How Will HDTV Look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
On a clunky old analog TV? With digital cable, not a converter box

Anyone know? Will it just be a better picture or will it look at all like HD on an HDTV?

And won't the prices of HDTV's drop significantly next Feb?

Quite honestly, you probably won't see much of a difference because your old TV can't really do much with all the extra resolution - it will probably be a little clearer but there is no way that it will even come close to a full HD signal on an HD set...

There is a pretty good chance HDTV's will drop but I foresee them only going down at the regular pace as newer models and technologies come out - I don't think you will see crazy price drops just because Analog signals will stop - I could be wrong though...

What type and size of analog tv are you talking about? Is it a tube?

The prices on HD sets have already dropped, by thousands.
These companies will have to add better features and gizmos to keep them at a profitable margin and price. As it is, these types of electronics are not very profitable.

Yes a tube, I think about 26" or 28"-not sure

I know the price has already dropped, but I think it should drop even more and I'm just wondering when it will. When it all converts to HD obviously you won't even need to pay the cable company for HD/HD box.

HD is a 16:9 screen ratio, and the SDTV is 4:3 with fewer lines (480 vs. 720 or 1080).

To the manufacturer or the retailer?

Actually to both.
Margins are as low as 6 to 10% mark up. The profits are made when these companies sell extended warranties, Monster Cable, furniture and hardware such as brackets and wall mounts. The HD sets come with the table stand already.

Every year, there is a new line of sets and they have to add different features or benefits to keep the already low prices (Compared to what they were just 3 or 4 years ago) at a specific level.

Yes a tube, I think about 26" or 28"-not sure

I know the price has already dropped, but I think it should drop even more and I'm just wondering when it will. When it all converts to HD obviously you won't even need to pay the cable company for HD/HD box.

I honestly do not think they will drop much more. If you are looking for a deal, go to Costco and buy a Vizio unit. This are not the best By far), but they have a good picture and they also have a great warranty...I believe it's a 3 year, incredible for any tv...period.

When it converts to HD in February, you will be connected to most likely Satellite or Cable, which will provide the HD signal. So yeah, you will have to pay to get "HD" quality picture. But it's def worth it.

Really, you need both the HD service and the HDTV to get a difference.

HD displayed on analog doesn't look much better.

And basic on an HDTV looks worse than basic through analog.

I'd say wait on HD till you are going to get the HDTV.

Just because they're dumping analog doesn't mean an all-digital service will look better on an HDTV. You'd have to get the HD box for the full effect, like others have said already.

Thanks for all the info. If I get one next year I would want 1080, 32" or 37" and a Sharp Aquos-my mother has one and it looks great even though it's only a 720. And she got it at Costco. That is a great place to buy electronics.

Right now one of those is at least around $900- $1000 even on sale, so I really hope they come down in price. Costco does have good prices on HDTVs.

Hah, I wish. My dad and I always check out open box HDTVs when we got to Sam's and they're at decent enough prices, I guess.

If we found a sweet 27-32", 1080 one for around 500, we'd probably end up getting it.

I'll just say that my company offers a discount via Panasonic.....and, I ended up saving $1,200 on my new HDTV, which I've had for a week now, and love. 50 inch Plasma, Panasonic Viera. Our head engineer at work recommended it, and the fact that we had a employee purchase program was just luck. It's awesome. :love:

How many Comcasters did you have the kill for that? 4? 5? 15?

Does your path of destruction know no bounds?

I waited one fucking year to buy it due to Comcast. Don't get me started.

That I will not.

You know what would be cool? Getting Live and playing you suckos in Halo 3, and taking the game footage and editing it into a video of us beating the snot out of each other. That'd be terrific.

I can't believe how expensive TVs are now! Phil wanted a new one b/c we had a 19" CRT, but the cheapest TVs we could find were $300+ for only 14" or so. We ended up buying a used 28" CRT off Craigslist, mainly b/c Phil needed more size for playing Mario Kart (screen splits into 4). To me the difference in quality is not worth a thousand dollars. When I want to see something look really amazing we go to the IMAX theater. If Phil is mainly into the gaming thing I'd rather save for a projector.

So we have an analog TV but I guess we are fine since we already have digital cable and a box.

I can't believe how expensive TVs are now! Phil wanted a new one b/c we had a 19" CRT, but the cheapest TVs we could find were $300+ for only 14" or so. We ended up buying a used 28" CRT off Craigslist, mainly b/c Phil needed more size for playing Mario Kart (screen splits into 4). To me the difference in quality is not worth a thousand dollars. When I want to see something look really amazing we go to the IMAX theater. If Phil is mainly into the gaming thing I'd rather save for a projector.

So we have an analog TV but I guess we are fine since we already have digital cable and a box.

Phil can't watch sports at the IMax theater.

You're a trooper, Phil. :hug:

I don't think we get HD anyway (isn't that extra?), just "digital" basic whatever, and no special sports channels. He seems to play sports games and fantasy on the computer more than watching them on TV and his computer screen is much better quality and was larger than our old TV. Last time we watched a movie we used his computer b/c it also has a sound system.

Back
Top Bottom