In the market for a camera... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:33 AM
In the market for a camera...

It may be time for a new camera for Maddy. She's been asking for one for a while & her birthday is coming up. She currently has a Canon Powershot A550. It generally seems to take good pictures, but definitely not at night. She uses it to takes tons of photos, day/night indoor/outdoor and videos too. She's also plans to take a photography class as an elective for her junior year at High School. The counselor indicated that the first part of the year would be with manual cameras, which we still have a few here: a Canon EOS Rebel X S, and an even older Nikon, so we should be set there. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but want to get her something good that will last. Not that her Powershot hasn't lasted, it's just not good for certain things, unless there's something with the settings we can play with, but... right now, neither of us know manual settings. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

And this past weekend's Target ads for my area...
http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...email_RS005020

Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Any suggestions in buying a new camera/what would be good for the tour?

Digital Camera Recommendations

good Cameras for the new Tour

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the links, Sicy. I'll look at them tonight. But remember, she's not wanting a camera because of U2 touring And the technology changes/improves, and new models become available, so there's that to factor in too.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:33 PM
A recommendation largely depends on price range- dslr versus fixed lens, etc. Some review websites like Steve's digicams give sample photos, which can be compared across cameras.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

I think you sent me to that site last time
Yeah, nothing high-end/fancy schmancy. Maybe under $200 I don't know if you can see the cameras in the Target ad link I posted.
More in line with the small, carry everywhere including concerts type o' camera.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I just ordered the Nikon Coolpix kit that's in that Target ad for my mother for Mother's Day. I got it from Amazon with no tax and free 2 day shipping for 149, same as the Target price. Every time I'm looking for something advertised at Target they're out of it, it does say limited quantities. Best Buy had it advertised this week for the same price. I've been doing quite a bit of online comparison shopping and that seemed like a good deal to me, of course I needed to get it this week.

It's the LCD touchscreen so I thought it would be easier/less intimidating for her..I hope so. I've never had a Nikon Coolpix but hopefully it will be a good one. It's only a 4X zoom. It comes with the case and a 2Gb card.

It's in the girly and chic plum color too with a matching case. I know that doesn't matter but your daughter would probably like that. I do.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

So are you wanting to mess with manual settings or no? Most new compacts come with almost full manual settings. I have a Canon SX120 and I love it. I took those hummingbird pics with it and the most recent cat pics (on fb) you can see that it really does a good job with a little tweaking of the settings. It's a little bulky though so it really doesnt fit in your pocket.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Most new compacts come with almost full manual settings.
I haven't noticed that - it still seems most compacts have auto settings plus scene modes, but not manual, aperture priority, shutter priority etc. I had a Kodak Z915 before - it took good concert photos. I decided to re-order it for something like $120 on amazon and use it only for concerts. It's pretty small and has manual modes, and takes pretty good low light shots for the price. It might not be the best for daytime shots, but I don't plan to use it for that. The SX120 looks good too (probably better overall).
The Canon S90 and G10/G11 are great, but cost $400ish.

Some show photos are here from last fall (taken with the Kodak z915). :
September 29, 2009, Fedex Field
Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I just ordered the Nikon Coolpix kit that's in that Target ad for my mother for Mother's Day. I got it from Amazon with no tax and free 2 day shipping for 149, same as the Target price. Every time I'm looking for something advertised at Target they're out of it, it does say limited quantities. Best Buy had it advertised this week for the same price. I've been doing quite a bit of online comparison shopping and that seemed like a good deal to me, of course I needed to get it this week.

It's the LCD touchscreen so I thought it would be easier/less intimidating for her..I hope so. I've never had a Nikon Coolpix but hopefully it will be a good one. It's only a 4X zoom. It comes with the case and a 2Gb card.

It's in the girly and chic plum color too with a matching case. I know that doesn't matter but your daughter would probably like that. I do.
I checked all the ads in the paper from over the weekend, and I saw that camera everywhere with the case and 2gig memory card. Sounds like a good deal, but I don't know if it's a good camera for her needs/wants, or if there's something better in the price range. And her birthday is not til July, so don't know if the good deal will be around if I wait. Ntal? Liesje?

Sicy - right now neither of us know how to use the manual settings. I would think she might learn about them if she gets into the photography class, but I don't know. She's not one to sit with the manual and try to figure it out, and I'm not either I'll have to see what an SX120 looks like and how much it costs. Maybe I can take up a collection for Maddy's birthday, LOL. (KIDDING!)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

The SX120 is on the Target website that you linked to in your first post. It's $200.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

It's not in my Target ad But I see it online. What's the difference between that & the Nikon Coolpix?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Well I dont know. I clicked the link you posted, then went to cameras.

Canon PowerShot 10.0MP Digital Camera - Black (SX120 IS) : Target
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Liesje?
My default answer is go with Nikon or Canon.

I like this site b/c it ranks cameras rather than just reading individual reviews and having to rank them somehow in your mind: Digital Cameras - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice

For example.... Best Cameras Under $150 | Digital Camera HQ's Buyer's Guide - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice

Overall, you kinda get what you pay for. If she's looking for better performance at night....I don't know, the limitations of any point and shoot are kind of a deal breaker for me. I guess I'd look for something with more manual settings and maybe offers a higher ISO. Even with a DSLR I am using a flash attachment for low light (or setting it up on a tripod and using a remote for the moon, fireworks, long exposures, etc).
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm also in the market for a new compact- canceled my Kodak order for now to explore other choices.

This seems to be a good site - I'll dig into this more:

Camera Labs Buyer's Guide - The Best Digital SLRs and Point and Shoot digital cameras

I'm going to try to stay away from more megapixels - more MP usually means more noise if the sensor size is the same. Ironically cheaper cameras can have less noise because of the fewer MPs.
e.g. that $120 Kodak has less low light noise than many cameras twice the price.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I decided to order the Fuji F70EXR:

Basically, it has a manual mode and the lowest ISO 400 noise of any compact selling for under $300 or so.

Tags
cameras