have you ever sent in your ipod for service?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
has anyone here ever had to send in their ipod for service? My battery is acting up... so it's looking like I may have to. I know sometimes they come back reformatted etc. If I still have all my songs on my hard drive in itunes... the files should just load right back in when I plug back into my computer right? any help is well appreciated.... thanks.

I had to send mine in once. They sent me back a brand new one.

Sending that one back in tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a new one again.

I'm having bad luck with my iPod's

She ls Raging said:
has anyone here ever had to send in their ipod for service? My battery is acting up... so it's looking like I may have to. I know sometimes they come back reformatted etc. If I still have all my songs on my hard drive in itunes... the files should just load right back in when I plug back into my computer right? any help is well appreciated.... thanks.

my suggestion is to call apple directly and arrange for shipping or take it to an apple store (NOT an authorized reseller but a true apple store). i recently had a nightmare getting my laptop hard drive replaced at an authorized reseller/service center. it seems there was TERRIBLE communication all around. next time i will call apple and send it off myself or go up to king of prussia again.

inmyplace13 - i've had terrible luck with my ibook as of late. this is my third hard drive in less than two years of owning it. the second is as many months. it seems this drive is a different brand though so i'm hoping to not have anymore problems. you're not the only one with bad luck.

Well, my U2 iPod just froze up this weekend. Is that normal? Or do I need to get a new one? I thought for sure it wasn't going to cut itself off for the longest. After several minutes later and it getting hot to the touch, it finally shut itself off. I'm now afraid to turn it back on that it won't shut off and get hot again. I'm confused. My Rio player never once had any problems...this is messed up!!!

there should be trouble shooting suggestions in your manual. see if any of the reset options fix your problem. if not, take it into an apple store and have someone look at it. be logical.

My son had problems with his iPod and he sent it in under the warranty and they sent him a brand new one. He didn't have the fancy U2 iPod, but the one they sent him is better than the one he had.

Hi Kathleen! :wave:

I saw a special on the news that if your battery goes, the only way they can replace it is to send you a totally new iPod. So you will lose all your music if that's what's wrong. Good thing you have it backed up! Kind of a pain in the ass to have to reload it all, though.

How long have you had it for? The news report made it seem like they should last for 2 years.

my u2 iPod stuffed up a while ago... i sent it away and they didn't charge me anything coz it wasn't my fault

annnnd i got a brand new shiny U2 iPod!!

Allegra said:
Well, my U2 iPod just froze up this weekend. Is that normal? Or do I need to get a new one? I thought for sure it wasn't going to cut itself off for the longest. After several minutes later and it getting hot to the touch, it finally shut itself off. I'm now afraid to turn it back on that it won't shut off and get hot again. I'm confused. My Rio player never once had any problems...this is messed up!!!

Freezing up is normal....getting hot to the touch is not.

oliveu2cm said:
Hi Kathleen! :wave:

I saw a special on the news that if your battery goes, the only way they can replace it is to send you a totally new iPod. So you will lose all your music if that's what's wrong. Good thing you have it backed up! Kind of a pain in the ass to have to reload it all, though.

How long have you had it for? The news report made it seem like they should last for 2 years.

Hey Stranger!

I've only had my Ipod for about 5 months... although I use it constantly. In my car, on the train, in my home stereo, etc. I contacted Apple last night, and they are sending me the kit to have it sent in, and hopefully back to me quickly. They said 5-7 business days, is that a realistic time frame before I'd get it back?

OK...I went to Best Buy yesterday because that's where I bought the service plan and my U2 iPod. The guy behind the counter said that he gets on average 10 iPods a day for service.

10 IPODS A DAY?!?!?!?!?! :shocked:

Now that's just sad!

To me that would be a bad reflection on Apple and their products. So I then asked him how many Rio players he's seen. And he said very rarely. One here, one there, but nothing like the iPod. But he said not to worry, I should get it back in about 7-10 business days. And yes, I will have to reload it and it's gonna be a pain in my ass!

And to Se7en, :eyebrow: it is not logical for a player to freeze up and get hot. The guy said I have a bad hard drive and the only thing to do is to get the hard drive replaced or they'll send me a new one.

Allegra said:
<snip>

To me that would be a bad reflection on Apple and their products. So I then asked him how many Rio players he's seen. And he said very rarely. One here, one there, but nothing like the iPod. But he said not to worry, I should get it back in about 7-10 business days. And yes, I will have to reload it and it's gonna be a pain in my ass!

But how many Rio players do they sell compared to iPods? :shrug:

Hey Kathleen- I think getting a new iPod back within 2 weeks is reasonable. Enough time for them to receive yours, process the paperwork, and send you a new one.

Ok, I have to send it in again. this time it's freezing frequently, plus- it will only upload 600 of my songs. It's getting hot, and making a really loud whiring/clicking noise. This sucks. Thank God I got the warranty.

oliveu2cm said:
But how many Rio players do they sell compared to iPods? :shrug:
exactly. the ipod is the most popular mp3 player around. is it a popular best buy? if it's a huge/popular store, they probably have a lot of sales and thus have more repairs than other stores would, but also the guy at the store could've been exaggerating.

i've had an ipod for three years and it's given me no problems. only now am i starting to have some slight battery loss. no one else i've known has had any problems either.

Allegra said:
Oh and one more thing...

The good news is that my U2 iPod is the second one he's seen in for service. So I guess it's better than most. It should be for the money you have to put into it!

this location may have only sold 2 U2 ipods to begin with. :wink:

I keep reading about ipod dysfunctions--it's keeping me from purchasing one of my own. Maybe if I hold off a bit longer the kinks will be worked out. :hmm:

She Is Raging said:

That's exactly what I did, the click wheel was crapped up, it only worked when it wanted to - so I sent it back. Apple sent me a new one but the battery held like no charge. At one point it was so bad that I'd charge it overnight and then I'd get 10 minutes of playback. I re-formatted it, and it helped, then the battery started losing charge again. In the end it wouldn't play anything away from a mains power supply.

I got a new iPod for my birthday - so it's all groovy :)

Out of curiousity, if you send in your U2 ipod for service now, do they send you a U2 ipod back, or a different model?

I assume that they'd send you back a U2 one, unless they're out of stock :huh:

I sent my mini back after they'd stopped making them, and they sent me a mini back, so I don't think they'd send you a different iPod.

Allegra said:
OK...I went to Best Buy yesterday because that's where I bought the service plan and my U2 iPod. The guy behind the counter said that he gets on average 10 iPods a day for service.

10 IPODS A DAY?!?!?!?!?! :shocked:

Now that's just sad!

And to Se7en, :eyebrow: it is not logical for a player to freeze up and get hot. The guy said I have a bad hard drive and the only thing to do is to get the hard drive replaced or they'll send me a new one.

Thats pretty normal. It takes about 5 years on the market before they find the "kinks" and get them fixed.

Another random question : They're sending me a replacement ipod this time. Do you know - will it be a refurbrished one? Or a new one?

I think it'll be new, or it should be. - Mine was when I sent it in. They sent me a new one back, it even had my name lasered on the back because the original did.

I'm curious, if my ipod is acting up by constantly freezing and being nearly 10x slower than it was before, does this mean it should be sent back?

my ipod has never acted up or anything and I've taken good care of it. would this be service-worthy? would I need to get it fixed or is there any other way of fixing this problem?

(sorry if it's a very faq. it's my first time having issues with my ipod and I've had it since last May..)

My iPod video acted up when I first got it, sent it back to apple, and within five business days got a brand new one, flawless. Apple really is a good company, I've had my iMac for two months and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom