Halp! My Microsoft Word Expired, I Don't Know What the Code Is, & Now I Can't Use It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Halp! My Microsoft Word Expired, I Don't Know What the Code Is, & Now I Can't Use It

I got all this stuff with my laptop last summer, but it was always telling me to register with a code, etc, which of course I promptly ignored. Once I decided to register, and thought I had the right code which was under my computer on a little sticker, but it said it was incorrect. Now it's expired and I can't use it at all except to read documents which is pretty lame.

Any tips on how to get the codes for this or any other stuff that might be expiring on me soon (I got this a year ago in September)?

:uhoh:

Did the computer come with a microsoft word booklet or CD? Usually the code in on one of the Microsoft License Certificates.

Usually, that certificate will come with other documentation that came with the computer, if the software came with the computer. Some OEMs only include trial versions of software, however, so if you can't find some sort of certificate with the license information on it in the documentation, then that's most likely the case, and you'll have to buy Micro$oft Word.

^^ Yep, methinks perhaps it's a trial version? Did you purchase Office? If not, then it most likely is. I've never seen a computer ship with Office included unless it was requested and purchased additionally. If so, they should have included the CD, and usually on the CD case or slip cover is a sticker with the code. The ones on the bottom of the computer are typically for Windows and the SNs and Service Tags for the computer itself.

I got all this stuff with my laptop last summer, but it was always telling me to register with a code, etc, which of course I promptly ignored. Once I decided to register, and thought I had the right code which was under my computer on a little sticker, but it said it was incorrect. Now it's expired and I can't use it at all except to read documents which is pretty lame.

Any tips on how to get the codes for this or any other stuff that might be expiring on me soon (I got this a year ago in September)?

:uhoh:

I'm doing the same thing, I haven't registered any of the things that pop up. It sucks when people send me attachments. :scream:

I doubt you had anything more than a trial version with the computer, (It wasn't on with any of the laptops i looked at recently without buying an additional package) so you'd just to go online or to costco and buy it.

stupid office :mad:

If you didnt get CDs with the computer it was a trial version of the product, youlle have to go out and buy a new copy which will have the code with it, of course make sure not to lose it or youlle have to call Microsoft which is a hastle to say the least.

Or download openoffice, and open/edit/create documents that are completely compatible and it's totally FREE!

:hmm:

I like this whole "getting it for free" thing...

I'll have to go and look if the CDs came with it. I don't really need word now as I'm not in school right now, but come fall I'm going to want to use it.

I also have to renew the virus thingys... If I had gotten another desktop I wouldn't but I've heard how much more vulnerable laptops are to that sort of thing so I'm renewing.

Or download openoffice, and open/edit/create documents that are completely compatible and it's totally FREE!

:up:

www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

They can read/write the Microsoft Word format, plus a whole lot of others. Plus, their native Open Document Format (ODF) is certified as the (future) standard for documents. Something which never happened with Microsoft's documents.
Try it, you won't be disappointed.

BTW, OpenOffice is more than just a replacement for Word. It also has a spreadsheet & presentation application (i.e. replacements for Excel and PowerPoint) and everything else Microsoft Office has.
:)

If you really need Office, join TechNet. It'll cost you about 250-350 bucks (scrounge around the net for coupons) but you can install just about ALL microsoft products except the development tools. Good for one year on up to 10 PC's. No tech support though.

Yes, just about ALL MS products including Office Premium, Vista Ultimate, etc.

Back
Top Bottom