blu-Ray releases.

Rattle and Hum was released, but then Paramount switched aliegance to HD-DVD (just before I got a Blu-Ray player in December). Hopefully they will switch back very soon.

Unfortunately I don't think there are many U2 concerts that have been captured on a HD source format. Whereas a lot of band have captured early conerts on film (even it's only 16mm), U2 to have got almost everything down on SD video.

The Vertigo concerts must have been filmed in HD, doubt Elevation was, though checking th closing credits of Slane Castle and the concert was at least partially shot on 16mm and 35mm film.

UABRS, Popmart, ZooTV were all definitely just shot on SD video. :(

Back
Top Bottom