Headphones...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeef690

Acrobat
This is a bit OT however I am in the market for a new set of headphones for my ipod.

I would prefer hifi phones but I am very curious to hear what everyone uses to achieve pure sonic bliss when listening to U2 studio and live tracks.

I just picked up some Form 2 Bang and Olfunsen from my local Apple Store but I am returning them as the sound quality isnt cutting it for 100 dollars and the cord is simply too long. They look pretty cool though.

Sennheiser PX-100. Not too big and boofy so you can use them at work, on public transport and even walking around outside and not look like a freak. But a great bassy sound well suited to rock music.

Here's what works really well for my iPod.

1. Create MP3's using the LAME encoder on the 'extreme' setting. Yes they are larger this way but they sound better.

2. Use MP3GAIN in 'album gain' mode with peak gain set to 88dB. This allows effective use of the iPod equaliser without it distorting the bass.

3. Use the iPod 'Acoustic' EQ setting.

4. And of course Sennheiser PX-100 headphones.

And with this all the talk about MP3's being inferior etc... goes away. The result is great sounding MP3's.

I don't have an ipod, but did recently get a pair of the Sennheiser PX-100's to use with a portable cd player and they are wonderful. An added bonus is the price is very reasonable (often $50 USD or less).

Yeah, it's amazing how 90% percent of MP3 sound quality complaints will disappear when you use a good encoder setting like LAME Alt Preset Standard VBR. People download 128 kb/s bitrate files off of Kazaa and wonder why their music collection sounds horrible on any good pair of speakers.

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah, it's amazing how 90% percent of MP3 sound quality complaints will disappear when you use a good encoder setting like LAME Alt Preset Standard VBR. People download 128 kb/s bitrate files off of Kazaa and wonder why their music collection sounds horrible on any good pair of speakers.

*Goes to download LAME*

Back
Top Bottom