Help me plan a stereo system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, the only thing connected to the speakers is the receiver - everything else goes through the receiver.

I would actually stay away from eBay for cables (and....um, Monster Cable in general - it's horribly overpriced). It's better to deal with a reputable dealer than take a chance on individual sellers. Plus there's the hassle of bidding and all that.

Monoprice is a good site, and another good one is www.bluejeanscable.com. Good quality, no frills stuff, with fast shipping.

So have you decided on which speakers and receiver yet? :hyper:

:D

Yeah, I'm getting an Onkyo receiver and an Onkyo CD changer, and the Axiom speakers you had mentioned.

So basically, I ripped off your stereo setup. :wink:

Seriously though, I don't know the difference between one brand and the next, so I did some online research with reading user reviews.

My tax return should be in my account within a week or two, so as soon as it's there, I'm placing my orders! :hyper:

Tomorrow I'm going to Ikea to get a new TV stand that will be hold my TV, both speakers, VCR, DVD player, receiver and CD player.

:hmm: I wish I could give you my employee discount on that Onkyo receiver and the Monster Cable.:hmm:

Which receiver and dvd player did you select?

Which TV stand are you getting? (I work at IKEA)

And nice choice on the speakers. :D I'm sure you'll love em. Plan on staying up a little late listening to your favorite cds and hearing things you'd never noticed before. :up:

I may have to call in sick for a few days to break in the speakers. :wink:

The CD player is an Onkyo DX-C390, and the receiver is an Onkyo TX8222. I'm planning on ordering them through Circuity City online, and doing the in store pickup.

The speakers I'll have to ship to my work, and it'll be a slight pain lugging them home, but oh well.

As for the TV stand, I have three jotted down from the website, but I'm not yet convinced of which one I might get. Oppli, Ivar, or Hensik (hee hee hee at the names) ... the Hensvik is more of an entertainment center, which would be good because the speakers could sit on top, but I don't think the box o' parts and wood will fit in my little Saturn. :(

I'm going first thing Sunday morning because the thought of going down there Saturday afternoon makes me want to slit my wrists. In and out as fast as I can right when it opens, before it becomes a hellish nightmare of Ikea shoppers.

It's pretty out of the way from where I live and work, so weekends are easier. Plus, going Tues, Weds or Thurs would mean I'd be fighting rush-hour traffic to get there. Yucko!

corianderstem said:
the receiver is an Onkyo TX8222.

I would recommend looking into a surround sound receiver as well, to take advantage of the 5.1 DVD soundtracks.
The Onkyo TX-SR304S costs only a few dollars more, and if you decide to fill out your speaker set, you'll already have the receiver for it.

Thanks, I'll check it out, but I'm more concerned about listening to CDs than having surround sound for movies.

ntalwar is right. buying a surround receiver makes more sense these days. not just for movies, - but also concerts.

also, the beatles love album was recorded in 5.1, r.e.m. has re-released all their cds in 5.1 etc. etc.

corianderstem said:
Thanks, I'll check it out, but I'm more concerned about listening to CDs than having surround sound for movies.

The surround sound receiver can handle both, and it's only $10 more at Circuit City. Plus - the U2 DVDs in 5.1 :drool:.

corianderstem said:

The CD player is an Onkyo DX-C390, and the receiver is an Onkyo TX8222.

TX8222....$157
I recommend the TSXR604...I get it for $340.00 Retails for $499

DXC390....$140.00

Let me know.

... let you know what?

What makes the TSXR604 better? I don't know that I want to spend $499 or even $340 on a receiver.

But I can spend an extra $10 on the receiver with surround, so looks like I will take that upgrade. :up:

Diemen said:
And nice choice on the speakers. :D I'm sure you'll love em. Plan on staying up a little late listening to your favorite cds and hearing things you'd never noticed before. :up:

:drool: :drool: :drool:
No doubt.

In fact, be a real dork and try listening to tracks or albums left or right side only at a time. Talk about hearing new things.

Mark

I just got back from Ikea. I forgot how awesome that place is. I now have a chair in mind that I must have and will have to plan a return trip.

Okay gang, it's me again. I'm ordering my receiver, CD player and speakers tonight. :hyper:

But I'm still a little lost on cables. How do I know what kind of cables I need, connection-wise? If I know I have a receiver, is there just one kind of cable that will plug into a receiver and just need to decide on the brand?

I'm ordering the CD player and receiver through Circuit City and using in-store pickup. Will they be able to tell me what I need based on what I'm buying?

I have the recommendation from ntalwar to use digital output for the CD player into the receiver ... are there different kinds of connections (i.e., male to female, 1/4", banana, etc.)?

Ditto with the speakers. I know I have to get "speaker wire," preferably a thick gauge with good insulation. Do they come ready made, or do I need to get someone to strip them for me?

I feel a little clueless. :(

Congrats on taking the plunge! :applaud:

For the speaker cables, most local electronics stores only sell speaker cable in bulk (without connectors). I really wouldn't put too much stock in the brand. Just don't pay too much, but make sure you get enough length to get to the speakers. :wink: Since it's bulk you'd have to cut it and strip it yourself, but it's actually pretty easy to do, and there are connectors that are a snap to put on the ends, too. Banana connectors on both ends are generally the easiest to deal with (in my experience, anyway). But in case you want to avoid the hassle, sites like www.bluejeanscable.com and signalcable.com have complete sets starting around $60. You do end up paying more to have it assembled for you, but they are put together quite well.

For the cd player, if it has a digital output I would use that. Look for a digital coaxial cable at any electronics store (best buy/circuit city etc). Shouldn't need to pay more than $20 to get a decent one. If your cd player doesn't have a digital output, just get a standard pair of Stereo RCA cables.

The CD player will probably come with a standard stereo RCA cable. You could buy a digital coaxial cable and use the digital output, but I honestly don't think it's worth the money...I don't think it makes that much of a difference, and it would only make things more complicated for someone new to the world of stereo components. If you use the RCA cable, it's easy to hook up...there will no doubt be an input on the back of the reciever labeled 'CD' or something to that effect...just match white plug to white outlet and red plug to red outlet on both the back of the CD player and the back of the receiver and you're good to go.

If you're new to all of this, I wouldn't buy speaker cable in bulk. Stripping speaker cable can be a ROYAL pain in the ass. I have a fair idea of what I'm doing with it and I still suck at it. Buying in bulk IS much cheaper, but buying it pre-assembled is much easier. Should you choose to buy it pre-assembled, make sure you buy enough length to get from point A(receiver) to point B(speaker).

There might something to tell you about how to connect speaker cable to the speaker and the receiver, but I don't know if certain things have changed...perhaps somebody could tell me, does matching the side of a speaker cable with the white stripe to the red input on the reciever/speaker matter anymore?

Okay, thanks for the tips. I wouldn't know the first thing about stripping my own cable, so I'm going to have to splurge for the complete set.

I wouldn't use the RCA cables that come prepackaged with the CD player - they are usually the lowest end cables. An optical cable or coaxial cable should cost less than $20.

Circuit City may not offer pre-cut and assembled speaker wire. I got mine from an audio store. Make sure you get a few feet more than you need - otherwise it may not rest on the floor.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure where my speakers are going to go, but I don't mind if I have extra piled on the floor, so I'll err on the side of long. :wink:

I'll pick up an optical or coaxial cable at Circuit City when I pick up my equipment this weekend.

And I do believe I'll order some pre-cut and assembled speaker wire today from one of the sites Diemen recommended.

I'm guessing I'll have to check the specs of the speakers to know what kind of connection I'll need? Will the connection that plugs into the receiver always be the same kind?

The receiver might have grip speaker connectors, where you push a hinged terminal and the speaker input is revealed. Bare wire or banana plug should be compatible with this, but I would ask just in case. Spade lug termination may not work with that terminal type.

I just don't know if the coaxial cable is worth it for you. You're new to all of this, so I really doubt you're any kind of audiophile, and only an audiophile would have any problem with the sound quality given by the prepackaged RCA cable.

Your call, though.

While you're at it, don't forget a surge protector to protect your investment (mine also has a power filter). I prefer digital interconnects because they are balanced and don't pick up electromagnetic interference (noise).

On second thought, I have to agree with namkcuR on the speaker cable. There really isn't that much difference between digital and analog on most receivers when it comes to stereo music, so you might as well save some money and just got a short set of stereo rca cables.

if you want to listen to dts or dolby digital, you do need an optic cable, though.

Back
Top Bottom