is my laptop frying from within?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
today i noticed a strange little 'indentation' just to the upper left of where the mouspad is.
at first i thought i might have damaged the laptop while traveling to the netherlands.
but i'd just bought a little laptop brush cleaner thingie for the keypad and screen and have been cleaning it most every day.
i've been in the netherlands over a week and if it was damaged in travel i thought i'd have noticed before now.
it also appears to have a more 'melted' look to it, like it got too hot inside.
i'm using the laptop now and everything seems to be working fine.
although i did have trouble connecting to rono's wireless internet earlier but i think the problems were unrelated.
unless it's my wireless card?
the day before yesterday i bought that new european cord for my adapter.
i wasn't sure if that might have brought this on too?
should i use it with the power adapter and my standard us plug instead of just the european cord?
i've got it plugged in now and i'm watching it carefully, as soon as the battery is charged i'm unplugging it so it won't get too hot.
the only other thing is perhaps the A/C adapter itself got too hot and touched the keyboard somehow.
but again i think i'd notice something like that.
i usually just use the laptop downstairs sitting on the sofa or at the dining room table.
i also bought that used battery from ebay a couple weeks ago but haven't noticed any problems with that either.
so i'm really confused by this.

here's a pic of it:

032008008_laptop.jpg

What is the European cord? The only converter/adapter/anything different you should need is a plug on the end so it fits into a European outlet. A different cord/adapter/converter could be the cause since they should be used with their own (even laptops of the same line and brand will have their own output requirements).

the cord we bought is just the thing on the end that plugs into my own AC adapter that came with the laptop.
i don't have the package it came in.

It sounds like overheating - check the fan and make sure it's well ventilated. There was also a massive battery recall a year or two ago due to overheating, causing some laptops to melt.

i checked the acer website for the battery recall back when it was first announced, and i just checked it now. i didn't see any numbers that match my battery. anyway, i've put the original battery back in the laptop instead of using the one i bought on ebay just in case, and i've sent an e-mail to acer tech support. everything seems to be working fine on the laptop so hopefully it's not a big problem but i am keeping an eye on it when i plug it in to recharge it to make sure it doesn't get too hot. the only bad part is my old battery is only good for about 30 minutes or so because it's old.

I had a laptop that overheated - when I used it, it was so hot to the touch that I couldn't even keep my hands on it. Do you hear the fan on?

The only thing is, if your laptop was SO hot that it was literally melting from within, I'm surprised you wouldnt' have other issues with it. I think AMD processors actually shut themselves down in case of fan failure. When my fan died, I had an older Pentium processor that did not shut itself off, and my motherboard was actually fried in the process. The repairs + labour were enough to make me have to buy a new computer alltogether.

yes i hear the fans on, and while it does get a little warm it's never been too hot to touch.
i've been using it ever since i noticed the melted area and everything seems to be working fine.
the only other possibility i can think of is as i was using it here on the sofa, perhaps the AC adapter was too hot and came in contact with the keyboard and caused the melted area.
that's what i'm hoping anyway, cuz that would mean there's actually nothing else wrong with the laptop itself.
the melted area hasn't gotten any worse in the last few days i've been using it.

Back
Top Bottom