How big is yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laptop's 40. Use 60gb iPod currently for extra space as I'm abroad for the semester, usually I'm plugged into my 320 external.

My 20GB laptop drive died and the only similar model available was 60GB minimum, so that's what I have now. Plus an 80GB portable external drive.

200 GB

I've only used a fraction of it though.

80 GB Windows hard disk.
160 GB for My Documents n' music and nekked pictures of whales.

Too expensive.

I stay with internals, and a 1GB USB stick.

A friend of mine took the external HDD of his fathers only one time somewhere else, and it was nearly the only time it was ever used and transported, and after that it was broke.

Maybe an unique experience, or bad luck, but for me it's not worth it. And they are costing at least €30 (about $38) more than a normal one.

PlaTheGreat said:
It feels like I'm the only one without an external hard drive. :sad:

meh, I was a computer technician for four years before I got one, and it was only because my laptop was on the fritz and I'd gotten into digital photography. Long story short, laptop DID die, glad I got the external backup, and I now keep important files and my photos backed up on the external and a secondary hard drive on Phil's desktop. Also, I help my mom with computer stuff and we like to share photos, so it's easier for me to take a portable drive home than both of us constantly uploading and downloading files.

If you get the right brand and are careful, they are very handy, depending on your needs. But if you don't really have a need for having tens of gigs worth of files always at hand, a USB flash drive would suffice.

Liesje said:

meh, I was a computer technician for four years before I got one, and it was only because my laptop was on the fritz and I'd gotten into digital photography. Long story short, laptop DID die, glad I got the external backup, and I now keep important files and my photos backed up on the external and a secondary hard drive on Phil's desktop. Also, I help my mom with computer stuff and we like to share photos, so it's easier for me to take a portable drive home than both of us constantly uploading and downloading files.

If you get the right brand and are careful, they are very handy, depending on your needs. But if you don't really have a need for having tens of gigs worth of files always at hand, a USB flash drive would suffice.

:uhoh: I only have about 18 GB left on my hard drive. I was going to start burning some DVD backups but the external hard drive is starting to look like a better idea.

PlaTheGreat said:

:uhoh: I only have about 18 GB left on my hard drive. I was going to start burning some DVD backups but the external hard drive is starting to look like a better idea.

I've done CD backups so many times I just went nuts. Even if/when I have the patience to burn like 30 discs, I'll lose track of them, or they'll get scratched or broken.

Hey, Christmas is coming you know.... :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:
It feels like I'm the only one without an external hard drive. :sad:

I got one earlier this year. I got a good deal on it, and it makes me feel a lot better knowing that all of my data is backed up. Also, if you have your stuff on an external, you can store it somewhere away from your computer. That way, if somebody breaks into your house and steals your computer, you'll still have your data. Yeah, I know, the odds of that happening are slim, but you never know.

Vincent Vega said:
Too expensive.

A friend of mine took the external HDD of his fathers only one time somewhere else, and it was nearly the only time it was ever used and transported, and after that it was broke.

Maybe an unique experience, or bad luck, but for me it's not worth it. And they are costing at least €30 (about $38) more than a normal one.

Yeah my 320 external is actually a 320 internal that only cost me 100 bucks. The shell was another 25 or so. And I LOVE my 1gb USB stick w/ compression software which is the size of a thumbnail and which I got at a steal for $25!

CD backups suck - that's what I'm doing with my pictures while I'm abroad and I've already lost about 40 to a damaged CD :sad: Of course all my pictures for the last 4 years are stored only on my external so if anything ever happened to it I'd probably cry for several weeks.

Vincent Vega said:
Too expensive.

FYI Any Internal Hard-drive can easily be made into an External HD. All you have to do is buy a case for your new Internal HD. That's what I did on mine. :)

Haven't seen such so far, but I think that's because I haven't looked for it. :)

I think, at least here, it's an cheaper alternative because externals really are expensive.

And I need a second drive at least.
Feel very vulnerable with only one HDD.

Back
Top Bottom