Internet Troubles With Laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
Alright, where do I start.

I turn on the laptop as normal, wait for everything to load up properly, slide in the Wireless network card, and away she goes..

Well, thats what usually happens.......

Now after about 30 seconds or so, my internet connection drops out. Its not a wireless connection drop out, because it would say so. (I did have this problem when using dial up a couple of weeks ago, and I formatted and it fixed it)

So It will start loading the home page, then just gives that error as if there is no connection whatsoever (But I assure you, the controller is telling me there is a connection)

Maybe could it be a hardware error in the laptop?, a device conflit of some sort?, Virus even?, I haven't my norton 03 CD on me, so I cannot install Norton on the laptop...
Am also running Zone Alarm Pro on both computers....

I've also just installed SP2 On it (because I lost it on my format the other week)

:(

Last edited:
Are the lights on the wireless card blinking? (should be two greens)

Usually when this type of thing happens to me, it's because the computer finds a wireless network, but then can't keep the connection for some security reason. If this is the case, make sure your wireless connection is configured correctly.

My computer also does this b/c I have a shitty card. I put it in (or turn on the comp and it's already in), it connects, I'm online for 30 secs or a minute or so, and then it drops out, renews the IP address, connects again, and then I'm on for good.

Yep, Both lights are on.

I'm pretty sure its not the wireless connection that drops out, becuase it still says its connected.

Internet Explorer comes up with the Page cannot be displayed message, MSN wont work, but some how the Microsoft Updates still can update.

Last edited:
Hm, lights on, Windows Update working, and connection not giving an error...sounds like it's fine. Make sure IE is configured correctly. Clear the cache.

I've seen a lot of cases like you've described and 9 times out of 10 it's a spyware issue, but you've just reinstalled your OS....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hm, lights on, Windows Update working, and connection not giving an error...sounds like it's fine. Make sure IE is configured correctly. Clear the cache.

I've seen a lot of cases like you've described and 9 times out of 10 it's a spyware issue, but you've just reinstalled your OS....

Zone Alarm deleted about 5-10 Spyware files.

I shall clear the cache and see what happens......and still no luck.

Can you ping anything? Go to Start > Run... > enter "cmd" and hit Enter > in the command prompt type "ping forum.interference.com" or "ping www.google.com" and see what happens. Also, enter "ipconfig /all" and see what your IP address is....

no, what is the laptop one? I'm assuming it's good since it can ping. If it's not working, there are several IP addresses I can recognize as being ones you don't want.

If you can ping without errors, I'm not sure what else to tell you. I hate IE and MSN so I've never used much of either.

I'm gonna go ahead and post these anyway...

PC : 203.17.151.256
Lap: 203.17.151.287

Looks like i'm connecting to someone in my street who has the same ISP?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Those are both OK. What do you mean though? Your PC and laptop don't use the same ISP?

I thought because we are sharing the one Internet connection that both IP's should be the same?

No, your router assigns IP addresses to each computer on your local area network. That's why only the last set of numbers is different.

Do you have any other computers connecting to the internet through the same router? I mean the main router, NOT the WAP(Wireless Access Point). You want to make sure the problem is in the laptop and not with the connection itself(ISPs sometimes just go down for a while).

You say your ping worked fine when you typed ping forum.interference.com or ping www.google.com? This is what perplexes me because what you're describing - where a browser won't connect to any page but a ping works fine - sounds like a situation where the connection is fine but your computer doesn't know of any DNS server to connect to...but if using ping with with a web address(as opposed to an IP address) works, then that can't be the problem.

I realize what I just said probably doesn't mean much to you :wink:

Um...I'm trying to think of the simple things...

1.Make sure the laptop is connecting to the RIGHT wireless network...if a neighbor has a wireless network or something, your wireless card could be recognizing it instead of yours, and that would effect your internet connection.

2.If you have any way connecting your laptop to the main router via hardwire(aka non-wireless), try that and see if you can connect.

Isolating the problem is key.

I have a very basic setup of just two these two computers. (Laptop & PC)

WAP is conntected to the modem

I have a wireless controller in both Computers, and it was worked 110% fine since last night when I turned on the laptop, and nothing worked.

I will try the non-wirelss idea!

I get the same problem when connected non-wirelessly (is that even a word :lol:)

So this is probably the same problem I had when I was using dial up a few weeks ago, I could stay conncted but it would just terminitate the connection after probably a minute or so.

With the Connection i'm on now it just has a few loading bars and then says page cannont be found ect ect..

I'm thinking firefox is not going to fix this anyway....

But you say you have one other computer besides the laptop on the same connection...are you having any problems connecting with that computer right now?

namkcuR said:
But you say you have one other computer besides the laptop on the same connection...are you having any problems connecting with that computer right now?

Yep, The Other PC, which is the PC i'm right now, the internet connection is working fine.

bono_man2002 said:

Yep, The Other PC, which is the PC i'm right now, the internet connection is working fine.

If the 'other PC' is connecting to the internet fine, than the connection isn't the problem.

You might try to get access to another wireless card, put it in your laptop, and see if it makes a difference.

namkcuR said:

If the 'other PC' is connecting to the internet fine, than the connection isn't the problem.

You might try to get access to another wireless card, put it in your laptop, and see if it makes a difference.

But since I've tried the Laptop working with the 'non-wireless' soultion, and that didnt work...is another wireless card going to make much of a diffrence?

bono_man2002 said:

But since I've tried the Laptop working with the 'non-wireless' soultion, and that didnt work...is another wireless card going to make much of a diffrence?

Yes, you're right, I misread that.

I'm stumped. The laptop can ping fine, so a connection is there, but the browser won't connect to anything, wirelesly or hardwired. The other pc has no problem.

Did you try firefox yet?

namkcuR said:

Yes, you're right, I misread that.

I'm stumped. The laptop can ping fine, so a connection is there, but the browser won't connect to anything, wirelesly or hardwired. The other pc has no problem.

Did you try firefox yet?

Just tried Firefox and no sale. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom