In the market for a camera...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lila what kind of pics is she taking at night? Pics of people? Using a flash? Or longer exposures for more arty stuff like the moon?

Just pictures of friends, at parties, a rare concert thrown in. If I remember, they don't come out sharp, and are grainy. I'd have to ask her, but she ain't here right now. No artsy stuff, at least not right now. I'm just afraid that a new camera would be similar to the old and that manual settings might be the different. Just that I can't teach them to her since I don't know anything about settings :reject:

Auto settings shouldn't be used for concerts - some other threads have manual settings used. Compacts are inherently noisy compared to dslrs/superzooms (at least at mid to high ISOs used for low light) because their sensors are smaller.

Sorry to hijack your thread for a minute, Lila. Can anyone point me to the threads with discussions about manual settings? I want to learn how to use the manual modes on my camera. I have a Sony HX1 that I bought last year. Bulky, but I bought it primarily for the zoom and the anti blur.

I took a couple of sample concert shots with the Fuji, but I don't consider these a good "test" because I was 25-30 yards away from the stage on the left for Pearl Jam. The Fuji zoom goes to only 270mm versus 350mm for my previous Kodak as well.

These show a bit of noise reduction detail loss because I didn't reduce them as much as I normally could have with larger images out of compacts (given the distance). At some point I might re-consider the Kodak or another brand with more zoom. The Canon SX20 IS has 20x zoom, but it's almost as big as a dslr unfortunately. Overall, I think I can get good results with the F70 if I'm not too far away from stage.

So are you wanting to mess with manual settings or no? Most new compacts come with almost full manual settings. I have a Canon SX120 and I love it. I took those hummingbird pics with it and the most recent cat pics (on fb) you can see that it really does a good job with a little tweaking of the settings. It's a little bulky though so it really doesnt fit in your pocket.

Can I friend you on FB to see your pics? I am looking for a camera that takes good pictures in natural light without a flash. I currently have a Canon SD880 and a Lumix DMC-TZ4.

The Canon takes beautiful pictures. My only complaint is that the shutter speed (I think??) is too long when I take pictures without a flash in natural light. I was trying to take pictures of my sister's new kitten and of course kittens don't sit still. :angry: I couldn't get a clear picture no matter how I messed with the settings. The kids/pets setting was the best option but the results were less than stellar.

I purchased the Lumix because it has a 10x zoom. It's good for concerts but the auto focus leaves something to be desired. Also the colors are not as vibrant as the Canon.

Can I friend you on FB to see your pics?

The Canon takes beautiful pictures. My only complaint is that the shutter speed (I think??) is too long when I take pictures without a flash in natural light.

Yes of course! I actually thought we were already friends :lol:

With my camera I can just turn the shutter way up, that's how I get clear pics of them yawning, etc.

Took a few photos of The National with a Kodak (it was pretty dark). I think I'll stick with the Kodak for concerts because it has better zoom (350mm), and sell my Fuji.

SINGER1.jpg

GUIT1.jpg

GUIT2.jpg

Was that a regular digital? What settings did you use?

I've been practicing taking pics with a U2 cover band I go see but I swear nothing I seem to do makes pics look like that ^ :( If I raise the shutter speed they're too dark. Lower it, I get blur.

Was that a regular digital? What settings did you use?

I've been practicing taking pics with a U2 cover band I go see but I swear nothing I seem to do makes pics look like that ^ :( If I raise the shutter speed they're too dark. Lower it, I get blur.

Yeah, regular compact Kodak Z915 - it used to cost almost $200, but it's been on sale for $100-120ish. I used it for my U2 shots in DC as well. I'll have to get another one as a backup - ha.

It works well for concert hall or arena lighting, but I don't think it would work well in clubs because they are a lot darker. I used basically ISO 400, 1/60-1/125s, and a wide aperture. I had many shots that were too dark as well - luckily U2 and other big acts use brighter lights. For club shots I'd have to use my dslr at ISO 800-3200 - a compact would be too noisy at that ISO.

:bump:

i'm possibly considering replacing my camera (i've got a canon powershot s2 is). i'm not too big on messing with manual settings (do any settings you umm, set on the camera for manual stuff keep even if you turn the camera off?) but if i can tinker with it before a concert, i'd try it out. i've read all the camera threads for the tours and have a somewhat decent idea of what to look for, i think.

there are two cameras i'm looking at. i'll list the specs here so no one's got to go tooling around online to find them just to answer my questions. :reject: both are canon powershots because i like them.
sx30 is
14.1 mp resolution / 24-840 (35x) lens zoom / f/2.7-5.8 aperture
sx230 hs
12.1 mp resolution / 28-392 (14x) lens zoom / f/3.1-5.9 aperture

now obviously the first one is the better camera. my question though is are the improvements in the features in the sx30 amazing enough to warrant paying more? the size of the camera itself (the sx30 is of course much bigger) doesn't bother me either, though i don't like electronics that are too small and light, it makes me afraid i'll drop them. i've had my s2 for over five years and have never dropped it!

so yeah, does anyone who actually knows something about cameras have any opinions? :reject:

sx30 is
14.1 mp resolution / 24-840 (35x) lens zoom / f/2.7-5.8 aperture
sx230 hs
12.1 mp resolution / 28-392 (14x) lens zoom / f/3.1-5.9 aperture

now obviously the first one is the better camera. my question though is are the improvements in the features in the sx30 amazing enough to warrant paying more? the size of the camera itself (the sx30 is of course much bigger) doesn't bother me either, though i don't like electronics that are too small and light, it makes me afraid i'll drop them. i've had my s2 for over five years and have never dropped it!

so yeah, does anyone who actually knows something about cameras have any opinions? :reject:

Well just going by the specs you posted.....for me the only one of those three specs that would really matter is the aperture, whether the 2.7 vs 3.1 is worth it. Probably not?

I would think the most important feature for an amateur photographer would be the zoom. How much of those numbers is optical zoom and how much is digital zoom? Digital zoom is pointless, so throw those numbers away

What's the price difference?

I've never been a gear monkey and know more about the higher end stuff than the point and shoot, but just try to imagine what you would have more fun with rather than getting hung up on technical details. The 2 megapixel difference is probably negligible, as it the less than half a stop difference in aperture. Depending on the price difference, I would think the higher zoom function would come in handy

the sx230 is $300, the sx30 is $400. i prefer to just buy crap online out of laziness (and the price is better), but i think i'm going to see if any stores around here have both in stock that i can play with.

thanks liesje and jive turkey :)

Panasonic LX5. Or Canon S95. Either one you can shoot in RAW and get much better night photos than shooting in compressed jpeg. Also, the zoom is only 3x I think. You don't want the huge 16x zoom if you want good night pictures. Those do not go hand in hand. I had the LX3 and moved up to the LX5 after the Minny typhoon ruined it.

LOL - I bought her a camera in early June for her July birthday. I wanted her to have it in time for the U2 shows in Anaheim. Her pics turned out great, so it all worked out well. I got her a Panasonic Lumix. She seems to be very happy with it :)

Also, Maddy is rarely on the forum these days. Kids :tsk: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom