I don't like spending money...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
...even if I find that it is reasonable and well-thought out.

In this case, I need a new computer--and one that can reasonably handle some high-demand processes like HD video editing, motion graphics/3D creation, and, yes, some gaming. For a while, I debated whether to get a Mac Pro or not, and, after several months of pondering, reality eventually set in that I just flat out can't afford it.

So, instead, I decided to go the route I've done at least three times before and build it myself. December, too, is a good month to do this, because that's when all the parts sales come out, and I'll be raking in, at least, $150 in mail-in rebates. The machine I'm going to be building is going to cost less than the base Mac Pro, and, yet, will still have a rather modern Intel Quad Core processor with 8 GB of RAM and more hard drive space than many people can imagine (>1TB).

And, yet, even though I can afford this, it still makes me panicky inside. I feel like the exact opposite of a "shopaholic"! :huh:

MooMoo! said:
8GB though?! :ohmy: The pages would load before the light signals would get to your eyes. :der:

Oddly enough, it's only about $250, after the mail-in rebates. It's because I chose to go with a motherboard that supported DDR2 800 RAM, rather than the newer DDR3 RAM, where you'll probably spend $300 just to get 2 GB total! Looking at the benchmarks, DDR3 really isn't worth it currently, so I'm happy with my decision.

I have no idea what a DDR2 is, but apparantly my laptop has one...only 1 GB

I REALLY need more memory on my laptop though, its annoying as its a partitioned HD, so its split in 2, so you have to keep moving stuff around all the time cos 1 half gets filled up. :madwife:

MooMoo! said:
I have no idea what a DDR2 is, but apparantly my laptop has one...only 1 GB

I REALLY need more memory on my laptop though, its annoying as its a partitioned HD, so its split in 2, so you have to keep moving stuff around all the time cos 1 half gets filled up. :madwife:

Ah...well, laptops are a whole other beast in themselves. As you'd might expect, add ons often completely incompatible and more expensive than their regular desktop computer counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom