Grab the paper towels, new Apple iPhone and Apple TV announcements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:
I hope you can change the battery on it, other wise your going to be spending alot for another one.
Looking at the photos of the silver-y rear of the phone, I'd assume the matte black area on the bottom is the battery, because otherwise the whole back would be silvery I think because of Apple's shi shi design conventions.

xaviMF22 said:

yea thats one of my concerns...I've yet to find a phone with a touchscreen that actually works......

apple could pull it off though....:hmm:

Even if it works, I still prefer the button to go down when I push it. Pressing fixed plastic can get annoying. I'll reserve judgment until I try it though.

I would assume so. Otherwise why put it on the back like that? That's the usual cell phone design convention.

image1xz0.png

The interface is gorgeous....takes some design cues from the Zune interestingly as far as the use of black.

accellerometer, it can tell whether you're in landscape and portrait. Like on a digital camera, when you turn the camera sideways, the picture refits itself on the screen to still be right side up.

Visual voicemail -- wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to listen to five of them to list to the sixth? Just like email you can go directly to the voicemails that interest you. <--- nice.

Last edited:
I see Widescreen iPods coming out in Fall 07.

Just by the time my 30 gig battery might die! :happy:

xaviMF22 said:
Boo :down: -- No 1080p support for that Apple TV :down:
Although HDTV is awesome, the rest of America is not keeping up with your HD glory.

This holiday season scores of people purchased discounted HDTVs from the big stores like Best Buy and were disappointed that their local cable TV still looked, unsurprisingly, like shit.

Until the HDDVD/Blue Ray format wars are decided, and more people subscribe to DirectTV-esque services offering large amounts of HD programming, there is no real need for Apple to support top of the line 1080p hehe.

Canadiens1160 said:
Although HDTV is awesome, the rest of America is not keeping up with your HD glory.

This holiday season scores of people purchased discounted HDTVs from the big stores like Best Buy and were disappointed that their local cable TV still looked, unsurprisingly, like shit.

Until the HDDVD/Blue Ray format wars are decided, and more people subscribe to DirectTV-esque services offering large amounts of HD programming, there is no real need for Apple to support top of the line 1080p hehe.

meh....

I agree about the format war, though I don't think we'll see a clear winner for quite a while....

for now I'll stick with my 360 for HD goodness...:wink:

I heard there's talks of making a Total HD DVD/Player

it would handle every type of High-Def DVD and even the original DVDs.

I'd be in for that :up:

It's cool that the iPhone is finally out after so long, but I dunno, I'm not going to spend $600 on a phone that only has 4 or 8 Gb. Plus, I have a pet peeve about getting screens dirty, so the fact that my fingers would be all over that screen would drive me nuts. And talking on it would get it even more dirty...anyway, it's beautiful, but I'm not going to buy it.

onebloodonelife said:
I have a pet peeve about getting screens dirty, so the fact that my fingers would be all over that screen would drive me nuts.

:yes: There's going to be a lot of greasy iPhones out there.
Cingular uses GSM and SIM cards, so the back will pop off to replace the SIM card/battery.

How much convergence do you/ we want?

I think I want my iPod / or mp3 player to have a good fm tuner
also a decent screen with images / jpgs
not sure about a camera or not
and a lot of storage 30 gig min. 80-100 gig would be nice.

I like my cell to have sorage for all contacts, good texting ability,
with email, and a decent screen would be nice, too.

and I guess at least a 3 mega pixal camera

I think pdas are a dying breed, they can be folded into a cell

I don't think I want all that folded into my music player

what do you all think?

onebloodonelife said:
It's cool that the iPhone is finally out after so long, but I dunno, I'm not going to spend $600 on a phone that only has 4 or 8 Gb.

well it's not just the storage space but the fact that it does pretty much everything, it's touch screen, and it looks beautiful. i mean, music, photos (not just storage but camera, and a good one for a phone), videos, wi-fi...all in a phone! and the browsing of albums looks cool as hell. i love the voicemail system too.

of course I don't have $600 to blow on this, I just got a new phone. but i can still look at it and :drool:

deep said:
How much convergence do you/ we want?

I think I want my iPod / or mp3 player to have a good fm tuner
also a decent screen with images / jpgs
not sure about a camera or not
and a lot of storage 30 gig min. 80-100 gig would be nice.

I like my cell to have sorage for all contacts, good texting ability,
with email, and a decent screen would be nice, too.

and I guess at least a 3 mega pixal camera

I think pdas are a dying breed, they can be folded into a cell

I don't think I want all that folded into my music player

what do you all think?

I think eventually we will just have one device for all those things. It'll take a while for it all to integrate well though.

I have a chocolate phone and don't use the mp3 capability because it drains the battery and I have a perfectly good ipod that I love.

As for cleanliness/smudges, it's easier to clean a smooth surface :up:

It's easy to clean, but you'll have to do it a few times a day. The same screen you want to watch videos on, you will just have touched to select the video.

iphone :drool:

cingular :rant:

great, another awesome phone i love available only through cingular. i guess i'll just have to wait and see which becomes available to t-mobile first.

AtomicBono said:

well it's not just the storage space but the fact that it does pretty much everything, it's touch screen, and it looks beautiful. i mean, music, photos (not just storage but camera, and a good one for a phone), videos, wi-fi...all in a phone! and the browsing of albums looks cool as hell. i love the voicemail system too.

of course I don't have $600 to blow on this, I just got a new phone. but i can still look at it and :drool:

True, but for me to even consider buying in the future, it would have to be an iPod replacement. There's no way I'd carry around the iPhone and the iPod. Plus, you can't really hold that many videos, photos, and music all on 4 or 8Gbs. So, yes, it can do all this great stuff, but without the adaquate storage to back it up, it's nearly useless.

For me, it's pretty, but that's about it. And the fact that I just moved to Sprint and got the RED Razr...that was $65 with a 2 year agreement vs. $600 for the iPhone.

Wow. Though I would probably get annoyed with the ear print, that is one sexy phone, and the interface is just amazing! How they've managed to fit so many different things into one phone and have it all work together so seamlessly is really incredible.

Mad props to Apple for this one. I don't care about the price, cause I'm not going to buy one anytime soon, but this thing is going to be huge.

People said the iPod Photo was expensive and it was aimed at the high price end when it came out. Now, it's basically the standard 5G model everyone has.

In two years the iPhone will be cheap, refined, more available, and everyone will have one.

The capacity will increase, but I'd buy this as a phone first and a multiwhatever later.

I don't know about you guys but I live in a city and I plug into my music library every day. I have absolutely no need to carry 60GB of music around with me to Shuffle. I probably end up listneing to less than 0.5 GB of music files a day and maybe 0.25 GB of podcasts. Ideally I'd load up an 8 GB iPhone with a couple of albums and have it sync my Podcasts daily and I'd be happy.

I also don't know anyone who wants to carry around thousands of photos in a phone :|

The importance of this product is that is looks like it will be the first in a new generation of cells that will emphasize beautiful user interfaces and will at least give us the option of additional services like web browsing in a practical manner for the first time.

Last edited:
deep said:
A lot of people I know are plugging their iPods into speakers

and using them to replace stereo systems

I talk on my cell

with the music on in the background

try that with an iPhone

I say this thing will bomb .....but thats just me...:shrug:

it has good features and it may look nice...nothing really makes me want to buy it.....

although..Apple could put a product called iDirt, and people would still flock to stores to buy them......:wink:

I think it might not live up to the hype as well and not sell great. It's not quite a breakthrough product like the iPod. My Samsung A707 already does most of what the iPhone does.

Back
Top Bottom