I feel like a lame, but my sound is broken.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LikeNoOneBefore

Refugee
My sound suddenly stopped working. No, it's not muted. No, the speakers aren't unplugged. And no, the sound isn't all the way down.

Can someone get me fast tech help because my mind isn't working today? :wink: Thanks much.

I'm not a techie, but I've had this problem a couple of times with my Windows laptop. I can hear system sounds, but couldn't use my media players, and sometimes the sound effects on games have stopped as well. Doing the Windows updates seemed to fix the problem. Hope your sound is working now!

I suddenly had that a while back too, what driver do you have for your sound? Turns out mine was completely gone suddenly, so I downloaded the driver again and now it's functioning again..

Go to the manufacturer's website, look for a link like Support > Drivers & Downloads. There should be a field where you can select your model or enter a serial number or service tag number. Then it should load a page with drivers you can download. Or, many computers come with a disc with the drivers.

If it's a Dell, you go to support.dell.com and type in your service tag number, click Downloads. The service tag is on a white sticker.

If you don't know what driver you have:
first check your pc configuration, I've not a clue what the english names for it are, but at the start button there's an option for configuration..
should have something with audio/speech appliances
choose sound and audio appliances, or something alike it

it should give you a screen with properties, and there it says what driver you have, in my case Realtek AC97...

then as Lies said, go to the driver website, or if you don't know it google it to get a downloadable file :)

download and install the driver, and your sound should work again

Crazy....I just bought a new HP computer and the soundcard built in is on the fritz.

Itunes music plays fine, but other than that I have no sound at all.

I ended up switching out the soundcard from my old comp and now everything works. I still havent found a solution to the original problem though

Liesje said:
If it's a Dell, you go to support.dell.com and type in your service tag number, click Downloads. The service tag is on a white sticker.

I can also access my express service code from my start menu. It's in the "Dell Accessories" folder.

Be careful with using the service code on the Dell site, though. A few months ago, I went to check for updates because I was having problems with something in iTunes. Dell told me I had a different sound card than I actually do, so when I installed the updated drivers for the wrong sound card, I lost all of my sound.

The sound system in my computer hasn't been the same since. I have to reinstall my sound drivers every time I start or restart my computer, and I haven't been able to use my microphone since then. I have no idea how to fix the problem, so I've just made a shortcut to the driver on my desktop :banghead:

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I can also access my express service code from my start menu. It's in the "Dell Accessories" folder.

Be careful with using the service code on the Dell site, though. A few months ago, I went to check for updates because I was having problems with something in iTunes. Dell told me I had a different sound card than I actually do, so when I installed the updated drivers for the wrong sound card, I lost all of my sound.

The sound system in my computer hasn't been the same since. I have to reinstall my sound drivers every time I start or restart my computer, and I haven't been able to use my microphone since then. I have no idea how to fix the problem, so I've just made a shortcut to the driver on my desktop :banghead:

That bites! Usually when I use their support site, it gives many choices for most of the drivers since different versions of a single model can contain different hardware. It's kind of a pain since you've already specified the model, but still have to figure out the exact hardware specs and pick the drivers.

Like GG said, sometimes the easiest is to Google for a driver or use DriverGuide.com.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Do you remember what driver you updated(the wrong one!!)?
if you do, check software and try deinstalling it... then reinstall your working driver.

Back
Top Bottom