Help me plan a stereo system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just use the standard cable that probably comes along with the cd player. you can always buy an optical cable later on if you need it.

that's my plan for now, I think. As for the speaker cable, I might just have to wait until the speakers get here, look at the place where the speaker wire plugs in, and then take it from there.

A big thank you to everyone in here who's been helping me out. :)

^Nice box U2Man.

I have this:

I'm a big digital cable believer I guess.
I want the cleanest path possible. For audio I use firewire out from the CD player, coax out from the DVD player, and optical out from the cable box.

I try to use digital when possible too, but more because I've got a receiver with way too many inputs/outputs and I want to minimize the amount of cables coming out of it.

I've got this one:
TXSR702.jpg

Onkyo TX-SR702

RCA's not bad, but I don't like those cheap cables they throw in the box. They are the weakest link in the signal path on a good system. They degrade the overall system's performance and kind of defeat the purpose of spending all that money on components and speakers with superior internal wiring. The sound(or video) is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Are there better quality RCA cables I can buy to replace the ones that come with it? Maybe I'll just do that.

corianderstem said:
Are there better quality RCA cables I can buy to replace the ones that come with it? Maybe I'll just do that.

Yes - see radioshack.com for examples. Under $20 there will get you RCA(gold-plated), Optical, or Digital Coax (e.g. 6 feet). And under $10 with shipping on ebay will get you any of those. Given that they are all around the same price, the optical or coax is preferred and is actually the simplest to connect (one plug per end instead of two).

Thanks, ntalwar - you've been very helpful!

There's a Radio Shack in my neighborhood, so I'll likely pop down there for my cable needs.

Okay ... I fear I have become a cautionary tale.

My speakers won't be here until Monday, but I wanted to have everything ready. I have my receiver and CD player (yay!) and got some stereo wire terminated for me based on what I thought I needed. I even had someone this morning tell me that banana plugs should be fine with an Onkyo receiver.

So what's on the back of my receiver when I unpack it? Those little push-connectors, where you push the lever and shove the wires in. :(

I'm hoping when I have the speakers in hand that it will be obvious that a banana plug will pop right into the connection there. Diemen has the same speakers and told me he has banana plugs on his wires, so I'm guessing I'm okay there.

But for the receiver end, can I just take the wire I had done for me and cut a little off it, thus severing the banana plug connector and then strip the wires and insert as needed?

Or am I screwed, with way too much money spent to have the cables terminated?

Also, the instructions tell me to make sure I connect positive to positive and negative to negative ... if I'm just twisting bare wires together and shoving them into the push-slot, how do I know what's negative and positive?

I had no idea this shit would cause me so much stress. Then again, I might just be high-strung.

Last edited:
Okay. After much fretting, I went to Radio Shack and a rather humorless but very patient man helped me figure out what I need.

Valuable lesson learned: being proactive and wanting to be prepared is good, but next time I know to at least see the equipment in person before assuming I know what I'll need.

The good news is that the $$ spent on the cable is not lost. I just need to ditch one end with the banana plugs and start from scratch there.

Of course, I'll have to strip the wire and bought a wire stripper thingy ... which I would have needed if I'd decided to do it myself anyway.

But hey - chances are I would have gotten stuck trying to put the banana plugs on, so maybe it's all okay.

Fretting and freaking is over (knock on wood). I now return you to your regularly scheduled Blue Crack browsing. :wink:

Last edited:
Huh. I guess I'd assumed that your receiver would have the same kind of speaker inputs as mine since it's the same brand as mine. That's ok - now you'll know how to strip speaker wire! :wink:

And yes, the banana plugs will most definitely work on the speaker end. :)

Well, the other lesson I learned was to check online at the specs; the Radio Shack guy pulled up the receiver on his laptop, and there it was clear as day - it wouldn't take banana plugs for the speakers. :wink: But when he looked at the picture of the back of the Axiom speakers, he seemed confident the plugs would fit in there.

although the banana plugs that are on the end of my wire look different than the ones I saw at Radio Shack. They seem larger. :yikes:

The Radio Shack guy sold me these little things that twist over the exposed cable and then stick into the little push-connector thing. The instructions said I should just shove the bare wire in there, but maybe Mr. Radio Shack wanted me to spend an extra $10. I had a moment of panic when I didn't think the little flexy ends would fit into the push-connector holes, but they did, with some effort. I guess we'll see if everything works when the speakers come!

The only trouble I had is that when I was stripping the wire, I lost a tiny bit of the wires themselves. I'd pull the casing as gently as I could, but some of the wire would come with it. Is that normal, or do I need to keep trying until it comes off "clean"? It really was only a very little bit ... a few small pieces of wire.

Now I'm studying the receiver's instruction manual and making sure I know how to connect all the bits to it. It's a little confusing, but I think I figured it out. I might need to go buy a few extra cables.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

I had no idea this shit would cause me so much stress.

Welcome to the world of audio/video setup. :wink:

Also, the instructions tell me to make sure I connect positive to positive and negative to negative ... if I'm just twisting bare wires together and shoving them into the push-slot, how do I know what's negative and positive?

Not sure what your cable looks like but see if the wires have a "+" or red (positive) and "-" or black (negative) on them.

although the banana plugs that are on the end of my wire look different than the ones I saw at Radio Shack. They seem larger. :yikes:

They are probably flexible, so they should fit in the speakers.

The only trouble I had is that when I was stripping the wire, I lost a tiny bit of the wires themselves. I'd pull the casing as gently as I could, but some of the wire would come with it. Is that normal, or do I need to keep trying until it comes off "clean"? It really was only a very little bit ... a few small pieces of wire.

Yeah it's normal. It takes me a few tries to get it right - I'm paranoid about not cutting the copper strands.

The plugs I have aren't flexible, but hey, if they don't work, I know how to cut them off and find what WILL fit now.

Considering how high strung I can be sometimes, I'm surprised I got through my mini-crisis without dissolving into tears of mass frustration. :wink:

(knock on wood ... :reject: )

I haven't used the wire stripper before. I have used an exacto or utility knife and carefully cut the wire around all the way (but not through) and then yanked off the piece.

Regarding additional cables, I believe you only need a digital coaxial cable from the cd player to receiver.
Something like this

If I'd started from scratch, I would have bought an exacto knife and I believe that would have been much easier, as you said.

I called tech support at Axiom last week and they told me to get 12 gauge wire. I ended up with this thick-ass insulation around it that's frankly pretty ugly. The Radio Shack guy said it didn't need to be 12 gauge, and that's pretty thick. But for now, as long as the banana plugs stick into the back of the speakers, I'll be happy.

Later on, when I get tired of looking at that thick insulation, I might just go buy my own wire and a knife and start from scratch. :wink:

As for the digital coaxial cable, it's on my list to go and buy when I make my return trip to Radio Shack today. I think it's the last piece I need!

12 or 16 gauge (a little thinner) is sufficient for your set up.

I believe you mentioned you also want to use the dvd player through the receiver. In that case you will need a cable for that as well. You probably have only one coax input and 1-2 optical inputs. So you might need an optical cable (TOSLINK) for the CD player, and a digital coax for the dvd (it may not have optical). Get the length in advance and check the website price. Sometimes they don't have the web products in the store and like to sell something more expensive.

My head's starting to spin again. :( I can't keep all of this straight.

I only have two speakers ... is getting special cables for the DVD player going to help me out if I'm not set up for that whole shebang?

I mean, I just want to be able to put my plain old DVD and CD player audio through my nice new speakers.

I think the fact that my receiver is set up to have 5236 speakers attached is what's confusing me.

I know it'll be nice to have that option in the future, but for now, I just primarily want to have good-sounding music coming out, and hey, might as well throw my DVD player audio through the speakers as well since they're there.

I'm not looking for some Complete Home Audio experience thing.

Last edited:
^ You can also use analog or digital cables through the either or both cd and dvd player. Digital cables are preferred because there's no signal loss or noise. It's personal preference I guess.

I definitely want to buy a digital cable, but I guess I need to decide if I should use it for the CD player or DVD player, since there's just one slot for digital. :wink:

Thanks, ntalwar.

No problem.

Onkyo.com says your receiver has " Digital Inputs 1 Optical, 1 Coaxial ". So you should have 2 total. If you only want to use 1, use it for CDs.

Oh, I misspoke. I meant 1 coaxial. I did know about the optical one. I've never seen an optical jack/cable before, so that's all new to me.

I'm going to run back down to Radio Shack today or tomorrow and pick up a coaxial cable. And I'll use it for CDs. :up:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a stereo.

:weeping with joy:

Thank you all VERY, VERY much for your invaluable help.

I :heart: you all!

beware guys, in spite of what she says, she can turn grumpy on any of you any minute.

Back
Top Bottom