ipod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SavesTheWorld

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
i forgot about this forum.

i just bought a new (60GB) ipod

Its a replacement for my u2 ipod that is dying a painful death

In any event, i never got around to connecting my old ipod to my stereo because i live in a condo and my neighbors would kill me.

but, i just bought a house and now i can hook this thing up to my stereo

what are your thoughts on the Apple connector kit?
is it necessary?

or should i just buy the cables for $19 and go that route? my concern is having my ipod just sitting on top of my entertainment center (as in NOT IN A DOCK) and not having the power cable to hook it up.

this is what this thing includes for $99.00:

Here's what you get:

iPod AV Cable
On one end, the iPod AV Cable connects to the headphone port of the iPod or the line-out port on the iPod Universal Dock. On the other end, it connects to the left/right stereo input jacks on a stereo, powered speakers or TV and the composite video input on a TV or monitor.

Universal Dock
The iPod Universal Dock serves as a convenient and elegant home base. It features an infrared port for the Apple Remote. And it works with all iPod models that have a dock connector through the use of interchangeable inserts called Dock Adapters.

Dock Adapters
These adapters snap into the Universal Dock to provide a snug fit for any iPod with a Dock connector. This package includes adapters for five iPods: iPod mini; iPod with click wheel (20GB, 40GB/U2 Special Edition); iPod with color display (20GB/30GB/U2 Special Edition, 40GB/60GB). New iPods already include adapters for that model, and other adapters are available separately.

Apple Remote
The Apple Remote combines with the Universal Dock to let you experience your iPod from across the room. When used with the iPod, the Apple Remote offers play/pause, volume control and forward/back buttons. (Note: Menu button is inactive when used to control iPod.)

USB Power Adapter
Use this convenient USB based adapter to charge your iPod. Simply plug the adapter into a wall outlet and connect to your iPod for recharging.

Dock connector to USB cable
This cable connects to the iPod USB Power Adapter to deliver a continuous charge.

*About iPod Compatibility All iPod models with Dock connector are compatible with the iPod AV Connection Kit. Different iPod models offer different capabilities:
Music playback: All iPod models with Dock connector
Slideshows: iPod with color display and iPod with video
Video playback: iPod with video
Charging: iPod with Click Wheel, iPod mini, iPod with color display, iPod nano and iPod with video

I heard the remote is a piece of shit because it can't really control the menu.

So, basically I'm wondering the best way to hook up my ipod to my stereo.

Has anyone bought one of these combo deals and, if so, did you find that the majority of the items included were worthless?

:huh:

Its ok. The party rooms completely suck. They are tiny and the food is terrible.
The bathrooms are shitty for a new stadium. The first game I went to I thought I really liked it (as I do with most new things) but the more games I go to, the less impressed I am with it.

i wonder if you could still buy a connector cable too, and connect it directly to the stereo :hmm:

then youd have the best sound, it would look nice in a stand, it would charge as its playing, and the remote works better...

I dont exactly understand what it does EXCEPT of providing the connection iPod -> Stereo?

If there aren´t any blatant advantages to connect, just buy a simple cable, stereo mini jack (earphones output) -> cinch in (your amplifier) for $3.

That said because I don´t have an iPod I dont know if the Adapter and USB are necessary to transfer the files. But someone should kick Steve Jobs´ nuts.

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I dont exactly understand what it does EXCEPT of providing the connection iPod -> Stereo?

If there aren´t any blatant advantages to connect, just buy a simple cable, stereo mini jack (earphones output) -> cinch in (your amplifier) for $3.

That said because I don´t have an iPod I dont know if the Adapter and USB are necessary to transfer the files. But someone should kick Steve Jobs´ nuts.

I think what it also does is provide line-level sound. I don't play my iPod often through my stereo. I've tried it in the past with just the cables and the signal levels are not what the receiver is expecting - i.e. it sounds too low (or distorted) even with the volume cranked up.

It's worth trying though, in different input jacks on the receiver. I think one of the items above also has a bass booster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom