Google Chrome OS on its way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
washingtonpost.com

Google Chrome OS To Launch Within A Week

Who's Blogging» Links to this article

Michael Arrington
TechCrunch.com
Friday, November 13, 2009; 12:23 AM

Google's Chrome OS project, first announced in July, will become available for download within a week, we've heard from a reliable source. Google previously said to expect an early version of the OS in the fall.

What can we expect? Driver support will likely be a weak point. We've heard at various times that Google has a legion of engineers working on the not so glamorous task of building hardware drivers. And we've also heard conflicting rumors that Google is mostly relying on hardware manufacturers to create those drivers. Whatever the truth, and it's likely in between, having a robust set of functioning drivers is extremely important to Chrome OS's success. People will want to download this to whatever computer they use and have it just work.

We expect Google will be careful with messaging around the launch, and endorse a small set of devices for installation. EEE PC netbooks, for example, may be one set of devices that Google will say are ready to use Chrome OS. There will likely be others as well, but don't expect to be able to install it on whatever laptop or desktop machine you have from day one. Google has previously said they are working with Acer, Adobe, ASUS, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, and Toshiba on the project.

We've seen convincing and not so convincing screenshots of Chrome OS over the last several months. The good news is the speculation is about to end, and you can try it out yourself. If you have one of the supported devices, that is.

any one going to give it a try?

Soon enough this will be shipping on every netbook and low-end laptop out there.

In ten years we will be using Google Chrome OS and Microsoft will have split into several companies and will deliver most of its current product lineup (Office) online only.

Changeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :crack:

I'm all for this. Hopefully, this morphs into a general purpose FREE operating system for use in all PCs, not just netbooks. I fully understand the challenge of drivers, but Linux has been able to handle most hardware and I suspect Chrome could as well.

From everything I have read, Chrome OS will initially be aimed at low-end netbooks, some possibly with NO hard drive at all. While I question some security aspects of "cloud computing", I do think this could be a significant step forward, especially if Chrome can be expanded to run off a hard drive on regular desktops and stand-alone PCs.

Linux is fine, but most folks don't really understand it.. but with the Google name, Chrome could appeal to a wider range of PC users. A FREE, stable, easy to install, and bloat-free alternative to Windows would appeal to an awful LOT of people.

Back
Top Bottom