I need an External Hard drive.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
Hi guys,
So this is my dilemma; I have a very basic laptop right now (Dell Inspiron 1000) and it's full. Mostly beacuse of my iTunes, I have thousands of songs and music videos inside.

Should I buy a bigger hard drive for it or should I buy an external hard drive?

:hmm:

External I'd go for.

Then you can rotate having your music from your laptop to your desktop (if you have one as well)

I plan on getting myself a 320Gb external drive eventually.

Definitely an external!!!

I use a Western Digital "Passport". The Passport line are USB drives that are designed to be portable (i.e, it doesn't need a case or a fan). I've had it for about a year and had no problems with it. It's been compatible with Macs and PCs without having to format anything or anything becoming corrupted. At the time, I did research on various brands and decided this was the best for a portable drive. I can't remember the reasoning though...

RedrocksU2 said:
Thanks guys.

Any reputable place to buy these units? I've heard not to buy from eBay.

I bought mine from buy.com and also purchased an additional year warranty for it. They send you an e-mail certificate that you print out w/ your e-mail receipt and that is your proof of warranty. When I'm looking to buy tech items, I always check buy.com or newegg.com first. With something like that, I don't use eBay or get something used (unless it's cheap junk like cabling or a $5 network card).

Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U2500N 250GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

22-136-022-02.jpg

$99 !

Ok, so I got the HD.
How do I transfer my iTunes to the HD (E drive)?

This has to be so simple, yet I cannot figure it out.:huh:

Here's a link to set iTunes to both copy your music over to the external and set it to play from the external as well:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

I'm planning on doing this once I get another external, and my new Macbook (only another month or so :drool: )

Anyhow, just remember to have the external plugged in when you try to listen to music, otherwise you'll get a nice error message saying iTunes can't find your music. :)

ok, so I did this.
I have all my files from iTunes on drive E and I see all of them on folders.
The instructions from that page on itunes dot com, say to drag the iTunes icon from my desktop to the trash bin and to empty it.
So my next question is; if I do this, how do I get to my iTunes library after that icon is gone?

I almost bought a Western Digital drive myself! It is sleek and nice looking. But I ended up getting SimpleTech's external drive instead. It's working fine so far but the instructions were not user friendly at all.

:lol: I'm sorry.

Answer to your question... I guess if you've transfered all of itunes into your external, I think you can simply click on it (F drive or whatever), look for itunes and create a shortcut for your desktop. Is that what you're asking?

Btw, does your drive do this too: Every time I turn my drive on (I don't keep it on forever), it opens up this window that looks for all the files that have been now added on to the computer and then it prompts a window that says "what would you like to open this new hardware with". I just cancel it since it's only an external drive that should be part of my comp anyway and not some new fancy device. How can I get rid of the new hardware prompt??? :mad: :huh:

Well, I have mine in "e" drive.

I just don't want to drag the current icon from iTunes to the trash bin, until I am 100% sure that I won't be able to retrieve it later:huh:

I just bought my HD, so I haven't experienced that....yet.

The current icon on your desktop links to the old location (on C drive usually). You have to delete it (or drag to recycle bin in other words) and create a new shortcut icon for your E drive itunes!

Well, yeah... the folders with the actual music is just the back end, which is physically in your hard drive. Your library is created by the front end which is the itunes software itself which also should be installed in your new drive if you did it right. So now all you gotta do now is to find that executable file (with itunes logo) in your E drive, right click on it, create shortcut and drag it to your desktop. You can check by right clicking on that new icon and checking the Properties, whether it links to the new drive or not. If you want to be absolutely safe, then don't delete the old files in C drive just yet. Create shortcut for the new location and play it from the new location as a test.

:hmm: I would think that you just delete the iTunes Music Folder, not the program itself...then, in iTunes, you can choose for the program to play the music from your external by directing it to the Music Folder you made on your external.

onebloodonelife said:
:hmm: I would think that you just delete the iTunes Music Folder, not the program itself...then, in iTunes, you can choose for the program to play the music from your external by directing it to the Music Folder you made on your external.

That's the way I've done it in the past.

Back
Top Bottom