IPOD with AMFM STEREO ADVICE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
Hi guys,

I'm looking to pick up an IPOD and want to do it as cheap as possible.
I want it also to include and AMFM tuner; is this standard equipment?

This is all new to me as I've never owned one before.

How does the procedure work to acquire songs? Are they included with the unit or do I have to go to a pay site or non paysite to download songs?

Can somebody please explain how the whole procedure works?

Anyway please let me know the chepest way to go.
I would like to carry about 150-250 songs on it.

thanks a million,
dbs

Last edited:
if your looking to carry about 150 - 200 songs, the cheapest ipod nano or even the new ipod shuffle should be good for ya. (i dont know where u live but a 1gb nano (holds around 250 songs) is around £99/€139 new).
personally, i would try and avoid second hand ones due to the battery but thats just me.

to put songs on it, you can rip the songs from cds, put existing mp3s on from your pc or use itunes music store (ipod specific site for paying to download songs)

if what you mean by an am/fm tuner is to listen to the radio through the ipod, this isnt standard but you can buy the accessory from apple i think

good luck with your ipod experience! lol:wave:

craigp said:
if your looking to carry about 150 - 200 songs, the cheapest ipod nano or even the new ipod shuffle should be good for ya. (i dont know where u live but a 1gb nano (holds around 250 songs) is around £99/€139 new).
personally, i would try and avoid second hand ones due to the battery but thats just me.

to put songs on it, you can rip the songs from cds, put existing mp3s on from your pc or use itunes music store (ipod specific site for paying to download songs)

if what you mean by an am/fm tuner is to listen to the radio through the ipod, this isnt standard but you can buy the accessory from apple i think

good luck with your ipod experience! lol:wave:

Craig,

I live in USA.

So how much is £99/€139 in US dollars? How much do you think the AMFM tuner upgrade would run in US dollars?

Thanks very much.

dbs

The new 2gb version (they just bumped all the Nano's up in capacity) runs only $149. That would give you around 300-400 songs depending at the quality you download them at.

Not sure of the AM options for the Nano however. Apple offers a very cool FM only option for the Nano, at $49.99

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/A

You should stick to Apple. I have had others, then moved to Apple and would never switch back. Unless you must have AM, then I would try and find one with AM/FM built in.

Chrisedge,

Thanks for your response.
So I'm looking at 200.00 to get what I need.

Really don't need AM, only wanted FM to access the news on the TV while at the gym. The gym has a preselected FM frequency that the audio from their TVs are hooked up to. So if I need to hear the news while watching it while on the treadmill I can switch over to that.

Now as far as downloading songs legally which is the cheapest/best valued site?

Will I be billed as I use it only; or is there a monthly fee? I'm vauged on this part.

Please advise.

Thanks again Chrisedge and your signature is superb.:up:

dbs

Chrisedge said:
The new 2gb version (they just bumped all the Nano's up in capacity) runs only $149. That would give you around 300-400 songs depending at the quality you download them at.

Not sure of the AM options for the Nano however. Apple offers a very cool FM only option for the Nano, at $49.99

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/A

You should stick to Apple. I have had others, then moved to Apple and would never switch back. Unless you must have AM, then I would try and find one with AM/FM built in.

Diamond I think Chrisedge has got some solid advice here.

I'm prety sure you can find an Am attachment somewhere.

Arun,

Ok I get the first part but I'm still looking for answers on the second part of my question.

What about downloading songs?
If I have space for only so many, do I have to delete one when I find a more preferred song?

Will it cost me a dollar everytime I want a new song from iTunes?

Will somebody please explain where I will get my first couple of hundred songs and what I do to acquire new ones?

Thanks,
dbs

Diamond,
Go with Apple, hands down. I have tried, tested, and sold, several brand names and I completely back iPods.
Yes, it will cost you .99 cents for each song you want, if you buy thru iTunes.
You have cd's already right? Remember that you can load those cd's into the iTunes program that you will have in your computer, then transfer them automatically into your new iPod. If you have frineds that have titles you may want in your computer, it only takes a few minutes to download them (Automatically!).

I personally would recommend buying the 30 Gb, at $249 it is a great deal and you can upload up to 7500 songs (Not just a few hundred), pictures and videos.
Now before you go and say that you really do not care about loading pics and videos....trust me, you will, once you see your family in it.

If there is no more space in your iPod, then you must remove those inside of it. You will not erase them, you will just remove them from your device and not your library.

One more thing, there is free engraving and a 10% discount if you buy online and enter your College/University(You only have to enter the state and name of the college, they do not check it btw).........that's if you are still a student:wink:

Rrocks,

Thank you for your clear and concise explanation.

Yes, I am a student of Life's University:angry:

Eveverything you explained makes sense.

Thx again,

dbs

You can use iTunes to store ALL your songs and there is an option to "only sync checked songs" so the Nano (or video, which I have and LOVE) would only "get" the songs you want. There are many ways to only put certain songs on the iPod, you can have playlists that sync songs, the above mentioned "checked songs" etc...

As far as "where to download songs"...From your friends of course...:)

Well I ended up getting an IPOD shuffle, the least expensive unit, and this seems to work just fine for me afterall.

I understand I can upload songs from my personal CD collection into Itunes, which is great.
Now another question:

1-Do I have to purchase all of my songs from ITunes or can I upload songs that I download from "MP3- Rocket" a service that I just purchased for a year? Will the songs that I download from MP3 Rocket sync with my IPOD Shuffle?

Plese let me know.
Thanks in advance.
:)

dbs

for songs try www.lala.com you would have to download their software which syncs with itunes and the songs will donwload to your Ipod. now if you ever want to transfer songs from your ipod back to your computer try. www.idump.com

Back
Top Bottom