Is there any headphones brand better than Sennheiser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this thread is making me seriously consider getting good headphones!
hmmm... do I need food for the rest of the month?

Sorry for the double post (can't edit the previous message anymore), but I have one question for the experts: does the sound quality decrease for a wireless headphone?

Generally, yes. With current technology you're not going to get real hi-fi sound out of wireless headphones, but you can get decent sound. The point of wireless headphones is more convenience over sound quality, anyway. You could just buy a headphone extension cord - I think RadioShack sells 15' extensions for $10 or so.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Will order a wired headphone today!

I got the 201s on Friday, and :drool: So much better than the headphones I was using before. They don't have much bass, but I just put the bass booster equalizer on in iTunes, and it sounds great. They're really light and comfy; I can wear them for hours and don't even notice they're on. The cord is really long, so I have most of it tied up since I don't need the 10' that it has. And, they do cancel out a fair amount of noise. I can hear some of the music that my sister is playing, but she also has it at full volume, and it's just some notes, I can't hear it word for word.

Definitely a good purchase for $20 :up:

Thanks for the review. I will probably order those or the 205s. Did you find a cheap site?

Also, do you know if they "leak" any noise? I like to listen loud so my mom is always complaining b/c it interferes with the music they are playing in the car.

I got them from Amazon, brand new in the box for $20 including shipping. The seller was alectrics, and they have more up for sale now.

They do leak a little, but I'm listening to them on my laptop and only have to have the volume at about half to be a good volume, and I usually listen very loud as well. And, the leaking is when I have it turned up almost completely and the headphones were about a foot and a half away....I'm in the same room as my sister, and she didn't mention being able to hear them, so I think it's pretty minimal.

I am currently using the HD-500's. Amazing headphones that I've had for over 5 years now I think. The black covering stuff on the earmuffs is starting to peel off. It's gross and sticky when it comes off, and I'm really considering getting a nice new pair.

Those HD-595's look simply :drool:. I may need to invest. :hmm:

I just ordered the 205s :hyper: I was going to get the 201s, but I kept reading reviews saying they were not great for laptops and portable devices (the only things I use) because the volume is low, so I went w/ the 205s which said the volume is better and the bass is better.

Wow, they came today. They make my ears itch b/c I'm not used to something so snug, but I'll try to wear them a lot and break them in. They are definitely clearer and have more bass than my crappy ones, and even with no music it muffles outside noise like wearing ear plugs. :up:

I got a new toy for my headphones:

4bg6j40.jpg

33x7804.jpg

I really dig it. The HD-595 sounds soooo much better out of this thing. Plus it acts as a mini heater. :D

$200 shipped. I think I'm going to be selling my other headphone amp (which cost over 2x this one!), cause so far I am quite happy with this one. :up:

In my opinion, the best sounding headphones you can get for listening at home are made by Grado. They have the SR 60 that sells for about $65-70 and the SR 80 that sells for around $95. The sound you get from them is amazing.

The drawbacks to them are they don't cancel out sound to anyone that is in the room with you, but for at use at home when you're alone, these can't really be topped for their price. I use the SR 80s which have a little bit more detail to them, though some say the SR 60s have a little more warmer sound to them.

The cd that I actually used to test them in teh store when I bought my first pair was Achtung Baby, because of all the intricate sounds in the mix on that album. I tried Zoo Station on both of those Grado pairs, as well as other headphones in the store and I was sold on these being the best headphones out there at a reasonable price.

Here's their website for more info: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

I don't think so, the HD-477s that I use off my computer have gotten well over 5 years of use and I have a pair of HD-580s with an 80's Marantz amp for music and movies that sound really great.

Of course I lack the golden ear of a true audiophile but that could be a good thing :wink:

I'm bumping this puppy.

I'm still in love with my Sennheiser HD-555s. :love: I'm thinking of getting a pair for my dad for Christmas, and just wanted to pop in and see if anyone has come up with anything even better in a similar price range.

In my opinion, the best sounding headphones you can get for listening at home are made by Grado. They have the SR 60 that sells for about $65-70 and the SR 80 that sells for around $95. The sound you get from them is amazing.

The drawbacks to them are they don't cancel out sound to anyone that is in the room with you, but for at use at home when you're alone, these can't really be topped for their price. I use the SR 80s which have a little bit more detail to them, though some say the SR 60s have a little more warmer sound to them.

The cd that I actually used to test them in teh store when I bought my first pair was Achtung Baby, because of all the intricate sounds in the mix on that album. I tried Zoo Station on both of those Grado pairs, as well as other headphones in the store and I was sold on these being the best headphones out there at a reasonable price.

Here's their website for more info: Grado Labs, Inc.

YES!

I consider myself a bit of a audiophile perfectionist, and they make what I think are the best sounding headphones I've heard. Even the entry level 60's and 80's are absolutely fantastic. Buy a pair of these and you'll feel like you've been listening to music through a paper cup with a string attached to it your entire life.

I really like the way Grados sound, I just can't stand to wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time. They need to look into ergonomics one of these days.

I've heard previous models were like that. Have you tried any of the models in the last few years? They're supposedly considerably more comfortable. I never tried the "old" style, so I can't compare, but I can wear mind for hours on and not even notice them.

My Audio Technica ATH-M30 s arrived today. Excellent sound quality from them too.

Quick question....is it normal to have to turn the volume way higher up on the amp using headphones than you would usually sit and listen to thro the speakers?

Finally upgraded from the Grado SR60's to the SR325i's. I didn't think I'd be as immediately impresses as I've been. Pretty awesome so far.

I believe the balance on my Grado 325is is off, the left side seems to be producing more volume. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. I've tried flipping it around on both ears to make sure I'm not just more sensitive in one year, and it seems different regardless of the ear I use. Were they cheaper headphones, I wouldn't care, but I think I may have to try to return these to Amazon and have them send me a new pair. Maybe moref break in / burn in time will help, but I'm not super optimistic after about a 24 hrs' worth.

Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic, Shure, AudioTechnica, and Grado seem to be the top tier brand. I have Sennheiser 555s and I'm not a huge fan of them, they don't always keep up with some of the music I listen to. I'd like the 600 or the 650.

Back
Top Bottom