Is an iPod Touch really all that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do they really hook up to wi-fi and shit? :drool:

Do I need a third iPod? :huh:

Yes and yes!! :drool::drool:
I think they're good little machines. Don't forget the app store where you can download the free games and stuff.
Plus widescreen movies and TV :hyper:

i've played around with one, i think they're super neat. i personally would never get one though because my regular ipod has more space, and i have one of those phones that does everything but make toast. so i can do everything with these two that an ipod touch does.

however, if you have a more basic phone or something, i'd recommend it. the wifi feature's awesome, provided you're somewhere with wifi obviously. and the apps are neat, there seems to be an app for everything!

Why not just get an iphone, it comes with an ipod.

Then you're tied to AT&T, and might have to pay to get out of your current plan with another provider.

I have an iPod Touch, and it's very cool, but honestly, it hasn't been turned on in about a month because I use my Classic that has 10x more space all the time instead.

If you're going to be better than me about using it, then by all means, go for it! They're awesome little machines that can do a lot. :up:

Then you're tied to AT&T, and might have to pay to get out of your current plan with another provider.
That's the reason: I love Verizon and don't want to hack or leave.

I have an iPod Touch, and it's very cool, but honestly, it hasn't been turned on in about a month because I use my Classic that has 10x more space all the time instead.

:hmm: Space. I love my classic, and it's only half full. :hmm:

Forget the iPod touch - I've had one for a little over a year and they're useless as far as the wi-fi goes. You have to be in a place with free, unsecured wireless internet and MUCH closer than a computer needs to be, and even with all that and a connection that stays active for more than 20 seconds, it's fucking slow. At least a full minute to load a page that's almost all text (ie your average wikipedia page). If you want internet access in a portable unit, upgrade the phone you've got (or bite the bullet and get an iPhone that will give you the same access, but faster, and everywhere). The iPod's wireless card is total garbage. (ETA: For the record, it's not my wireless internet connection that's the problem - my computer retains the signal 100% of the time, and it's always relatively fast. My iPod can't hold a signal here at home, or anywhere else.)

This all goes without mentioning the fact that you get exponentially less space on an iPod touch. Mine was full the day I got it, and it really annoys the shit out of me to have to reorganize my entire music collection every time I want to add a new track. If you insist on getting a new iPod, get another classic, or get a nano. But you said you've already got a classic, so use the money you were going to spend on an iPod touch and get yourself a phone with a touch screen and 3G internet access and you'll instantly have everything the touch has, and probably for a couple hundred dollars less, too.

If I had known then what I know now, I would definitely have asked for an iPod classic last Christmas instead of the touch. Not worth the price, not even close. :down:

Do you want to carry your entire music collection around wih you in your pocket, or do you want a device that carries the albums you currently love and your favourite singles, plus has internet access.

I love my Touch. I no longer carry a laptop around during the day for cafe internet email checks and sending email. The touch controls are brilliant for navagating around and creating new playlists on the go.

I guess I use my Touch, time-wise, for about 50% music, 20% internet/email, and 30% applications and games.

If those ratios and feature sets look right to you, go for it. If they don't, then you don't need yet another iPod.

Forget the iPod touch - I've had one for a little over a year and they're useless as far as the wi-fi goes. You have to be in a place with free, unsecured wireless internet and MUCH closer than a computer needs to be, and even with all that and a connection that stays active for more than 20 seconds, it's fucking slow.

I can't speak to the speed or dropping, but our wi-fi uses 802.1x and requires users to authenticate and it works. We didn't think it would work but someone figured it out and now we pass out flyers to the students with the instructions.

They look way cool, and I've got some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. Do they really hook up to wi-fi and shit? :drool:

Do I need a third iPod? :huh:

It's is an awesome unit.
I just hate the capacity on the current ones.

Nice Emily!:up:...get a good case for it.

Uhm, I have a 30 gig U2 ipod video, and most of the space on it I use for backups, not music. I only have about 1000 songs on it anyway.

:uhoh: 900 or so are most likely U2.

So I'd say, you don't need another ipod if you already have one.

I can't speak to the speed or dropping, but our wi-fi uses 802.1x and requires users to authenticate and it works. We didn't think it would work but someone figured it out and now we pass out flyers to the students with the instructions.

Yep, this is true on our University's network as well. You can use the built-in VPN client to sign in automatically too. :up:

Also, Dave, I haven't had any of the internet connection issues you mentioned (speed and strength) with my 2nd gen iPod Touch :hmm:

My iTouch works fine with the wireless although it is slower than the laptop's wireless, but not so much so that I would avoid using it.

I think it's neat but I don't think I'd get one again mostly because I think it's too big and bulky. I'm going back to the Nanos when this one's useful life comes to an end.

New iPods coming in about 3 months...stay tuned. Possibly iTouch with more GB's

I wonder if the price of the Touch will go down? My music collection outgrew my 5th gen, and I just had to choose between the Touch and Classic. I really wanted the Touch for the technology but I went with the 120gb Classic to accomodate my 33gb of music. The $400 price tag on the Touch helped to persuade me as well.

I have one of the third generation 'fat' iPod Nanos and I have to say I love the thing, still.

When my current Nano that I use for jogging breaks, I am definitely going to forgo the completely unnecessary 4th generation Nano and try to find a refurb or unsold 3rd gen.

I have no problems with the wifi on my itouch. I use it for everything and I love it. I considered the iphone but I have to wait to get out of my verizon plan. It is annoying that the internet only works in a free wifi area, but in my area there are plenty of hot spots.

I was just wondering would it be a good idea for me to get a iPod touch? My friends all have one and I'm the only one without. They are pretty fun to use the applications on. But is it really worth it to get one?

No.

I'm looking to unload mine now, actually since I got an iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom