how about this for live shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's great for broadcasting, but you still need some way of capturing from the source (phones in this case), which isn't what that does. I suspect we'll have a good solution by the time the next tour rolls around. It's certainly my goal :)

i would like to find out how as well. maybe that can be my website project which i'm currently designing.

have something no other site does. but my question is, yes, is it legal and would we get in trouble for it because we're broadcasting it for free??? i would have no problems with legality but the promoters/security might, especially if they catch you out.

i mean at least we're able to tape the audio and have that. but maybe a web programmer could work on this? i'm no web programmer myself either.

Last edited:
There's no way security would catch anyone. Everyone has their cameraphones out, and this would appear no different.

It's really not a web development issue, unfortunately (that's what I do for a living). The issue is that, as far as I can tell, there's no phone application available that can take the video stream from a phone's camera and broadcast it to a server. If we could solve that, the rest (rebroadcasting, etc) is cake.

oh you're a web developer?

i'm a web designer (pretty hopeless too) but now you say it 'everyone has cameraphones out', i think not.

i mean you can broadcast from pc to phone, but not vice versa.

i'm still stumped on this...i keep thinking though.

i don't know if this is any help...

http://www.comvu.com/ - but then you'd be looking at issues of coverage, Bandwidth, signal issues, cost...quality doesn't matter as much though...i can't stream on my phone as it doesn't have wap, only 3G.

Like I said as long as we have recordings on sound then we're fine for now.

Aha! they're all SmartPhones?

Someone here would have to have one, surely.

Some quick inputs though:

- Cingular added 11 new nodes to its infrastructure. Guess where: in Hawaii!!! And it also improves wireless reception so that's a bonus.

- The service only can get about 10-16 frames a second so not hugely fast but it will work.

Last edited:
Assuming they had an unlimited data plan through Cingular (which is $60USD or so a month for smartphones), it should be free. I hope someone steps forward, 'cause this would be awesome :)

You're not wrong about it.

At $USD60 a month, that's about $AUD95 a month (I can't add or work out numbers for crap).

And we'd only need it for a day (two hours at the max), and no need to worry about whoever the support act is.

Not bad, better than what the Australian telcos offer, and would be a world first.

It is a great idea for those of us who cannot be there, but would this mean we'd have to set up a streaming IP server for it, and would everyone be able to view it on different OSes and media systems?

This is becoming really good though. Maybe we can get someone who is there to help us and would be willing to do it in their data cap?

U2.com or any of the other sites like u2exit.com or atu2.com wouldn't be willing to help us would they? I mean if they could have this as an exclusive (even if it is delayed a bit for those of us in the UK, Australia, NZ etc etc) it would be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom