Have they fixed Windows Vista yet? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:17 AM
Have they fixed Windows Vista yet?

Like all Windows releases, Vista sucked at first but I'm assuming they've released one or two service packs and sorted out the major glitches. Seeing how I'll be getting my parents a new Notebook this week, I was wondering if Vista (Basic or Premium) is actually usable at this point, or that it would be a good idea to install XP as well.

DrTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:17 PM
I run Windows Server 2008 on my Mac laptop, which is basically a somewhat more stable version of Vista with a few tweaks for server environments (that I reversed). My general philosophy towards Vista is that it can run just fine if you treat it well - but all Windows versions are that way. Meaning, if possible, re-install every few months, don't install any anti-virus software (they slow down your computer as much as any virus), run Firefox, and just avoid situations where you could contract a virus/spyware/whatever.

However, I am a computer geek who spends the majority of my time in Linux, so my opinion shouldn't mean much.

digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Yes there is a service pack. I've been running Vista Business for a little over a year (and use a stripped down version of Symantec Endpoint I get for free, no slowness issues) and haven't had any problems, but the computer was built to run Vista so there was no question of whether or not drivers would work, etc. My computers at work run XP Pro and OS X Leopard. Really, neither is any better or worse as far as problems I've encountered. I like them all for various reasons. The Mac has unfortunately given me the most hassle but that was over applications I needed installed (CS3), not sure the OS itself was to blame.
Liesje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:17 PM
It's usable.

The major problem I had was with a Vista-incompatible printer. It was a couple of years old but it's a really good printer so I didn't want to toss it. I had a hell of a time finding drivers and even now, I've lost the scanning function of it, but whatever I don't need it that much.
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:17 AM
I have Home Basic, because, well I had to get it with my new laptop. My new laptop is pretty basic so it doesn't handle Vista all that well (in terms of speed)

Although I only ever really use it for web browsing, iTunes and interference
Here lies a signature where once upon a time upcoming gigs were stored.
bono_man2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

operating systems, vista, windows vista