iPod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
So I asked for a new iPod for Christmas, hopefully one of the iPod Touch ones.

My question is for anyone who has one.

Does the screen scratch as easily as it did on previous models (mine was almost unreadable about 8 months after I bought it, before I cracked the screen - now it's basically a 350 dollar iPod shuffle), and is it even possible to buy a case or does that render the touch screen completely useless?

I want one, but I learned from the last time that it's best to have a protector of some kind for it, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it if I have to pull it out of said case every single time I want to change the song.

If that's the case, I'll just ask for something else.

I'm sure they have cases for the Touch model where you wouldn't have to pull it out each time you want to change the song. The case I have for my (now ancient) U2 one had a cut out for the click wheel and even a clear window for the back in case I was ever itching to turn it around to stare at the signatures. :p

Here's one I found - it looks as if you could change without having to take it out (not sure if Macy is included or not :wink: )

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Apple-Touch-Silicone-Model/dp/B000WEJRUS

I just don't understand how the screen could be protected from scratching or breaking (I stepped right on the screen this time when my iPod had somehow managed to find its way under a pile of clothes). That's what I'm worried about.

dave,

here is a protective cover from incase. I highly recommend it. I have had good experiences with their cases. They are more expensive but quality is good so worth it in the long run.

go here: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl56136

this is specifically for the reasons you speak of however, if you leave ur itouch in a clothes pocket or under clothes and then step on it well.. can't help ya son.. ur on ur own.. :wink: Nothing would survive that however, you could incase it in glass and admire it on a shelf or something.............j/k

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I just don't understand how the screen could be protected from scratching or breaking (I stepped right on the screen this time when my iPod had somehow managed to find its way under a pile of clothes). That's what I'm worried about.

No case can protect it from being stepped on, sorry.

Be more careful with your valuables, perhaps? :wink:

Dave, the screen is actually more resistant than the previous models, or like the iPod Classic.
If you hold one in your hand, you will feel the difference. A relative of mine has the iPhone and it is exactly as the iTouch, just no phone feature.
However, you must still have to remember that it is glass.

btw, I want one too.
There is a contest at work right now where I can win one:shifty:

are 8 or 16 GB enough for you? I just bought the 80 Gb classic and it's great, the major issue I read about this ones are that they can get a bit slow but so far I have no complains, a friend of mine bought the ¡touch and had to return it 2 times, because of problems with the battery and screen

It's obviously going to scratch over time. And thumbprints are a problem. But it depends on how you use it - none of my iPods ever had any problems with the screen scratching, but then again they were always in cases and I treated them with a lot of care. So if you know that you're a rough user (heh), then maybe this model is not the best for you given the price?

If you have a sizable library and aren't sure about the Touch (the iPhone without the phone, basically), then stick with the Classic. For 250 bucks, you get 80 gigs worth of space and it's still familiar, has a nice finish, updated interface, and reliable cases.

If you're going to go toward the Touch, I'd just go for the iPhone, personally.

If you're worried about durability, here's a story about a friend of mine. He has an iPhone, and the Touch's screen is exactly the same. Well, he dropped said iPhone into the street, and it was run over by a car. It looks like spiders tried to eat it. BUT! the screen still works perfectly! Would I suggest doing something like this? No, but it's good to know that they are made pretty well.

I personally have a Classic that I got the first week they came out in September, it has one scratch on the screen, and I don't use a case right now. The scratch is so minimal though, I can't even see it most of the time.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's a solid 9.6 on the Bitchin' Scale.

I bought a $250 30 GB iPod.

Within a fucking month, they make the 80 GB $250 as well.

Fuck me.

I would never get a touch screen--they may be more resistant, but they still get smudged to crap.

phillyfan26 said:

Fuck me.

Almost the same story here. I bought an 80gb for $300 (or was it $350?) in June. And in August they went down to $250.

phillyfan26 said:

Fuck me.

I got the video ipod for my birthday back in May 2006. 2 weeks later there was a new U2 ipod for basically the same price. FMT

Back
Top Bottom