Help! My Comps Broken !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prideofzootv

War Child
ok, i was on my pc, minding my own business,when the entire thing crashed, so ofcourse i restart my pc, however,...

first screen-Fujistsu siemans start up screen
screen 2-"the following file is missing or corrup:- C:/Windows/SYSTEM32"!!!

i tried fixing it with the restore CD, doing everything iwas told to by Fujitsu, until the helpline shut. not fixed it tho, so can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me here?

p.s. im on my brothers computer begging for help!

Reinstall Windows, then save every important file on your computer, format you hard drive and reinstall Windows again.

Yeah, System32 is more or less the most important thing, so any problem here can only be solved in hours of work with a Windows genius, or by reinstalling.

Normal installing would help to safe your data since it isn't destroying or deleting those.
But Windows works better if you fromat your hard drive and install Windows again, so the other install is only temporary.

Another way to secure Data would need some knowloedge of the good ol' Dos.

ok,
problem 1-i dont have a windows install disc
2-iv got sooo much stuff on my comp it would need around 500+CD's to save them, unless you know another way pf saving them.

prideofzootv said:
ok,
problem 1-i dont have a windows install disc
2-iv got sooo much stuff on my comp it would need around 500+CD's to save them, unless you know another way pf saving them.

heh....you're SOL. The system32 directory is pretty much all the important stuff that makes the computer work.

Why don't you have the install discs?

You can try getting your stuff off by connecting your hard drive as a secondary hard drive in another computer. Often you can still access things as long as the hard drive doesn't have to boot or run the drivers. My laptop died and I was able to easily access my files by connecting my hard drive to my work computer with a SATA to USB adapter.

prideofzootv said:
i dont have the install discs cos mine didnt come with any, just a product recovery disc i think

I would call the company then. If it's a valid computer, they should provide a recovery disc that includes the operating system.

I may even be on the hard drive already. My old HP computer had a recovery partition on the desktop that you could boot from and reinstall Windows.

Check the product manuals.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I would call the company then. If it's a valid computer, they should provide a recovery disc that includes the operating system.

:yes:

My mom was giving her computer to my sister, but it was kind of screwed up, and Mom didn't want any of the data on it anyway, so we just decided to do a reinstall and start from scratch...but Mom couldn't find her discs. I was able to order some through the company's web site for a small price. Of course, Mom found her discs soon after. :mad: :laugh:

Is there an easy way to backup all your 'important files' other than burning them all to data cd disks?

I usually end up with like 10 disks after doing a back up :crack:

Damn mp3 files :angry:

Sicy said:
Is there an easy way to backup all your 'important files' other than burning them all to data cd disks?

I usually end up with like 10 disks after doing a back up :crack:

Damn mp3 files :angry:

For people with this much data (myself included), using discs is pretty futile. I highly recommend an external hard drive or some USB device that can easily hold ALL backed up data and work universally on any computer. Discs take forever, the hold next to nothing (some of my videos are bigger than one data disc), and once they're burned, you can't make any changes.

When my comp. crashed, I connected the bad drive and my external USB drive to a different computer and copied the data from the bad drive to the external drive. Luckily, there were only two Word files that I needed, because I try to make a habit of doing regular backups and I was typing those documents the moment the hard drive died. However, it would not have taken much time to copy all of my data, especially if the middle computer has USB 2.0.

At this point, reinstalling Windows is going to erase all that data anyway....

Sometime you can avoid a reinstall of Windows by using the Windows repair function.

Of couse, you will need the OS disk to complete this task.

Livluv had an excellent idea regarding the hard drive. Using it as a secondary on another computer (or installing a new hard drive as a new primary on your computer - and installing the OS on the new drive). This way you recover the data (I've got about 200 GB of data on a secondary drive).

prideofzootv said:
so if i got a new hard drive, installed that as the primary HD, i can recover everything?

Try making it a secondary drive on an existing PC first, as LivLuv said above. I personally wouldn't buy another drive yet if I had another PC accessible to me.

yeh only problem is i dont have the correct lead to connect the PC's and the comp i can transfer over to has a hardrive the size of a pea! its tiny, no way could it take everything on my PC

Hard drives are cheap. get one to reinstall windows on (newegg had xp pro OEM on sale if you need a copy). Recover data from old one. once recovered, format old one, run chkdsk or some HD utlity to check the drive and if it checks out then use it as a back up drive. You can schedule Windows to automatically back your files up for you. Good Luck.

ok, i mite try that then, but once iv insalled the new hard drive, and set it as a primary hard-drive so i can actually use it, hwo do i transfer from the seconday hard drive to the primary?

prideofzootv said:
ok, i mite try that then, but once iv insalled the new hard drive, and set it as a primary hard-drive so i can actually use it, hwo do i transfer from the seconday hard drive to the primary?

You should end up with a C: and D: (or E:, etc.) drive. So, just copy from D: (or E:, etc.) to C:. The BIOS might need to be adjusted, depending on the PC. The new drive might come with some setup software too, and you might need to change the jumper position on the old drive to specify that it's a secondary drive.

so not that hard really, can you virus scan things as they transfer across? i dont want to bring any viruses across from the old HD to the new.

btw, if on startup it cant find windows anymore, nevermind finding system32, can you still retrieve everything off the HD?

prideofzootv said:
so not that hard really, can you virus scan things as they transfer across? i dont want to bring any viruses across from the old HD to the new.

btw, if on startup it cant find windows anymore, nevermind finding system32, can you still retrieve everything off the HD?

Only the new drive will require windows.
system32 or windows won't matter anymore on the old one because it's not the startup drive anymore - so you should be able to retrieve and run a virus scan prior to the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom