iPod in car: auxiliary jack or adapter? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:28 AM
iPod in car: auxiliary jack or adapter?

I'm finally getting a CD player installed in my car, after six years of only having a tape deck and radio

I know I'll be going to Circuit City, since I have a gift card from there that will just about cover the price. I have it narrowed down to four possible CD players, two by Sony and two by Pioneer. They're all in the same price range, so now I want to go to the store and play around with them to see which one I like best.

The iPod adapters for each model run about $50, but I've also read that it's possible to connect the iPod via the auxiliary jack. The adapter charges the iPod, which might be handy considering my iPod battery doesn't last as long as it used to, and I would be able to control the iPod from the stereo. I'm not sure if that's worth $50, though. Does anyone have any recommendations of which is better?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:28 AM
I went for a full integration unit (~$150) and it's the greatest thing in the world. Charges my iPod, and I can control the tunes from my steering wheel just like it's the regular stereo - even switch playlists.

If you do a lot of driving I'd go for the adapter, but if most of your driving is short trips, the jack will probably be the more cost effective solution.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Auxillary!!!! Those adapter suck so much. When I bought my new car it came with an Auxillary input and it's wonderful.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I was leaning toward getting the adapter this afternoon because I'm not one of those drivers who multitasks well. I like the idea of controlling everything with one remote while I'm driving.

I went to Circuit City this afternoon and looked at quite a few stereos. The sales guy was very helpful. At first I thought he was only trying to get me to spend more, but he helped me to see that spending an extra thirty dollars for a better stereo now will save me money later.

The one I'm going to get is iPod ready, meaning there's no adapter to buy separately. It has both a USB port and an auxiliary jack, so if I decide I don't like the adapter, I can hook up my iPod other ways. Unfortunately the parts for installation are going to cost $66 ( ), but I feel like I'm making a good investment. I'm going to go back either tomorrow or Friday to get it.

Thanks for your input