I'm getting strange error messages & nothing's working right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thora

Blue Crack Supplier
I've been having problems with my computer acting all wonky last night and this morning, and I don't know how to fix it.

This all started yesterday, and it happened out of the blue. I had left my computer on while I was at work, and I came home, and tried to click on Firefox. None of my programs would start, so I restarted the computer.

An error message will pop up that's called svchost.exe- Application error. The message inside says: The instructions at "0x75606eb5" referenced memory at "0x0000008." The memory could not be "read." Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

There will be different numbers that show up in multiple error messages that pop up at random times. If I click OK or CANCEL, the computer freezes. If I just click on the X and close out of it, nothing happens.

My programs are not running properly (or at all), and I have no idea what to do to make my computer run well again. I haven't downloaded anything recently, or done anything out of the ordinary, so this is really strange. Sometimes I can get Firefox to work - right now it seems to be fine. I'm sure it will freeze up again sometime soon.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Sounds like an issue with the RAM? Can you take out the RAM and put it back in (sometimes it gets slightly out of the socket)? Or if it's going bad you might need new RAM. If you have more than one stick you can put in one at a time and see if that helps. My laptop has 2 1GB sticks and when the computer got flukey, I figured out that it worked OK with one of the 2 sticks (just wasn't as fast), and used it with one stick until I could get it replaced.

I have no idea what that means. :reject: Sorry - I'm not very computer savvy.

I don't have anything sticking out of the computer right now, except the cords for my camera and iPod.

I don't think it's the RAM, otherwise the computer wouldn't start.

I don't know what it could be though..., You should try doing a virus scan, a spyware and adware scan to see if there's something naughty around that may be the cause of it.

I don't think it's the RAM, otherwise the computer wouldn't start.

Not always the case. I've worked on a few where the RAM is bad or going bad, especially if there's more than one stick of RAM, it doesn't run into problems until it's trying to use memory on the bad area of the bad stick.

System Restore is a good idea.

I clicked on system restore, but nothing happened - nothing popped up, and nothing seems to be happening. I clicked it again, and a message popped up saying "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

I tried that, and still nothing is happening. :hmm:

I clicked on system restore, but nothing happened - nothing popped up, and nothing seems to be happening. I clicked it again, and a message popped up saying "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

I tried that, and still nothing is happening. :hmm:

Woah, that sounds like some virus! :crack: A window should popup with the option of either going back to a restore point or make a new one!

Can you do a virus/trojan/worm scan?

Not always the case. I've worked on a few where the RAM is bad or going bad, especially if there's more than one stick of RAM, it doesn't run into problems until it's trying to use memory on the bad area of the bad stick.

System Restore is a good idea.

Yeah, by not starting I meant Windows, Not that the PC wouldn't turn on.

The system restore worked for me earlier this week, luckily.
Good luck Thora
crossfingers.gif

Could be your Windows installation has some corrupted files. Try this:

Put your Windows XP or Vista disc in the drive.

Then (for XP) go to the Start menu, then click on Run and type sfc /scannow and hit OK.

(for Vista) go to the Start menu, then All Programs and Accessories. Find the Command Prompt, then right-click on that and choose from the menu "Run as Administrator". Then type sfc /scannow and hit the Enter key.

Let the System File Checker run. If it finds corrupted files it will replace them from your original disc.

Also download and run Panda Rootkit - you can get it from one of my favourite sites Major Geeks - page for Panda Anti-Rootkit. svchost problems can be linked with rootkit viruses if a normal scan can't find anything else.

With multiple errors popping up, your only option might be to do a Repair Install of your operating system. Post back if doing the File Checker doesn't work, and someone will tell you how to repair.

Teddy

Also I Googled your first error message (with this search string, if you want to try it)

+svchost.exe +"application error" +0x00000008

and found this possible solution to that particular message:

1.Go 2 the start menu
2.Right click "my computer"
3.Click "properties" then the "automatic updates" tab
4.Choose "turn off automatic updates"
5.Reboot your computer
6.Go back to start menu and in all programs go to "windows update" you have to be connected to the internet.
7.Manually update windows.
8.Turn your automatic updates back on.

The last solution to this problem I've found, to keep automatic update on.
1- Turn off Automatic update
2- Go to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\download
3- Delete all files and folders
4- Turn on Automatic update
5- Connect to internet to get the updates again
6- Install all downloaded updates

Back
Top Bottom